PDA

View Full Version : Cameras revisited

Roadstergal
04-17-2005, 11:47 PM
What's currently hip in the video camera department that's
-Small (we're talking affixing to the inside of that little SV windscreen)
-Capable of at least 1/2 hour of filming before needing to dump
-Affordable

Decent resolution would be nice, but those three are the most important considerations...

clyde
04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
affordable? have a more precise definition?

I'd suggest getting pretty much any MiniDV cam with aux video in and using some kind of bulletcam like you can get from Randy Chase at chasecam.com (there are other similar products availabel elsewhere, but none are coming to mind).

The biggest advantage is that you can mount it nearly anywhere without difficulty. You can record 60-90 minutes (at your choice). There is a 480 line version and a slightly lower resolution version too for slightly less money (not enough of a price break to make it worthwhile, IMO).

Roadstergal
04-18-2005, 12:14 AM
affordable? have a more precise definition?

The low end of whatever's acceptable. I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but I'll find a way to come up with how much you need for something that doesn't suck. This is a field with which I am completely unfamiliar.

clyde
04-18-2005, 08:38 AM
I'd go for a used MiniDV camcorder that has another video input and a chase cam type bullet camera. You ought to be able to get everything for under $400.

Both the camcorder and the bullet cam will need power sources. The camcorder can run on its own battery (if you buy used be careful about buying one that has a battery that can no longer hold a decent charge unless you're willing to buy a new battery for it, probably to the tune of $50-$100 depending). The bullet cams that I'm familiar with have used cigarette lighter adapters, but I'm pretty sure that you can hardwire them.

rumatt
04-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Going faster?

Now that I need to browse by clicking on a forum, I notice all the threads posted in the wrong place. :bigpimp:

Roadstergal
04-18-2005, 07:42 PM
I notice all the threads posted in the wrong place. :bigpimp:

Different requirements for a camcorder for the cousin's wedding vs. one that's going to go over 100 and turn a lot?

Roadstergal
04-18-2005, 07:43 PM
I'd go for a used MiniDV camcorder that has another video input and a chase cam type bullet camera. You ought to be able to get everything for under $400.

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for the former while I shuffle the budget. :P