PDA

View Full Version : A3's are out

Jason C
04-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Apparently some audi forum-ers have already taken delivery. You can build-your-own at audiusa.com.

It's an interesting choice in the sub-$30K class. You get FWD only, but there's that 1-2 technology punch of turbo FSI and optional DSG. I may have to check it out one of these days.

(Such a small car, but it does weigh over 3200 lbs - there's that Audi fat pig syndrome again)

JST
04-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Apparently some audi forum-ers have already taken delivery. You can build-your-own at audiusa.com.

It's an interesting choice in the sub-$30K class. You get FWD only, but there's that 1-2 technology punch of turbo FSI and optional DSG. I may have to check it out one of these days.

(Such a small car, but it does weigh over 3200 lbs - there's that Audi fat pig syndrome again)

They're nice, but for the price? I don't know how I could buy one over a Legacy.

I'm waiting for the GTI, hopeful.

blee
04-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Speaking of Auto Union cars, about two weeks ago I caught something in the corner of my eye on the toll road. I ran up to get a closer look; it was a red next-generation Golf! IIRC, it was running diplomat tags.

Are these things officially for sale over here yet?

lemming
04-29-2005, 08:44 AM
i saw a red new a4 with the 2.0 litre engine on the street. i liked it much better than the current a4. very taut. almost looks smaller because the styling lines are tighter.

JST
04-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Speaking of Auto Union cars, about two weeks ago I caught something in the corner of my eye on the toll road. I ran up to get a closer look; it was a red next-generation Golf! IIRC, it was running diplomat tags.

Not yet--probably this fall.

Jason C
04-29-2005, 09:51 AM

I haven't been following up on it that closely.

Will the GTI come with an (optional, maybe) LSD? I didn't see one listed for the A3.

jpgurl
04-29-2005, 09:53 AM
You get FWD only, but there's that 1-2 technology punch of turbo FSI and optional DSG. I may have to check it out one of these days.

none of the A3's will have AWD? I was holding out for an AWD 3-door 3.2.

Jason C
04-29-2005, 10:02 AM
You get FWD only, but there's that 1-2 technology punch of turbo FSI and optional DSG. I may have to check it out one of these days.

none of the A3's will have AWD? I was holding out for an AWD 3-door 3.2.

As of now, no. There is a lot of speculation that Audi will eventually bring over a bigger engine paired up with quattro. It'll probably happen.

(Anyone want to shell out the cash for one of those? That combo will not come cheap.)

SCA
04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
I have seen the dealer demo. Not bad! I still wouldn't pay what they're asking, plus it would have to have quattro.

If I was going to purchase an Audi product I would just ahead and purchase an A4. The A3 can get absurd with options!

A3 6-speed manual FrontTrakŪ
Base MSRP:
$24,740
Price as configured:
$31,235

Packages:
Sport package (Includes the following options in addition to all items listed in the A3)
$1,800

Sound package
$900

Individual options:
Destination Charge
$720

Open sky system
$1,100

XMŪ Satellite Radio
$350

Xenon headlights
$500

Customer Order options:
Convenience package
$675

dan
04-29-2005, 10:33 AM
none of the A3's will have AWD? I was holding out for an AWD 3-door 3.2.you're a sucker for all things audi! :flame:

jpgurl
04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
you're a sucker for all things audi! :flame:

I am a sucker I know (what can I say, I like 'em) -- but we test drove a used TT last night and have decided against a TT. So at least I am narrowing the choices down! That's progress!

JST
04-29-2005, 11:01 AM

I haven't been following up on it that closely.

Will the GTI come with an (optional, maybe) LSD? I didn't see one listed for the A3.

Chances are between 0 and 0 that this will happen; the real question on the Golf front is: a) will the electronic traction control be fully defeatable (I think the answer may be no), and b) will you be able to ever get an R32 with something other than DSG (again, I think the answer might be no).

The other question is whether VW will bring over the GTI five door, or make the turbo engine available in the 5 door Golf. Again, I think the answers are no and no.

I think that the A3 3.2 quattro is a certainty, but doubt that we will see a three door and doubt that the 3.2 will be available with a stick.

lemming
04-29-2005, 07:34 PM
i really like the new a4. i saw that red one again.

what a looker that thing is!