PDA

View Full Version : E90 Demos are showing...

SCA
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
up @ dealers. I'm ready for a Test Drive!

TD
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I am really glad that none of the new BMWs holds any appeal to me. My wallet is even happier.

If you didn't like the E46 (and, as I recall, you did not), I think you'd hate the E90.

SCA
04-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I am really glad that none of the new BMWs holds any appeal to me. My wallet is even happier.

If you didn't like the E46 (and, as I recall, you did not), I think you'd hate the E90.

I never drove my E46 (18k in 4 years). The main reason I disliked it was the '01 Buick steering, even after the retrofit (twice) it was never right. Plus my car had the 3.0 stall problem right out the box after a few SW updates the DBW which was acceptable prior, was unacceptable afterwards. When I had driven the E34 (M50) for weeks I really appreciated the power of the 330.

TD
04-26-2005, 03:52 PM

I never drove my E46 (18k in 4 years). My reason I disliked it. 2001 Buick steering, even after the retrofit (twice) it was never right. When I had driven the E34 (M50) for weeks I appreciated the power of the E46.

But the variable assist on the E90 makes the Buick-like steering seem positively HEAVY in comparison, from what I've read.

Rob
04-26-2005, 04:09 PM
He's talking about test driving and you are trying to talk him out of test driving b/c you don't like bmw's new look and you have read bad things about them? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Variable assist is an option.

Jason C
04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Variable assist is an option.

And a stand-alone option at that. Thankfully, 'cause it's expensive and of dubious value at best.

Plaz
04-26-2005, 04:20 PM
You guys mean "active steering," right? I thought basically ALL cars (save the Elise, maybe) have variable power assist these days.

dan
04-26-2005, 04:22 PM
BMWs have had variable assist for at least 10 years

Jason C
04-26-2005, 04:24 PM
You guys mean "active steering," right?

That wasn't what everyone was referring to in the first place? :outtaher:

:)

TD
04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
You guys mean "active steering," right? I thought basically ALL cars (save the Elise, maybe) have variable power assist these days.

D'oh!

Yes, I meant "active steering".

JST
04-26-2005, 04:42 PM

D'oh!

Yes, I meant "active steering".

I'm not willing to write the E90 off without driving it. Given that I just bought an E46 rather than waiting for an E90, though, I'm not going to rush out and see whether I made a mistake anytime soon.

lemming
04-26-2005, 08:02 PM
i'm not willing to write off the e90, either. but like most keanu reeves movies, i will go in with low expectations and usually because they're so low, i come out pleasantly surprised by the time it's done.

:)

SCA
04-26-2005, 10:37 PM
They're in....

Theo
04-27-2005, 12:48 AM
They're in....

They just don't look right unless they have the 18's. :?

dan
04-27-2005, 12:52 AM
ugh, it looks nasty in that first pic

Jason C
04-27-2005, 04:30 AM
Some FastTrack guy informed me that they've had a few E90's for over 3 months now, so today I go over and take a look through the windows...

I only saw one on the dealer training side. It looked nice enough. Ti silver/beige interior/18" sport package. They also had one of those MMY 7-series next to the original 2001 release, it looked so much nicer.

John V
04-27-2005, 07:23 AM
ugh, it looks nasty

Fixed your post.

I just got an invite from BMW Towson to "test fly" the E90. Still considering. I know I'm not going to buy one, so I probably won't waste their time.

I am happy that BMW is holding the weight on the new models and making active steering and iDrive options. :thumbup: I'm NOT happy that you can't delete the sunroof.

clyde
04-27-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm NOT happy that you can't delete the sunroof.

Like everything else in the world of new BMWs, having a salesman or GSM go to bat for you with BMWNA can accomplish some pretty amazing things. The question is whether that would be a Stock legal option...and one that I am investigating. :eeps:

BahnBaum
04-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm NOT happy that you can't delete the sunroof.

Like everything else in the world of new BMWs, having a salesman or GSM go to bat for you with BMWNA can accomplish some pretty amazing things. The question is whether that would be a Stock legal option...and one that I am investigating. :eeps:

Ruh-roh.

Alex

rumatt
04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
The question is whether that would be a Stock legal option...and one that I am investigating. :eeps:

:scratch: Something abouy that car makes you want to autox it?

clyde
04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
and one that I am investigating. :eeps:

Ruh-roh.

Just exploring possibilities...

BahnBaum
04-27-2005, 08:51 AM
and one that I am investigating. :eeps:

Ruh-roh.

Just exploring possibilities...

The mindless explorations of a man often result in the miracles of mankind.

Or something like that.

Alex

FC
04-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Ugh... Don't like it. :thumbdow:

The engine seems nicer than mine, but other than that, I don't see any other reason why I would ever get one over just keeping my E46 330i (otehr than it would be a new car with a full warranty, etc).

This is all hypothetical of course, since our new fleet model doesn't support us getting any form of sedan again.

rumatt
04-27-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't see any other reason why I would ever get one over just keeping my E46 330i (otehr than it would be a new car with a full warranty, etc).

How about the minor detail of how it drives?

bren
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
What were they thinking with the chrome strip from the kidney on the leading edge of the hood :speechle:

FC
04-27-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't see any other reason why I would ever get one over just keeping my E46 330i (other than it would be a new car with a full warranty, etc).

