PDA

View Full Version : More E90 Pics and 1st drive *Lots of pics*

killerdeck
04-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Well, I got to drive the E90 330i 6-speed SP yesterday. I figured you guys might be interested in what I have to say since I have a 330i ZHP.

Here it goes:

Well, first let me say that this is a refined version of the E46 for sure. The clutch is a little sensitive coming from a ZHP, and while the shifter is taller than Im used to, it was buttery smoothe. The car is much more stable than any E46 Ive driven around corners before. Even though the car was outfitted with 18" Bridgestone RE-050s the ride was not at all choppy over bumps. Of course, some may argue that feeling less of the road is not as good. I personally like the more agressive suspension on the ZHP to this car. Acceleration is quick and the engine sounds great after the 4000 RPM mark. Sounds more like a muffled V-8 than an inline-6. Didnt push it very hard but managed to jet onto the freeway and get up to about 80-85 MPH. Its scary how quiet the engine is at 80! I could hear the road far more than the engine.

Now for the interior and exterior. I dont like the looks of the back of the car at all. The front and front-3/4 angle views are pleasing but dont do much for me. The 18" rims seem too small for the car relative to what the 17" looked like on the E46. :shock: The fit and finish of the seats is very good and a lot of added padding has been added to the back/butt support area. All of the controls are intuitive and thank goodness no IDRIVE to screw around with. Forgot totally to test the radio! :oops: The back seats are much better than the E46, but are a bit different in orientation. I can sit behind the drivers seat with my setting and Im 6'2", but the head room is significantly less than the E46. In addition, the foot entry area is smaller and makes it hard for us big foot guys (12 4E here) to get in/out without being extra careful. Finally, the engine compartment is huge. I can see how they designed it to fit the V8 of the future M3! :) It is also nice that they finally have done away with an all black covering for the engine. I like the silver black cover.

Well thats all she wrote folks!

All of the pics:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=682

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=681

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=680

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=679

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=678

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=677

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=676

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=675

lemming
04-30-2005, 10:13 AM
sounds promising......for 95% of the driving population out there.

thanks for the insight. i will have to drive one myself but as BMWs get more refined, they also gain more weight (3400 pounds just about), more complexity and less road feel. it's worrisome to me.

why, for example, wouldn't someone like me go out and buy a G35 6speed (298hp) with a mechanical LSD and more room for $33k?

the critical question is: is the new 330 with more power enough to make you want to swap out of your ZHP for it?

killerdeck
05-01-2005, 09:13 PM
the critical question is: is the new 330 with more power enough to make you want to swap out of your ZHP for it?

Definately not. In fact, I would consider my ZHP to be my last new BMW with anything that the company has on the market or looks to bring to the market in the near future. The power was nice in the new 330i but did not compensate for the better gearbox, roadfeel, and rawness that my ZHP has.

rumatt
05-01-2005, 09:21 PM
> better gearbox

Why is the E46 gearbox better? Just the shorter throw?

> rawness that my ZHP has

You know you're in trouble when the E46 is a benchmark of rawness. :shock:

ride365
05-01-2005, 09:36 PM

Definately not. In fact, I would consider my ZHP to be my last new BMW with anything that the company has on the market or looks to bring to the market in the near future. The power was nice in the new 330i but did not compensate for the better gearbox, roadfeel, and rawness that my ZHP has.

... until the E90 ZHP.

it's not that i don't believe you -- i'm sure you really do feel that strongly. but it does sound a bit amusing considering the ZHP is the most recent "model" of the 3 before the E90, and you've already sworn off all future models.

i dunno... maybe it only sounds funny to me.

ride365
05-01-2005, 09:39 PM
You know you're in trouble when the E46 is a benchmark of rawness.

that is precisely the sentiment i feebly tried to convey.

lemming
05-01-2005, 11:58 PM
well......by the looks of the new e90 330i, at least no one can genuinely make fun of the other vehicles such as the new a4 or the g35 look anymore.

when i look at the front, it's baby e60 (which i don't like) and when i look at the sides, it looks too similar (from photos) to the X-type Jaguar which is like Wal-Mart Jaguar to me, so on a superficial level, i already don't like it.

the wheels are disinterestingly neo-BMW. the interior looks okay. the E46 was already a quantum leap over the e36 interior, though.

i read in Roundel this month (where they test drive the 530xi and 530xiT in Finland) that BMW NA will be making the 330xiT available in the US finally. that's really cool.

ayn
05-02-2005, 12:54 AM
I guess I'll go test drive it some time, since I live so close to the dealership here... I really have no interest in the E90 3er whatsoever, maybe the E90M3 later, but most likely not...

