rumatt
05-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Just making fun of Plaz.

Plaz and I are slowly becomming self-trained expert mechanics :speechle:

Plaz, did you get the diff yet?

Plaz
05-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Yeah, scary, huh?

The DIY looks *really* straightforward... especially since the diff I got is from another 330 (a 3.38 from a 330 w/step), so there's not even any monkey business with swapping flanges, etc.

I'll give it a shot with a buddy of mine one of these upcoming weekends.

I decided to try it myself after Rolf's quoted me $400. :rolleyes:

And I'll throw on the new UUC endlinks as long as I'm back there screwing things up.

clyde
05-03-2005, 12:39 PM
And soon, you too can look like this:

http://teamwtf.org/gallery/albums/album12/pics_019.sized.jpg

FC
05-03-2005, 01:20 PM

http://teamwtf.org/gallery/albums/album12/pics_019.sized.jpg

Is that Nick? And if so, what is he doing under that car in that outfit? :? (...nevermind asking what he is actually doing in that picture).

TD
05-03-2005, 01:25 PM

[Shazam pic deleted]

Is that Nick? And if so, what is he doing under that car in that outfit? :? (...nevermind asking what he is actually doing in that picture).

Poke around Nick's stale site for pics of him at a few of our tech days (which were all years ago now). He's in dress clothes at each one. And it's not like he didn't do anything, either. He dove right in, he was just wearing slacks.

http://www.nrubenstein.com/gallery/cars

FC
05-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Poke around Nick's stale site for pics of him at a few of our tech days (which were all years ago now). He's in dress clothes at each one. And it's not like he didn't do anything, either. He dove right in, he was just wearing slacks.

WTF? :?

That's pretty funny. I wont ask what compels him. :eeps:

TD
05-03-2005, 01:31 PM

You've heard us say it here before...

We suspect he doesn't own any jeans or shorts. None of us has ever seen him in either.

JST
05-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, scary, huh?

The DIY looks *really* straightforward... especially since the diff I got is from another 330 (a 3.38 from a 330 w/step), so there's not even any monkey business with swapping flanges, etc.

And I'll throw on the new UUC endlinks as long as I'm back there screwing things up.

How much did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

JST
05-03-2005, 01:33 PM

He should be in a Docker's ad. But what would we use as a soundtrack?

TD
05-03-2005, 01:34 PM

He should be in a Docker's ad. But what would we use as a soundtrack?

ROTFLMAO

rumatt
05-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Is that Nick? And if so, what is he doing under that car in that outfit? :?

Should have seen him working the course in the pouring rain in that outfit. :twisted:

FC
05-03-2005, 01:35 PM

We suspect he doesn't own any jeans or shorts. None of us has ever seen him in either.

That is as good a theory as I can think of... but that again begs the question of why would he not want to own jeans or shorts? :? It's highly illogical no matter how you slice it.

FC
05-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Is that Nick? And if so, what is he doing under that car in that outfit? :?

Should have seen him working the course in the pouring rain in that outfit. :twisted:

You're kidding.... he Autoxes in that outfit? :shock: :shock: :shock:

TD
05-03-2005, 01:37 PM

That is as good a theory as I can think of... but that again begs the question of why would he not want to own jeans or shorts? :? It's highly illogical no matter how you slice it.

You clearly haven't met Nick or followed his posts very closely.

Neither logic nor the opinions of others enter into Nick's decision making process.

rumatt
05-03-2005, 01:38 PM
You're kidding.... he Autoxes in that outfit? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey.. wear whatever you're comfortable in.

TD
05-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm really curious as to what he wears to the beach.

rumatt
05-03-2005, 01:44 PM

:lol:

Cut-off slacks?

Roadstergal
05-03-2005, 01:45 PM

I'm not! Wet buttondown contests are not my thing.

As to the original post...
Why not?

zach
05-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Cut-off slacks?

:lol: :lol:

The HACK
05-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Those output shaft bolts are harder than you think...It require a special tool to remove them. It's like a female torx nut and you must remove and install them in a certain order similar to how you put on and remove wheel lugs.

Also loosen the center support bracket for the drive shaft, that will allow you to "push" the driveshaft out of the way when you get the diff off. Make sure you have someone holding up the diff as you remove the diff bolts, because it weights about 30 lbs.

While you have the diff off, might I recommend installing the Z4 3.0 auto differential cooling fins? You just need the part, new rear seals, proper sealant, and a fresh 1.2 quart of diff oil. Doesn't add much in performance but will keep the diff cool at the track.

Saw Imad do all that at European Motor Works in less than 20 minutes. Amazing what a train professional can do.

Nick M3
05-03-2005, 03:10 PM
So, just to clarify, no, I do not own any jeans. I do have a couple of T-shirts, but those were free hand outs.

And anyway, khakis hold up very well.

rumatt
05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
So back on topic... remind us why you were having a sword fight with a drive?

Nick M3
05-03-2005, 03:18 PM

I was blowing clutch dust out of the bell housing with compressed air. As I had no desire to stand in the huge cloud, I elected to adopt a stance that would permit a rapid retreat. Any questions?

clyde
05-03-2005, 04:00 PM

I was blowing clutch dust out of the bell housing with compressed air. As I had no desire to stand in the huge cloud, I elected to adopt a stance that would permit a rapid retreat. Any questions?

Yes. Was it also your intention to amuse use, or was it just a happy byproduct?

Nick M3
05-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I believe that was a happy by product.

ZBB
05-03-2005, 04:30 PM
So, just to clarify, no, I do not own any jeans. I do have a couple of T-shirts, but those were free hand outs.

What about shorts and the previously asked beach question?

rumatt
05-03-2005, 04:32 PM

Nude beaches only. :dunno:

I vote we let this question go.

Damn, this thread on swapping diff's went to hell, eh?

Nick M3
05-03-2005, 04:33 PM

No shorts, although I do a couple pairs of swimming trunks. :flipoff:

Plaz
05-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Yeah, scary, huh?

The diff itself? It's used, with about 15,000 miles on it (according to dude... no way to verify). I got it for just over $400, including FedEx ground shipping from SoCal.

Circle BMW quoted me over $1500 for a new one. :shock:

Plaz
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Those output shaft bolts are harder than you think...It require a special tool to remove them. It's like a female torx nut and you must remove and install them in a certain order similar to how you put on and remove wheel lugs.

E12 external Torx... I drove around for hours looking for one last Saturday. Ended up ordering one online. Didn't know about the order thing though... makes sense, for even torque application.

Also loosen the center support bracket for the drive shaft, that will allow you to "push" the driveshaft out of the way when you get the diff off. Make sure you have someone holding up the diff as you remove the diff bolts, because it weights about 30 lbs.

While you have the diff off, might I recommend installing the Z4 3.0 auto differential cooling fins? You just need the part, new rear seals, proper sealant, and a fresh 1.2 quart of diff oil. Doesn't add much in performance but will keep the diff cool at the track.

Saw Imad do all that at European Motor Works in less than 20 minutes. Amazing what a train professional can do.

20 minutes? :shock:

I'm banking on closer to 20 hours for me and a buddy. :lol:

Here's the DIY I plan on using... mind taking a look and letting me know if there's anything heinously wrong or missing?

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/

(Gleaned from this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145570 )

Plaz
05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
I don't wear shorts either. I don't need to inflict the sight of my white chicken legs on anyone.

I do wear jeans (or sweats, or running pants) whenever I'm not at work, though. And I never wear khakis... only "real" dress slacks.

FC
05-03-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't wear shorts either. I don't need to inflict the sight of my white chicken legs on anyone.

I do wear jeans (or sweats, or running pants) whenever I'm not at work, though. And I never wear khakis... only "real" dress slacks.

I like to wear soccer shorts for exercising etc in nice weather or even just around the house, but I hate to wear any other kind of shorts (like cargo shorts).

dan
05-03-2005, 05:22 PM
95% of my waking hours are spent in shorts or cargo pants

it used to be shorts or jeans, but cargos are so much more comfortable than jeans, that I'm pretty much off jeans now

ZBB
05-03-2005, 05:33 PM

Hint: Wearing shorts gets rid of the "white chicken legs"

Plaz
05-03-2005, 05:34 PM

Not quickly enough. :lol:

The HACK
05-03-2005, 05:43 PM

E12 external Torx... I drove around for hours looking for one last Saturday. Ended up ordering one online. Didn't know about the order thing though... makes sense, for even torque application.

20 minutes? :shock:

I'm banking on closer to 20 hours for me and a buddy. :lol:

Here's the DIY I plan on using... mind taking a look and letting me know if there's anything heinously wrong or missing?

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/

(Gleaned from this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145570 )

Looks pretty thourough. The diff swap Imad did was on an E36 and it didn't have the U shaped bracket in front of the diff, so access to the drive shaft was easy and the diff came right out.

Plaz
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Looks pretty thourough. The diff swap Imad did was on an E36 and it didn't have the U shaped bracket in front of the diff, so access to the drive shaft was easy and the diff came right out.

Thanks for checking it out. Hopefully it will go smoothly.

clyde
05-03-2005, 07:47 PM

Nor does it remove the "chicken" component.

Of course, why would your legs be like that if you wear running pants? :scratch: Unless, of course, you're not actually running in them (and before you respond, please note that leaving "runs" inside the seat does not qualify).

Roadstergal
05-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Distance runners have chicken legs.

clyde
05-03-2005, 07:56 PM

interesting

I never would have pegged plaz for a distance runner

Roadstergal
05-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Neither would I, but

Of course, why would your legs be like that if you wear running pants?

running does not prevent chicken legs. If you're disposed to skinny legs, squats is the perscription...

Plaz
05-03-2005, 08:27 PM

Of course, why would your legs be like that if you wear running pants? :scratch: Unless, of course, you're not actually running in them (and before you respond, please note that leaving "runs" inside the seat does not qualify).

I run to the 'fridge.

I didn't say it was a skinny chicken.

TD
05-03-2005, 08:27 PM

interesting

I never would have pegged plaz for a distance runner

Especially considering the whole smoking thing. :eeps:

bren
05-03-2005, 09:28 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353243

BahnBaum
05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Someone with some pchop skills needs to take the pic of Nick and his car and put him in some daisy dukes.

Alex

FC
05-04-2005, 09:34 AM
running does not prevent chicken legs.

I disagree... thin, yes. "Chicken legs, no." Slender, but strong and sculpted does not equal chicken legs in my book.

Yes, I am defensive. :mad:

clyde
05-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Sounds like you have chicken legs to me

rumatt
05-04-2005, 09:51 AM

No doubt.

clyde
05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Anyone else in favor of a new user title for mbr?

"5 year plan to end chicken leg syndrome"

Jason C
05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Anyone else in favor of a new user title for mbr?

"5 year plan to end chicken leg syndrome"

How about just "chicken leg syndrome." :kekeke:

Optimus Prime
05-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Neither would I, but

Of course, why would your legs be like that if you wear running pants?

running does not prevent chicken legs. If you're disposed to skinny legs, squats is the perscription...

I could squat a lot in college while running distance and my legs never really got much bigger. Same with Calf(sp?) raises. They never seemed to make my calves bigger, the mucles would just get more dense.

FC
05-04-2005, 10:26 AM

I have nice legs. Damn you all! :mad:

Optimus Prime
05-04-2005, 11:06 AM

http://l00074.myspace.com/00074/21/74/74274712_l.jpg
:)

FC
05-04-2005, 11:07 AM

http://l00074.myspace.com/00074/21/74/74274712_l.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rumatt
05-04-2005, 01:50 PM

It's not often that you see guys trying to convince other guys that they have nice legs.

ZBB
05-04-2005, 03:06 PM

It's not often that you see guys trying to convince other guys that they have nice legs.

Can y'all do me a favor and keep it at that. I don't need to :vomit:

Rob
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Bicycling ends the chicken leg syndrom. At least it does if you spend a lot of time riding in the hills. Running . . . doesn't.

rumatt
06-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Plaz, update on the diff install???

Plaz
06-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Plaz, update on the diff install???

It's still installed quite nicely in a box on my garage floor. :eeps:

rumatt
06-27-2005, 11:28 AM

Damn, I'm way to impatient and compulsive to let a new toy sit that long without installing it.

I'm curious what you'll think of it. With my wasted 6th gear, it would be a great fit for my car. :eeps: Plus, I've always wanted an LSD, so I'm occasionally tempted to do something stupid and waste a lot of money.

Plaz
06-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Damn, I'm way to impatient and compulsive to let a new toy sit that long without installing it.

I'm curious what you'll think of it. With my wasted 6th gear, it would be a great fit for my car. :eeps: Plus, I've always wanted an LSD, so I'm occasionally tempted to do something stupid and waste a lot of money.

I'm normally too impatient myself, but I've put in a Lidatek and an Ice>Link in the mean time.

I just need a wide-open weekend to do it. I want to be sure I have Saturday AND Sunday free, so in case Saturday ends in heartbreak and ruin, there's a chance of getting the car back together properly for the Monday morning commute.

clyde
06-27-2005, 12:09 PM
You'll never make the Team WTF?! cut with that kind of attitude. :rolleyes:

Plaz
06-27-2005, 12:15 PM
You'll never make the Team WTF?! cut with that kind of attitude. :rolleyes:

"Heartbreak and ruin be damned" is part of the team orders?

clyde
06-27-2005, 12:15 PM
No...you just don't let those negative waves into the room

Plaz
06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
No...you just don't let those negative waves into the room

http://www.platinumcostumes.com/images/products/8630HippieMd.jpg

Arockalypse
08-04-2005, 09:50 PM

2 Months later and I'm still wating for the call...

Should I just pencil it in for next summer?

Plaz
08-05-2005, 06:40 AM

2 Months later and I'm still wating for the call...

Should I just pencil it in for next summer?

:flipoff:

Maybe this is the weekend. Let me think about it for the day...

Are you free tomorrow?

Arockalypse
08-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Are you free tomorrow?

Yeah. Tomorrow would be good if you are up for it.

I have springs, sways, and links coming :banana: -- which means that next weekend I'll be disassembled, dismantled, and perhaps dismembered.

Plaz
08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Are you free tomorrow?

Yeah. Tomorrow would be good if you are up for it.

I have springs, sways, and links coming :banana: -- which means that next weekend I'll be disassembled, dismantled, and perhaps dismembered.

Do you have a spring compressor?

ff
08-05-2005, 09:58 AM

Arockalypse
08-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Do you have a spring compressor?

Can rent one from NAPA or AutoZone. Cheap to buy too. $35 or so for the manual crank type.

rumatt
08-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Can rent one from NAPA or AutoZone. Cheap to buy too. $35 or so for the manual crank type.

You can also borrow the NJ BMWCCA one if you're a member (and if it's not already out).

Arockalypse
08-05-2005, 01:05 PM
You can also borrow the NJ BMWCCA one if you're a member (and if it's not already out).

Way to go Rumatt! I'm not a member, but my father is. He called and reserved the tool for me.

Thanks!

rumatt
08-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Way to go Rumatt! I'm not a member, but my father is. He called and reserved the tool for me.!

Nice.

As payment, when I next need the compressor, I'll need you to pick it up for me and be available to help me swap my springs.

Thank you.

:P

Plaz
08-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm not a member

Says who? :flipoff: :lol:

Arockalypse
08-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm not a member

Says who? :flipoff: :lol:

Uhhh...

I got nothin'.

So --> :flipoff:

rumatt
08-05-2005, 05:38 PM
So --> :flipoff:

OK you two... get a room. :flipoff:

JST
08-05-2005, 05:46 PM
All this talk about members and tools is too much for me, especially after dredmo's buttless chaps picture earlier today.

Arockalypse
08-05-2005, 07:27 PM
As payment, when I next need the compressor, I'll need you to pick it up for me and be available to help me swap my springs.

Well, if you work in midtown that probably wouldn't be a problem.

But you might want to wait and see a) how much of a help I am with Plaz's diff and b) how my own spring swap goes before asking for my help. :eeps:

Plaz
09-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, Arockalypse and I got it installed today. Even though the diff (verified as a 3.38) supposedly came from an automatic 330, the flanges had to be swapped. A-rock ended up hammering the damn things out using various screwdrivers, chisels, and other sharp pointy things.

Come to think of it, just referring to it as the "flange" is misleading... it was actually the whole output thingamabob... not just the flange on the end.

Anyway, only took a drive around the block so far, to make sure it works. So far, it definitely feels as if it's getting more torque to the ground, though it's not an astonishing difference. It's revving about 500 rpm higher at 40mph in 2nd... I had hit 4K rpm at 35mph. It's eager to rev higher. It also seems to have removed any feeling of bogging down on upshifts at moderate revs.