How about the minor detail of how it drives?

I am very skeptical about it feeling better than a ZHP-equipped E46. And if it does, and it somehow is less numb, less heavy, etc, I still find the interior and exterior styling to be too much of a penalty.

I conceeded the engine. Put my engine in an E90 330i and I just don't see how it would drive any better than my car.

But I will test drive one eventually, and there is the distant possibility I may eat my words as far as its handling and feel. But again, I just prefer the styling in and out on my car along with the Alcantara interior.

John V
04-27-2005, 09:24 AM
But I will test drive one eventually, and there is the distant possibility I may eat my words as far as its handling and feel. But again, I just prefer the styling in and out on my car along with the Alcantara interior.

Having driven an E46 330i ZHP, I was sort of left cold by the car. It was a good bit slower than my E36 M3, and had that numb feel that seems to plague all the E46 chassis cars (including the M3). The E46 interior blows away the E36's though. :thumbup:

That said, I may have to drive the E90 to see if BMW has fixed it - or if it's gotten worse. I can't afford the car and I don't like the interior / exterior styling but I at least want a point of reference.

clyde
04-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Well, the good thing is that we will most likely be seeing them at NCC events...and they will be driven by n00bs that will need some assistance/instruction. :eeps:

jpgurl
04-27-2005, 10:21 AM
I like the black one. Which is a switch from the E46, where I thought the black one didn't look so good. Doesn't matter anyway. Too big and too expensive. My next car will only have 2 doors, will be USED, and will be less than 25K.

But we'll still give it a test drive. :) For objective research of course. :eeps:

Melissa
04-27-2005, 10:40 AM
I just got an invite from BMW Towson to "test fly" the E90. Still considering. I know I'm not going to buy one, so I probably won't waste their time.

Don't be absurd, go waste their time. They love that sorta thing. I would if I could! :thumbup: :)
:kekeke:

Of the three, I also prefer the look of the black one. I would like it more with red interior.

SCA
04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
They're in....

They just don't look right unless they have the 18's. :?

You're right! :thumbup:

SCA
04-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Of the three, I also prefer the look of the black one. I would like it more with red interior.

There you go! Yummy! :drool: (red interior).

Theo
04-27-2005, 11:53 AM
TD, JST and Mbr,

Don't know how much you can trust this review, but look here.

Kind of interesting. You might have to drive it after all. ;)

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349854

ride365
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I like the black one. Which is a switch from the E46, where I thought the black one didn't look so good.

i'm sure this has been said before (maybe by me), but the problem with the e90 grill is that top chrome strip. on a dark car, the strip serves its purpose in maintaining some semblance of an overall kidney shape. however on a white or silver car, that top piece disappears. all you're left with is the negative-space, D-shaped semicircles... which are not kidney/BMW shaped IMO.

The HACK
04-27-2005, 12:51 PM
TD, JST and Mbr,

Frankly these reviews online are worthless. I've come to the conclusion that 99.95% of drivers out there don't know what performs better than one or the other. I remember reading all the Nissan reviews on the G35 and 350z and how everyone raves about both cars and were like "oh it'll handle just as well as a BMW." Yeah, it'll handle as well as a BMW up until you push it to ~6/10 or 7/10th. Go beyond that the difference is obvious.

I would trust the reviews from people who's had at least 2-3 track schools or autocrosses under them. Otherwise, the general public don't know d*ck when it comes to pushing the car to it's limits. And on the street it's hard to go beyond 7/10th (heck I can't even go past my 4/10th on the street right now without scaring the sh*t out of my passengers and the surrounding drivers).

I hope someone takes one of these guys to a real track soon and give their object opinion on this. Maybe I should sign up for the Motor Press Guild right now and see if they have one in their fleet.

SCA
04-27-2005, 11:22 PM
I went to TD the Silver, SP, 6sped 330i today. I was told it would be ready after 5pm. I showed up around 6pm and it had not been PDI'ed yet. They are only letting one specific tech PDI them and from my discussion with him he has had minor issues with each car. I am supposed to go back tomorrow for the TD.

lemming
04-28-2005, 08:24 AM
TD, JST and Mbr,

Frankly these reviews online are worthless. I've come to the conclusion that 99.95% of drivers out there don't know what performs better than one or the other. I remember reading all the Nissan reviews on the G35 and 350z and how everyone raves about both cars and were like "oh it'll handle just as well as a BMW." Yeah, it'll handle as well as a BMW up until you push it to ~6/10 or 7/10th. Go beyond that the difference is obvious.

I would trust the reviews from people who's had at least 2-3 track schools or autocrosses under them. Otherwise, the general public don't know d*ck when it comes to pushing the car to it's limits. And on the street it's hard to go beyond 7/10th (heck I can't even go past my 4/10th on the street right now without scaring the sh*t out of my passengers and the surrounding drivers).

I hope someone takes one of these guys to a real track soon and give their object opinion on this. Maybe I should sign up for the Motor Press Guild right now and see if they have one in their fleet.

agreed.

but generally peeps around here are pretty decent and have good backgrounds for car reviews --but it is an extremely self-selecting group of people.