That steering wheel is pretty damn ugly...

--Andrew

ayn
05-02-2005, 12:57 AM
> better gearbox

:lol:

The E46 gearbox really isn't any good, if the E90 is worse than the car is worthless... heh...

ff
05-02-2005, 01:01 PM
RE-050's, huh? That's a nice step up from the Conti's. Hopefully that (or an equivalent, or better) will be the standard SP tire for the 330, going forward.

The HACK
05-02-2005, 01:25 PM
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=677

Anyone else notice the cooling fins on the calipers?

The HACK
05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
RE-050's, huh? That's a nice step up from the Conti's. Hopefully that (or an equivalent, or better) will be the standard SP tire for the 330, going forward.

RE050 run flats are what I have on the Z4. They're grippy, excellent turn-in but breaks away without warning...Typical of run-flats. Car rides really rough with the run-flats compared to the S-03s, and the S-03s are notoriously rough.

killerdeck
05-02-2005, 03:04 PM
> better gearbox

I was making this comment in light of the E46 vs E90. Thats all, no other comparisons.

killerdeck
05-02-2005, 03:06 PM

... until the E90 ZHP.

it's not that i don't believe you -- i'm sure you really do feel that strongly. but it does sound a bit amusing considering the ZHP is the most recent "model" of the 3 before the E90, and you've already sworn off all future models.

i dunno... maybe it only sounds funny to me.

No it has to do with a lot of different reasons a lot of them having nothing to do with what may or may not come out in the future. (ie service among other things)

killerdeck
05-02-2005, 03:09 PM
> better gearbox

The E46 gearbox really isn't any good, if the E90 is worse than the car is worthless... heh...

Have you had a chance to drive the ZHP w/ manual? I would agree that almost all other iterations of the manual gearboxes in the E46 and E90 for that matter stink.

TD
05-02-2005, 03:12 PM
> better gearbox

Have you had a chance to drive the ZHP w/ manual? I would agree that almost all other iterations of the manual gearboxes in the E46 and E90 for that matter stink.

Scroll down to my first long post of the thread... http://forums.carmudgeons.com/viewtopic.php?t=4072

(Sorry JST.)

ZBB
05-02-2005, 03:25 PM
I had dinner with my parents last night... In a first, they had seen the new 3 before me. My mom has an '02 325CiC now and I guess they are starting to think about replacing it. She liked the new 3.

I'll need to stop by and take a look now.

killerdeck
05-02-2005, 04:02 PM
> better gearbox

Scroll down to my first long post of the thread... http://forums.carmudgeons.com/viewtopic.php?t=4072

(Sorry JST.)

Im well aware of your take TD, I was asking ayn. :mad:

ayn
05-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Never driven a ZHP really, I'm sure it's very special, but it'd have to be be leaps and bounds better than my 330Ci for it to be as good as you think it is... I've known TD long enough to trust his opinions on it though, if he thinks it sucks, it most likely does! Maybe I'll test drive yours at our next lil Austin lunch meet. :D

--Andrew

TD
05-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Never driven a ZHP really, I'm sure it's very special, but it'd have to be be leaps and bounds better than my 330Ci for it to be as good as you think it is... I've known TD long enough to trust his opinions on it though, if he thinks it sucks, it most likely does! Maybe I'll test drive yours at our next lil Austin lunch meet. :D

--Andrew

To be fair, re-read my post that I linked. I never said the car sucks. In fact, I had a number of nice things to say about it. I just thought the clutch was among the worst I have ever driven. Period.

The car has a lot going for it. It's firm but still comfortable. Quick. Handsome and still sporty.

But visceral? No. And possessing a praiseworthy clutch/shifter feel? Absolutely not.

ayn
05-02-2005, 06:23 PM
I meant the tranny and clutch, not the car...

killerdeck
05-02-2005, 07:37 PM

--Andrew

Sounds like fair game. Personally, I regard the ZHP transmission to be one of the best BMW has produced in the last 10 years. I have driven 1995-2006 manuals in 323, 328, 325, 330, M3, 525, 530, 540, Z3, M Coupe, M roadster, Z4 2.5, Z4 3.0, and X3 3.0.

lemming
05-02-2005, 07:49 PM

--Andrew

Sounds like fair game. Personally, I regard the ZHP transmission to be one of the best BMW has produced in the last 10 years. I have driven 1995-2006 manuals in 323, 328, 325, 330, M3, 525, 530, 540, Z3, M Coupe, M roadster, Z4 2.5, Z4 3.0, and X3 3.0.

nah.

i have to disagree there. i've driven the ZHP manual and i wouldn't call it superior to the short shift throw plus firmness of the M coupe. could be the same mechanism with more "fluidity" because it's an e46, but the M coupe will stand to me as the finest gearbox in recent memory. hated the long throws of the e36m3 and the e46m3 throws are quite long, also. the throws of the standard e46s are okay but precise.

IMO, BMWs and Porsche do not build transmissions with great feel --they are precise (if notchy) units but they still pale in comparison to the rx8, for example, and the miata or s2000. each one of the aforementioned cars should be the paradigm to emulate but once again, the 3 series is an entry level luxury car so a lot of that "feel" is sacrificed for the sake of a well oiled mechanism with a really wobbly & vague clutch take-up.

FC
05-02-2005, 09:35 PM

--Andrew

nah.

i have to disagree there. i've driven the ZHP manual and i wouldn't call it superior to the short shift throw plus firmness of the M coupe. could be the same mechanism with more "fluidity" because it's an e46, but the M coupe will stand to me as the finest gearbox in recent memory. hated the long throws of the e36m3 and the e46m3 throws are quite long, also. the throws of the standard e46s are okay but precise.

IMO, BMWs and Porsche do not build transmissions with great feel --they are precise (if notchy) units but they still pale in comparison to the rx8, for example, and the miata or s2000. each one of the aforementioned cars should be the paradigm to emulate but once again, the 3 series is an entry level luxury car so a lot of that "feel" is sacrificed for the sake of a well oiled mechanism with a really wobbly & vague clutch take-up.

Out of the 987 Boxster, the Mazdaspoeed Miata, and the ZHP, I'd have to say that the ZHP's shifter is the best. It is notchy and noisy, but it is short and precise. I can see how it could be made better, but I like it. Now the clutch... that is a pain in the ass.

I keep thinking the car really needs a lighter flywheel. I keep having to deliberately wait for the revs to drop in all lower gears, and for a 1-2 shift, it's an awfully long wait to get the revs low enough to have a smooth shift. After two years, I still find myself depressing the clutch far deeper than I ought to when coming to a quick stop and shifting out of first.

lemming
05-02-2005, 10:12 PM
mbr: have you driven an M roadter or M coupe? it's notchier but more direct feeling. likely the same motion as the ZHP package.

my favorite shifter is still the miata. s2000 is a close second. M coupe third.

the one thing that is not readily fixable is the clutch on the E46s and likely the e90s. moving to the dual mass flywheel really sucks. if i kept a 3 series long enough to make it worthwhile (as in never again), i'd swap out the lousy dual mass flywheel for a lightweight single mass unit as that improves the feel noticeably --i did this both on the e36m3 and the M coupe and it made a world of difference in terms of clutch engagement as well as feel.

i fully expect the e90 to have a heavy and spongy dual mass flywheel with a spongy clutch feel.

the interior of the car looks okay in a lexus sort of way. nicer wood. less driver-oriented (seems to have gone out the door after the e36).

my question at the end of the day is: is the e90 has gotten larger and heavier and only marginally faster with even more derivative styling, what's to keep us from driving the next gen IS350 or the g35? or the c350 6speed?

killerdeck
05-02-2005, 10:44 PM
[quote="killerdeck

nah.

That is why I said what I said. I agree, the M Coupe has the best IMHO too.

killerdeck
05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
[quote="killerdeck

nah.

That is why I said what I said. I agree, the M Coupe has the best IMHO too. But if I ranked all of those shifters, the ZHP would be in the top 3 and the best for current production models.

lemming
05-02-2005, 10:56 PM
[quote="killerdeck

nah.

That is why I said what I said. I agree, the M Coupe has the best IMHO too. But if I ranked all of those shifters, the ZHP would be in the top 3 and the best for current production models.

i'm too lazy to look it up, but it is my suspicion that BMW used/uses the same OEM vendor as for the M coupe/roadster as for the z4's (which have a nice shifter, actually) and the ZHP package. it would be too obtuse to have a completely separate OEM mechanism if it's already proven to be acceptable for the rigors of the M division.

ayn
05-03-2005, 12:14 AM
I think the best BMW tranny is actually the 318ti.

FC
05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
mbr: have you driven an M roadter or M coupe? it's notchier but more direct feeling. likely the same motion as the ZHP package.

my favorite shifter is still the miata. s2000 is a close second. M coupe third.

the one thing that is not readily fixable is the clutch on the E46s and likely the e90s. moving to the dual mass flywheel really sucks. if i kept a 3 series long enough to make it worthwhile (as in never again), i'd swap out the lousy dual mass flywheel for a lightweight single mass unit as that improves the feel noticeably --i did this both on the e36m3 and the M coupe and it made a world of difference in terms of clutch engagement as well as feel.

I don't remmeber the miata being bad, meaning it must have been good, but not eneough to make me remember how good it was.

Depending on how quickly my clutch needs replacing, I will put in a lightweight flywheel.

my question at the end of the day is: is the e90 has gotten larger and heavier and only marginally faster with even more derivative styling, what's to keep us from driving the next gen IS350 or the g35? or the c350 6speed?

That is exactly it. And to me the answer is "nothing." Nothing is keeping customers from going to the other options anymore. Some may argue that was the case with the E46. Well, with the E90 all debate should be over.

rumatt
05-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Doe the car really have a 7K redline?

Jason C
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Doe the car really have a 7K redline?

E90 330i? Most definitely yes.

lemming
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
interesting.

because I thought the whole raison d'etre of keeping the individual throttle bodies and forsaking valvetronic on the new M motors is because valvetronic doesn't like to rev high and its response is too "slow" for the M division.

7k rpms is lofty for a straight six (that is a non M vehicle).

let me be the first one on record as saying that BMW is far too conservative and is going to need to bump up displacement, euro taxes or not on displacement, because its cars seem to get heavier no matter how much aluminum they put into them.

pretty sure the quoted figure for curb weight for the e90 330i is about 3380 or 3390 --i think bumping up (you know, like mercedes & audi just did) to 3.2 or 3.4 litres wouldn't be a bad idea. the motor is still pretty soft in the torque department.

FC
05-03-2005, 06:42 PM
interesting.

because I thought the whole raison d'etre of keeping the individual throttle bodies and forsaking valvetronic on the new M motors is because valvetronic doesn't like to rev high and its response is too "slow" for the M division.

7k rpms is lofty for a straight six (that is a non M vehicle).

let me be the first one on record as saying that BMW is far too conservative and is going to need to bump up displacement, euro taxes or not on displacement, because its cars seem to get heavier no matter how much aluminum they put into them.

pretty sure the quoted figure for curb weight for the e90 330i is about 3380 or 3390 --i think bumping up (you know, like mercedes & audi just did) to 3.2 or 3.4 litres wouldn't be a bad idea. the motor is still pretty soft in the torque department.

That's 100lbs more than an E46 330i (3280lbs).

Also, the ZHP revs to 6800, only 200rpm shy of the E90. Don't all E46 330i's rev to 7K with shark injector?

lemming
05-03-2005, 09:09 PM
e90 330 CURB WEIGHT as reported by Car & Driver is 3450 pounds (or equal to the e46m3).

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9265&page_numb er=3

read for yourself.

i am unthrilled by this.

