PDA

View Full Version : The CBS F1 commentators

Roadstergal
04-24-2005, 01:38 PM
suck. :P

Plaz
04-24-2005, 02:31 PM
They're giving some good basic info for the NASCAR crowd, though... defining oversteer and understeer, explaining curbs, etc. :)

Roadstergal
04-24-2005, 02:34 PM
"When they wave a blue flag, it means move over..."

kognito
04-24-2005, 02:42 PM
cool finish

Mathew
04-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Is it a European guy?

Pinecone
04-24-2005, 05:41 PM
"When they wave a blue flag, it means move over..."

Actually that is right. When they hold the blue flag, it means someone is behind you. A waving blue flag does actually mean move over afor a faster car. Of course, at that level, nobody actually does this, especially if it is for position. :)

BTW did Trulli hold up a whole train today or not? :)

blee
04-24-2005, 07:06 PM
The worst part about CBS's coverage is that I'll probably never get to see a replay, unless Speed somehow has rights.

Roadstergal
04-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Actually that is right.

Yes, I know... and I would think the F1 viewers would, too...

BahnBaum
04-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Actually that is right.

Yes, I know... and I would think the F1 viewers would, too...

Maybe CBS was hoping that there were lots of new, non F1 viewers who could benefit from this kind of information.

Alex

Roadstergal
04-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Maybe CBS was hoping that there were lots of new, non F1 viewers who could benefit from this kind of information.

Alex

It's fine to give that information - but that's the best we got in the whole program. None of the hisotry and more technical stuff we get from the Speed bunch. No accurate fuel estimations. :P

And a lot of the commentary was "Gee whiz, those are fast and expensive!" If they simplify the commentary too much in an effort to win over the NASCAR bunch, they'll pull a Jon.

The HACK
04-25-2005, 01:05 PM
The worst part about CBS's coverage is that I'll probably never get to see a replay, unless Speed somehow has rights.

They do. I think the replay on Speed is suppose to be on again on the 29th.

I'd have to say one of the big reason the CBS broadcast sucks, is that the color guy (Derek Daly) is 100X better than the play-by-play announcer. You usually want the play-by-play guy to do the grunt of the talking, but DD was obviously so much more experienced in calling F1 he basically took over as the main announcer.

I thought Daly did an okay job given the handicap he had to work with. And they tried too hard to inject excitment in their announcing into an already VERY exciting race. I'm sorry, but this isn't NeckCar, we don't need the announcers to artificially excite us the viewers. We know when something exciting is happening on the track.

The whole time when Webbah was stuck behind Trulli the announcer kept saying it's an exciting race...There was no way in HELL Webbah would be able to pull a pass in that situation, he's not close enough on Trulli's bumper to do anything. The exciting race was happening behind him where Crashboi was trying to chase down Webbah.

Pinecone
04-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Actually I watched it in Brazil, and interestingly, they had a graphic on the screen after every pit stop of the liters of fuel and estimated laps.

Of course, I can't comment on the commentators, since I didn't understand a word they said. :)

But my favorite was watching one race a couple of years ago while in France. The French TV has a very attractive woman doing soem of the pre-race stuff. She was interveiwing Rubens, and due to a significant height difference, Rubens was NOT looking her in the eyes. But he did has a silly grin on his face the entire time, talking to her chest. :)