I'll opine more once I've driven it more.

kognito
09-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Cool, sure picked a nice day for it. Certainly wasn't a baseball game to watch today :toetap:

Don't for get to check your speeds with a GPS (your NAV can do that, can't it??) rear gear will effect your speedometer readings

(you don't need another ticket)

Plaz
09-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Cool, sure picked a nice day for it. Certainly wasn't a baseball game to watch today :toetap:

: puke:

Don't for get to check your speeds with a GPS (your NAV can do that, can't it??) rear gear will effect your speedometer readings

I didn't think that was the case on the E46... are you sure?

JetBlack330i
09-10-2005, 11:55 PM

(you don't need another ticket)
That's messed up.
Ground speed has to do with tire, not engine or differential, revolutions per unit of time.

Arockalypse
09-11-2005, 08:08 AM
A-rock ended up hammering the damn things out using various screwdrivers, chisels, and other sharp pointy things.

Yeah. "Pop right out", my ass.

So as I was driving back from your place last night I was thinking about how I banged the 2.93 flanges back into the 3.38 using the wood block/hammer method. Although they seemed to have gone in smoothly, in retrospect I'm wondering if we should have been more thoughtful and constructed some sort of clamping mechanism to press them back in instead.

Just hoping that by banging back in we didn't do any damage to any teeth.

Plaz
09-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah. "Pop right out", my ass.

So as I was driving back from your place last night I was thinking about how I banged the 2.93 flanges back into the 3.38 using the wood block/hammer method. Although they seemed to have gone in smoothly, in retrospect I'm wondering if we should have been more thoughtful and constructed some sort of clamping mechanism to press them back in instead.

Just hoping that by banging back in we didn't do any damage to any teeth.

I'm sure that would have been better, but if there had been any damage, I'd think we would have noticed it right away on the test drive.

Additionally, if the banging had "cross-threaded" the tongues and grooves, I'd think the "flanges" 1) wouldn't have seated all the way in as they did (that's hardened steel after all... we weren't *that* manly), and 2) wouldn't turn at all... at least not by hand as they did before we re-re-mounted the diff, and not without some dramatic noises and vibrations once in motion.

I'll keep thinking everything's okay until the stripped-out diff gives up the ghost and leaves me motionless halfway across the Hudson in the Lincoln Tunnel. Keep an eye out for me on the news... nothing like pissing off a few thousand commuters at rush hour. :lol:

Plaz
09-11-2005, 09:38 AM
That's messed up.
Ground speed has to do with tire, not engine or differential, revolutions per unit of time.

Yeah, I really think my speedo is fine... the speedo and tach readings seem to match what gear calculators say my rpm:speed should read for the new ratio.

:dunno:

kognito
09-11-2005, 11:26 AM
speedometer display is calculated from output of transmission in conjunction with rear gear, and overall wheel size. There is a correction factor that can be programmed if you have access to a programming tool. Before purchasing my GMC, I looked into changing the front and rear gears on my F150 to be able to increase my towing capacity. The F150's speed computer would have to be reset for the change in gears, but I could not change to GVWR on the door plate.

NOTE: I do not know 100% if this is how BMW calculates speed, But I do know this is the way the USA cars calculate it.

I was taught that "things you don't check, are done wrong"

kognito
09-11-2005, 11:28 AM
That's messed up.

How is changing the tire diameter different than changing the rear gear??

it results in the same effect.

JST
09-11-2005, 12:13 PM

Yes, but it depends on where the speed is measured.

Not sure if the E46 has a speed sensor in the diff or not--Plaz, did you see one?

If it doesn't, the car might get the speed info from the ABS sensors, which wouldn't be affected by a diff swap.

kognito
09-11-2005, 12:56 PM
maybe it is different due to the XI setup, but my 325XI had what looked like a sensor output on the tail of the transmission.

I thought using wheel sensors is a problem unless the car is going straight all the time.

And, by what Plaz said the improvements are, it appears he raised the rear gear. This would actually make the speedo read slower than he is actually traveling, and he wouldn't have to worry about speeding tickets.

The change (in speed) is probably minimal anyway

Plaz
09-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Not sure if the E46 has a speed sensor in the diff or not--Plaz, did you see one?

Nope. No wires.

I know it's far from the end-all-be-all in accurate info, but several posts on fanatics indicated there should be no speedo issue. One poster mentioned the E46 getting speed info from the left rear wheel. :dunno:

Plaz
09-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Took a little 30min. drive just now. With the feel of the 2.93 diff still fresh in my mind, here's how I see the differences.

