PDA

View Full Version : Cracked fog light.

FC
04-21-2005, 09:00 AM
The stone (I assume) that hit it, hit is smack in the middle. There is an almost pefectly symmetrical "star" on it.

Anyhow, I figured no big deal, just replace the lens, but I have to get the whole assembly. $106. :rolleyes: :banghead:

It all comes in bunches. Dent, busted foglight, speeding ticket. :banghead:

I just noticed today after I parked my car. Didn't even check to see if the foglight works. I'll go do that.

zach
04-21-2005, 09:22 AM
The stone (I assume) that hit it, hit is smack in the middle. There is an almost pefectly symmetrical "star" on it.

Anyhow, I figured no big deal, just replace the lens, but I have to get the whole assembly. $106. :rolleyes: :banghead:

It all comes in bunches. Dent, busted foglight, speeding ticket. :banghead:

I just noticed today after I parked my car. Didn't even check to see if the foglight works. I'll go do that.

I just replaced both foglights (the whole assemblies) a few weekends ago. $90 for TWO.

rumatt
04-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Ouch, that sucks.

Is the price difference E36 vs E46?

FC
04-21-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm going to shop around, but I don't think I'll do much better than $100 a piece. I only need one (driver's side).

I checked and at least the foglight works. Maybe the bulb will burn quickly after use, but so far it works.

Nick M3
04-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I've broken a 4th damned fog light. Fucking pieces of shit. :mad:

FC
04-21-2005, 10:14 AM

And what do you pay for them?

Any reason to believe the 3M stuff can really prevent cracked foglights?

Nick M3
04-21-2005, 10:16 AM

And what do you pay for them?

Yes. But I usually rip the mounting tabs off, and 3M won't do a thing for that.

I pay something in the $70-80 range.

Plaz
04-21-2005, 10:16 AM
I've had a cracked foglight lens for about two years. It finally stopped working sometime over the winter... last time I checked.

I never use the damn things, so I haven't worried about it at all.

FC
04-21-2005, 10:21 AM
I've had a cracked foglight lens for about two years. It finally stopped working sometime over the winter... last time I checked.

I never use the damn things, so I haven't worried about it at all.

Frankly, I rarely use them. I find the Xenons are so damn good, the foglights don't do much for me.

And when it is foggy, the fog lights don't help if the Xenons are on (due to the glare), so I basically only find them usable in thick fog, at night, on empty roads. In other words, almost never.

I do use them at night when I go slowly over badly broken pavement to avoid potholes, but again that doesn't happen often.

Nick, can I get the name of the place, or is this a "NickM3-special"?

Theo
04-21-2005, 11:10 AM

Yes. But I usually rip the mounting tabs off, and 3M won't do a thing for that.

The sucks mbr. :oops:

I had my new fogs stone guarded along with the rest of the front end when I had the entire front repainted last year. Zero problems so far. I think it does help. The film on the fogs and the ZKW's is a LOT thicker then what touches the paint. :thumbup:

lip277
04-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Try E-bay.
I just bought new glass lenses for the headlights on the E38 ($80/pr). They are the OE Bosch pieces.

The dealer will only sell the whole headlight assy for ~$320 each.

You never know what you'll find. Might luck out.

Nick M3
04-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I bought from Tischer. 20% or so off BMW list for CCA members. Circle or Pacific will probably have better pricing since you're mail order anyway.

Theo
04-21-2005, 11:40 AM
I bought from Tischer. 20% or so off BMW list for CCA members. Circle or Pacific will probably have better pricing since you're mail order anyway.

I agree with that. I get most of my stuff from Pacific at a pretty big savings.

rumatt
04-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Circle's prices are nothing special these days. I think they've creeped back up and they're hoping nobody will notice.

ayn
04-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Clear bras for the lights?

lip277
04-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Clear bras for the lights?

I was actually going to suggest that.

http://www.xpel.com/ has them for ~$40 for all the lights (headlights and fogs) for E46's

Other's are available. I have them on my Yukon and they still look brand new (the paint protection is there as well and has worked great also).

Roadstergal
04-21-2005, 12:11 PM
$62.

http://www.eap4parts.com/en-us/dept_1095.html

FC
04-21-2005, 12:55 PM
$62.

http://www.eap4parts.com/en-us/dept_1095.html

Wow, thanks Rgal!

I might as well get the Xpel + the fog light replacement if it all is going to cost around $100.

EDIT: I think those are the prices for the regualr 330i fog lights not the M-technik foglights.

TD
04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Like TBM3, I have stone guard on both my fogs and headlights. It's a thick plastic film and it would take a lot to crack my foglights with it in place.

I had replaced one foglight or the other every 6 months or so prior to putting the stone guard on. Now it's been well over two years without any damage.

FC
04-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Like TBM3, I have stone guard on both my fogs and headlights. It's a thick plastic film and it would take a lot to crack my foglights with it in place.

I had replaced one foglight or the other every 6 months or so prior to putting the stone guard on. Now it's been well over two years without any damage.

Now I regret not doing this (for the lights) when I first got the car. :banghead:

I cannot find stongard for headlamps/foglights. I'm sure I am just not seeing it though.

Maybe I ought to ask for samples directly from the 3M rep as an engineering request. :eeps:

Roadstergal
04-21-2005, 04:35 PM
EDIT: I think those are the prices for the regualr 330i fog lights not the M-technik foglights.

Picky, picky... :) Call them and ask. I called and asked about Z3 fogs (which weren't on the site at the time) - they gave me a quote, and the Z3 fogs appeared on the site a few days later...

FC
04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Call them and ask...

Will do. ;)

Theo
04-21-2005, 08:50 PM

Now I regret not doing this (for the lights) when I first got the car. :banghead:

I cannot find stongard for headlamps/foglights. I'm sure I am just not seeing it though.

Maybe I ought to ask for samples directly from the 3M rep as an engineering request. :eeps:

I got mine here, but you can call and ask if they have the correct application for the ZHP.

http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=156

dan
04-21-2005, 08:57 PM
i could never buy anything from umnitza

Theo
04-21-2005, 10:03 PM
i could never buy anything from umnitza

I got my ZKW's from him on a group buy. That's the only thing I ever bought. They were a great price and I love them. No problems from that sale. Why??? :?

TD
04-21-2005, 10:13 PM
I bought mine (plus all of the stone guard) from him through a group but as well. But this was well before he became more infamous. At that time, he was strictly a Bforums.com poster and has only just begun to operate umnitza.

It was a hell of a deal and everything went smoothly.

But I wouldn't buy from him today.

operknockity
04-23-2005, 01:33 PM
I bought mine (plus all of the stone guard) from him through a group but as well. But this was well before he became more infamous. At that time, he was strictly a Bforums.com poster and has only just begun to operate umnitza.

It was a hell of a deal and everything went smoothly.

But I wouldn't buy from him today.
In case y'all haven't noticed, our friend is getting reamed back on the 'Fest...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94736