Jason C
05-03-2005, 10:07 PM
e90 330 CURB WEIGHT as reported by Car & Driver is 3450 pounds (or equal to the e46m3).

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9265&page_numb er=3

read for yourself.

i am unthrilled by this.

:dunno: IIRC, the A4 quattro V6 gained 375 pounds when going from B5 to B6. How much did the 3-series go up? I remember it was cited as something like 75-100 pounds.

lemming
05-04-2005, 05:48 AM

read for yourself.

i am unthrilled by this.

:dunno: IIRC, the A4 quattro V6 gained 375 pounds when going from B5 to B6. How much did the 3-series go up? I remember it was cited as something like 75-100 pounds.

for whatever reason, the a4 has always been portly, but in particular, the quattro --> but this obviously also reflects the weight of the AWD mechanicals, also.

rumatt
05-04-2005, 09:06 AM
I just thought the clutch was among the worst I have ever driven. Period.

Revisiting this topic yet again, yesterday I drove the 330 for the first time in about 2 weeks, and I was unable to get the clutch right the whole freaking day.

So to some degree TD, I agree with you. But when you drive the car daily, most of the problem disappears because you eventually get used to the clutch and manage to get the shifts right (or mostly right).

So is it a weak point on the car? Definitely. But it's one of those problems that is minimized the more you drive the car, as opposed to the other way around.

JST
05-04-2005, 09:13 AM

Revisiting this topic yet again, yesterday I drove the 330 for the first time in about 2 weeks, and I was unable to get the clutch right the whole freaking day.

So to some degree TD, I agree with you. But when you drive the car daily, most of the problem disappears because you eventually get used to the clutch and manage to get the shifts right (or mostly right).

So is it a weak point on the car? Definitely. But it's one of those problems that is minimized the more you drive the car, as opposed to the other way around.

Yeah, that's true. Going from the 330 to the WRX requires a bit of time to adjust--the 330 clutch throw is loooooong, whereas the WRX's clutch is pretty short.

I found and put in a UUC clutch stop last night. It probably makes the transition easier, going from this car to another car or vice versa, but I'm still not sure I like the overall effect. I'm going to live with it a few days and see.

FC
05-04-2005, 09:22 AM

Yeah, that's true. Going from the 330 to the WRX requires a bit of time to adjust--the 330 clutch throw is loooooong, whereas the WRX's clutch is pretty short.

I found and put in a UUC clutch stop last night. It probably makes the transition easier, going from this car to another car or vice versa, but I'm still not sure I like the overall effect. I'm going to live with it a few days and see.

It took me a LONG time to get used to it, but it really is amazing how little you need to press the clutch for it to do what it needs to do. I made my own clutch stop, JUST shy of not letting me turn on the car, and there is still what seems like at least double the necessary travel.

How do you like the alcantara wheel? I'm debating on whether to get mine replaced with a new one, or try for a leather one instead.

rumatt
05-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Crap, the alcantara wheels wear out that fast? If so, JST you should swap yours with a leather M3 wheel while while you can still get an even trade, or even make money.

My M3 wheel still looks like new after 1.5 years.

FC
05-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Crap, the alcantara wheels wear out that fast? If so, JST you should swap yours with a leather M3 wheel while while you can still get an even trade, or even make money.

My M3 wheel still looks like new after 1.5 years.

Well, yes, they do wear out, but mine is at 31K miles. Though I could have easily argued to get it replaced at 20K or so.

rumatt
05-04-2005, 09:34 AM
They'll replace it under warranty?

Or is it the maintenance plan, because it's considered a wear item? :lol:

FC
05-04-2005, 09:35 AM
They'll replace it under warranty?

Or is it the maintenance plan, because it's considered a wear item? :lol:

I am sure they will. Lots of people have had theirs replaced at 10K miles. Mine is in rough shape vs a new wheel.

ayn
05-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Just stop grabbing your steering wheels so tight! :D

ride365
05-04-2005, 01:13 PM

i thought the clutch was supposed to adapt to you, not the other way around. if you regularly drive multiple vehicles you come to realize that the e46 clutch/throttle isn't just different, it's wrong.