The car now feels as if it LEAPS off the line. Very nice.

It feels like torque is always on tap. Punching the gas at lower rpms in any gear is much more responsive.

In a paradoxical twist, it simultaneously feels like a more powerful car, and a less powerful car. The newfound peppiness feels like the former, while the lower speeds of the shift points make it feel like the latter.

It's interesting. I'm pretty sure I like it. I'll be interested to see how it feels after I've acclimated to it for a few weeks.

clyde
09-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Go out on a freeway with a stopwatch. Set the cruise at any specific speed. Start the stopwatch as you pass a mile marker. Stop it when you pass the next one. Divide 3600 by the number of seconds it took you to travel that mile. For better accuracy, time yourself over a longer distance (and multiply 3600 for each mile). Don't change lanes and don't change speed. The result is your speed.

ff
09-12-2005, 08:52 AM
In a paradoxical twist, it simultaneously feels like a more powerful car, and a less powerful car. The newfound peppiness feels like the former, while the lower speeds of the shift points make it feel like the latter.

Exactly. You should spend some time in an S2000. It took me a while to get used to the very short gearing. The car felt really fast, but at the same time, the short gearing made it feel very slow. But once you get used to it, you don't want it any other way.

JetBlack330i
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Because the speedometer sensor is sensing tire revolution per unit of time. That's all that's needed and the most direct way (and I'd argue simplest and accurate way) to detect ground speed, other than using a GPS.
Measuring anything else (engine/differential rpm) is not guaranteed to be correlated to ground speed.
I guess you could make the argument that tire revolutions are also not guaranteed to be correlated to ground speed, but it's the closest thing tho that (it actually touches the ground whereas the others are just spinning...).

lupinsea
10-19-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking the shorter shifts wouldn't be a big deal for me. In the Miata I drive I already need to pull 3rd gear in order to hit 60mph. With the close ratio 6 spd MT and the 4.11 rear end there are some relatively short shifts . . . however, it's a lot of fun since I get to listen to the engine rev to 7000 rpms each time before I shift. :D I like the aural feed back, though it may mean the car is not as quick as it could be.

So, Plaz, after having the new diff in the car for over a month what are your impressions now? Still like it? How is it on the highway when your not, er, playing around? Do you feel the RPMs are too high just cruizing? And did you get the software tweak to bump your RPM red line up higher to compensate?

Coming from the world of Jeeps that rear diff swap as outlined on that website looks easy as pie. With regearing on the Jeep diffs its really best to let the pro's handle it since the diff carroer is built into the axle houseing. You need to really know what your doing to set the proper gear lash, pre-load, pinion gear depth, yadda yadda yadda. I've re-build engines, fabricated my own sandrail, modded most of the stuff on my jeep myself, but I won't touch the guts of a Jeep diff. :ack:

rumatt
10-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Do you feel the RPMs are too high just cruizing?

Get a 2003.5+ and you won't have to worry about it because they have a 6th gear. In my car, I'm at 3000 even at 90mph indicated on the speedo.

Plaz
10-20-2005, 08:37 AM
So, Plaz, after having the new diff in the car for over a month what are your impressions now? Still like it? How is it on the highway when your not, er, playing around? Do you feel the RPMs are too high just cruizing? And did you get the software tweak to bump your RPM red line up higher to compensate?

I find I've completely reacclimated to the new shifting points, so that doesn't make it feel like a less powerful car anymore... but the instantaneous responsiveness of the closer ratio is still very noticable and pleasing.

The revs are just a little high on the highway for a luxo-cruiser, but that doesn't bother me at all. I used to occasionally find myself cruising in 4th, having neglected to upshift, and that doesn't happen any more, though. As 'matt says, the 6th gear would be nice for that... but I'm not cursing about it or anything.

I used to have my engine "sharked" (with the Jim Conforti shark injector software), which gave an extra 500 rpm on the red line... but I took it off after several months, as I found the car pinging quite a bit in high-torque low rev situations, and I didn't want to do damage.

It was nice to have the top speed limiter removed for high-speed desert runs when I was out west (got up in the 155mph territory in Death Valley), but there's absolutely no need for having that limiter removed back here on the east coast, where you get a ticket if you just daydream about driving 100.

