PDA

View Full Version : Going faster...

Roadstergal
04-30-2005, 10:56 PM
MUCH faster.

I was just hoping to learn a little about riding today. I wasn't expecting to scrape pegs or hang off the seat on my first outing. Certainly not when it was raining steadily in the morning.

Well, I'm often wrong.

Yep, it was wet. It had been raining all night long, so there was plenty of standing water on the track; it was raining lightly, just a little more than a drizzle, so it wasn't drying up. But NESBA said the day would go ahead, so I pulled the lights and taped up those and the signals. We had a meeting for the beginners while the advanced group went out - and during that, a Duc lowsided not too far from us. Little cautionary note. So I went out just hoping not to drop the dang thing. I didn't, and certainly pushed my comfort level exceedingly in the wet. It was certainly humbling to take a corner faster than I ever have before - and then have one of the control riders go past me like I'm standing still.
Oh, the control riders. I have to say, this was one of the best-run track events of any kind I've attended. Groups of 4 or 5 (in the beginner group) would be taken out by an experienced rider in an orange shirt. That rider would watch us, give up simple instructions via hand signals, and give us more extensive feedback later. They would pull a slower rider to the side to let faster ones go by on the straight. Good stuff.
The second session, it had stopped raining. The track was beginning to dry out. I was beginning to push it. And I was abysmally slow in corners. WTF?! The control rider (Rachel) pulled me over at the end of the session and asked me if I used to race cars. Well, I used to track them here... Ja, that explains it, she says. I'm riding the car line, and the car line is really slow on a bike. Next time, follow me!
Next time, I followed her. Much better. She gave me instruction afterward in how to properly lean - get the butt out of the seat, one knee out, feet here and look there.
Next session smoked. Absolutely rockin'. The new line fell into place with the leaning and the looking through. My only oopsie was scraping a peg in 3b - afterwards, Rachel chided me, "Get yer butt out of the seat!"
The next session, I worked more on leaning and looking. Good stuff. But I was getting sore and tired, and with a long ride home awaiting, I bagged the rest of the sessions. Well worth the $180 for what I had gotten already!
Next time, I need to work on that bus stop that they put in just before Turn 9. I kept blowing that one.

Man. I thought car tracking was fun. It's nothing compared to this. Bike tracking is so much more physically and mentally intense; you have no space in your mind to think about anything other than what you're doing. Utterly focused. I won't say it's better than sex, but a day of it for $160 (if you register early) guaranteed - it's a close runner-up.

And on the subject of bikes - it blows me away how competent they are. With the exception of the vertically-challenged adaptations (longer dogbones, slid-down forks, cut seat), my SV is bone-stock. I was not kind to it today, and it performed like a trooper. Incredible. I don't know what I was hitting on the front straight - I was a little preoccupied - but I was regularly getting over 100 on the back straight (if you've never been to 2.3mile PR, the back straight ain't shit).
And the "horrible" track mileage was just under 50mpg.

Roadstergal
04-30-2005, 11:00 PM
People who are better than I am.

ride365
05-01-2005, 12:33 AM
that sounds great. seems like you made some real progress. as i'm sure you know, experience is everything. so just imagine how you'll be doing after a few more of those. i don't tell this to car geeks very often because i don't want to ruin the fantastic image they have of tracking their cars and feeling exhilarated, but driving a car at speed doesn't even come close to the sensation of riding a bike at speed. as complex as you think driving fast is, riding is at least 3 times as complex IMO.

- you've got all the physics and dynamics that you deal with in a car... now add the factor of shifting your body weight. instead of relying on a race bucket and harness to lock you into place and overcome the g-forces the car is subjecting you to, you are completely engaged from head to toe in a dance with your bike.

- everything you know about suspension setup and behavior becomes totally dynamic when you include the rider.

- also consider that you have 2 less contact patches. that's a huge difference not only in reduction in traction, but also because loss of said traction is much more challenging than just countersteering or 2-feet-in.

and that doesn't even include the added danger of actually making body contact with the pavement in an accident. props to you for attacking this with the same passion you have for cars.

Optimus Prime
05-01-2005, 02:11 PM
:thumbup:

I'd love to do a track day on a bike. I just don't have any tracks near me. :cry:

Maybe when i move to the West Coast I'll be able to find some.

Roadstergal
05-01-2005, 03:35 PM
as i'm sure you know, experience is everything. so just imagine how you'll be doing after a few more of those.

Ja, we'll see; I certainly plan on it! The idea of an "involving driving experience" just falls by the wayside after that. :)

Going down the straight, a lot of the students seemed to see 100 as a magic number, and would pull back - heck, if you crash at 100, you're toast, so why not top it off? With the speed that the control riders were taking through the corners, it was insane to have them blow by when I was cranked WO - some of them had to have been going 150, easy. Many of them were on Duc 750 Monsters and Gixxers and assorted other dang fast bikes - although my instructor was on an SV650 non-S, and another guy was on a 650 V-Strom, and those were very impressive to watch. Similar to seeing an instructor at a car school taking a Neon around faster than the students in Ferraris.

Roadstergal
05-01-2005, 03:56 PM
A guy in our club took a really good pic...

ride365
05-01-2005, 07:54 PM
A guy in our club took a really good pic...

wow, great shot.

nate
05-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Congrats on not getting yourself killed.

Roadstergal
05-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Congrats on not getting yourself killed.

I expect one of those every evening. :lol: The ride home is more potentially fatal than the ride at the track... same as cars, IMO.

ARCHER
05-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Chipping away at the chicken strips, for sure! That's pretty cool, and I hate to say, "especially for a girl," because I know there are lots of them out there putting it to the male riders. But it is still very cool to see females kicking ass on bikes.

Glad you're enjoying it. Be careful out there.

Jason C
05-07-2005, 03:05 PM
I won't say it's better than sex

Heresy! :mad: