PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Turbo Timers?

bren
10-31-2003, 12:48 PM
I need to find some info on Turbo Timers and don't know where to look. Do any of you guys know a good forum for turbo talk?

Nick M3
10-31-2003, 01:54 PM
Turbo talk for what?

The FI forum on bimmerforums.com is pretty good if this is a Bimmer issue...

bren
10-31-2003, 02:13 PM
No, it's not BMW related. A co-worker wants to suprise her boyfriend with a turbo timer for Christmas and she asked me to help her pick one out. I know nothing about it so I just thought I would ask around....

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check Bimmerforums for more info.

Nick M3
10-31-2003, 02:44 PM
You need to figure out what car this is for. :p It's kind of hard to look for info when you have no idea what you're looking for.

lemming
10-31-2003, 03:00 PM
No, it's not BMW related. A co-worker wants to suprise her boyfriend with a turbo timer for Christmas and she asked me to help her pick one out. I know nothing about it so I just thought I would ask around....

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check Bimmerforums for more info.

if you just did a google search for 'turbo timer' AND 'evo' or any japanese car, you'd find tons and tons of hits. GReddy. Vishnu. Cobb. HKS. whatever. even 'turbo timer' and '993tt' would pull up a bunch.

The HACK
10-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Isn't that something that'll keep a turbocharged engine running for like 5 minutes after you turn off the ignition, so that it allows the turbo to spool back down?

bren
10-31-2003, 06:43 PM
It is for an MR2 (early 90's, not sure exactly what year)

I tried Google, but I was looking for info from people I trust :P

Hack, you are correct. The timer keeps the car running for a specified time after you take the keys out...it allows for continued oil flow to cool the turbo. (thank you Google)

ayn
10-31-2003, 06:49 PM
Isn't that something that'll keep a turbocharged engine running for like 5 minutes after you turn off the ignition, so that it allows the turbo to spool back down?

I think so, I remember a friend back in college had one installed on his Supra TT... before he had that installed, he left the car running for 5 minutes after he parked every single time... :D

--Andrew

The HACK
11-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Only reason I know is that I saw a few guys doing that at the track with their WRXes.

lemming
11-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Only reason I know is that I saw a few guys doing that at the track with their WRXes.

i know that this is a good idea for all turbocharged cars, even though subaru has designed "out" the need to do this because it has oil flow to cool the turbo as well as passive watercooling of the turbo when you shut the engine off. it circulates through the turbo.

an even better idea is to also slap on an oil cooler.....