I give the diff swap two thumbs up. :thumbup: :thumbup:

clyde
10-20-2005, 08:40 AM
high-torque low rev situations

:?

Plaz
10-20-2005, 09:03 AM
:?

Right. To clarify, low-rev situations where much more torque was being requested of the engine. Not low enough revs that the engine was lugging, though.

For example, cruising along in 3rd at 2500-2750 rpm or so, and powering up a hill without downshifting, would cause the soup can full of marbles effect. That pinging went away as soon as I removed the conforti s/w.

rumatt
10-20-2005, 09:09 AM
That was with 91 right? Now that you live in a real state that allows you to buy real gas, you may be OK?

bren
10-20-2005, 09:16 AM
That was with 91 right? Now that you live in a real state that allows you to buy real gas, you may be OK?
I was thinking the same thing.

Plaz
10-20-2005, 09:30 AM

No, I was thinking the same thing too... a year ago. Still had the same issue with Sunoco 94. In fact, I still had the issue with 100 Octane out in CA, though it was greatly reduced.

I just think Conforti's software for the M54B30 didn't get tested quite widely enough. There are plenty of similar complaints from others across the regular forums, and Jim's stubborn refusal to accept the reality of the situation, IIRC.

FC
10-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Seems like a very nice mod. Particularly in a ZHP that already has a higher 300rpm redline. At 36K miles, I'll just wait until it goes out of warranty.

I much rather have a car that FEELS fast and is more responsive and fun to drive than a car that just goes fast.

I remember how much "fun" it was to beat the snot out of my old 190D 2.2. No matter how hard I drove it, I was always going slow. Of course that is just nostalgic thinking. I drove it after having my 190E 2.6 for a few months and I felt like I could run faster. :rolleyes: :D Naturally, The 190E 2.6 felt like a dog compared to the 330i.

Plaz
10-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Seems like a very nice mod. Particularly in a ZHP that already has a higher 300rpm redline. At 36K miles, I'll just wait until it goes out of warranty.

I much rather have a car that FEELS fast and is more responsive and fun to drive than a car that just goes fast.

I remember how much "fun" it was to beat the snot out of my old 190D 2.2. No matter how hard I drove it, I was always going slow. Of course that is just nostalgic thinking. I drove it after having my 190E 2.6 for a few months and I felt like I could run faster. :rolleyes: :D Naturally, The 190E 2.6 felt like a dog compared to the 330i.

Doesn't the ZHP already have a shorter diff? For some reason I have in my mind that it has a 3.15:1, vs. the 2.93:1 in the regular version. :scratch:

rumatt
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Doesn't the ZHP already have a shorter diff? For some reason I have in my mind that it has a 3.15:1, vs. the 2.93:1 in the regular version. :scratch:

FC
10-20-2005, 04:27 PM

Yup. Granted, I really have no frame of reference since I have spent too little time too long ago on a vanilla 330i to compare the two, but my car could use shorter gearing. I have no interest on 64mph on 2nd and nearly 100mph on third.

My saabaru does mid 50's in 2nd and it's perfectly fine with me. Shifting and keeping the engine on boil is fun, especially considering our ludicrous speed limits and insurance premiums for speeding.

rumatt
10-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Yup. Granted, I really have no frame of reference since I have spent too little time too long ago on a vanilla 330i to compare the two, but my car could use shorter gearing. I have no interest on 64mph on 2nd and nearly 100mph on third.

My saabaru does mid 50's in 2nd and it's perfectly fine with me. Shifting and keeping the engine on boil is fun, especially considering our ludicrous speed limits and insurance premiums for speeding.

Ditto.

But I gotta admit, every once in a long while it's kinda cool the way it is. Like on the way to topeka... setting the cruise control and travelling at "brisk" :speechle: speeds while having the engine still be in its comfort zone.

FC
10-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Ditto.

But I gotta admit, every once in a long while it's kinda cool the way it is. Like on the way to topeka... setting the cruise control and travelling at "brisk" :speechle: speeds while having the engine still be in its comfort zone.

Driving my car in das Vaterland definitely explains the gearing. 100-120mph on 6th is relaxed and comfortable cruising. 'Round here though, it is basically useless. I only use 6th gear on the way to Montreal since I go dozens of miles at a time at 75+ mph. Otherwise it's just 5th on local highways. And on my daily commute, I spend 95% of my time on 3rd or lower.