PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone driven a Saab with a manual transmission ?

Alan
04-18-2005, 03:24 PM
I saw a beautiful new Saab 9-3 on the road today and never considered one before because I know Saab's have a reputation for having terrible manual transmissions.

I stasrted to think (or should I say hope) that maybe things have changed from many years ago. Has anyone driven a recent model Saab and what do you think of it ?

JST
04-18-2005, 03:28 PM
I saw a beautiful new Saab 9-3 on the road today and never considered one before because I know Saab's have a reputation for having terrible manual transmissions.

I stasrted to think (or should I say hope) that maybe things have changed from many years ago. Has anyone driven a recent model Saab and what do you think of it ?

Eh.

Not bad--the 9-3 I drove was better than the 9-5 I've driven, though neither like to be rushed. Hardly an enthusiast box, but WAAYY better than the last Mercedes I drove (an older SLK 3.2).

Not sure I'd buy a Saab--resale on them is awful.

TD
04-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Since Nick refuses to post the autox pics, I'm stuck posting this...

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/gallery/data/508/medium/DSC026011.jpg

The stick is fine. It's not nearly as easy to work as the stick in my M3. But it really isn't that bad. Once you acclimate to it, you never find yourself thinking negative thoughts about it.

The stick/clutch combo really is better than what's found in many manual tranny cars. It's infinitely better than the stick/clutch in (non-R32) VWs.

ZBB
04-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Not since ~'97 in '92 900S cab... Way outdated to compare to anything now...

Optimus Prime
04-18-2005, 05:06 PM
I drove the Saabaru 9-2x the other day...does this count?

FYI: it wasn't bad, better than the Mazda 6s manual...but that's not saying much.

Roadstergal
04-18-2005, 05:14 PM
I like Subaru clutches.

I don't like cable shifters.

lemming
04-19-2005, 07:19 PM
I like Subaru clutches.

I don't like cable shifters.

how true.

all of the great shifters are bolt action (rod-actuated).

i live with a horrible tremec 6 speed these days so it does not take much to be "better". :lol: