PDA

View Full Version : Tire Choices - 330i

SteveM
04-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Well, it's time to replace the tires on the 330i. The originals were ContiSports - I had replaced the rear set once at 16K miles and now only 12K miles later they are gone again (or nearly gone). The fronts still have 35-40% tread left.

I am considering the following tires:

Michelin PS2
Bridgestone RE750
Bridgestone S03

I don't particularly care much about wet performance here in sunny SoCal. I'd like to get more than 12-16K out of tires without sacrificing too much in performance. I don't auto-x or plan to any time soon.

I'm leaning towards the RE750 with the PS2 second (the RE750 has a rebate and are about $150 less total than the PS2).

Are there other tires I should be considering?

Any tires to avoid?

TD
04-14-2005, 10:19 AM
I grew to hate the S03s. Massive tramlining.

nate
04-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Get the PS2s, they kick ass.

bren
04-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Kuhmo MX, BFG KD, Falken Sport (or whatever they call it now)

Hankook also seems to be making a big push into the market.

TD
04-14-2005, 10:27 AM

I currently have the PS2s and think they are great. But one of the things I really like about them is their performance in the wet. And Steve is indicating that that doesn't matter much to him as it never rains in SoCal.

TD
04-14-2005, 10:29 AM

Hankook also seems to be making a big push into the market.

I had the Kumho MXs on my car for a couple thousand miles and pulled them because they scared the sh*t out of me. I autoxed with them once and they basically melted. And they were awful in rain.

BahnBaum
04-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I just put Toyo T-1s's on my e46. So far I'm pretty pleased.

Alex

rumatt
04-14-2005, 10:34 AM

Why would you want those tires for the street?

I don't auto-x or plan to any time soon.

rumatt
04-14-2005, 10:36 AM
I had the Kumho MXs on my car for a couple thousand miles and pulled them because they scared the sh*t out of me. I autoxed with them once and they basically melted. And they were awful in rain.

I never understood what happend with you and the MX. I've never tried them, but SCCA National's has plenty of folks using the MX, and they're known for thriving when hot. :dunno:

bren
04-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Why would you want those tires for the street?

Because they are the best dry weather tires.

SteveM
04-14-2005, 10:48 AM

I currently have the PS2s and think they are great. But one of the things I really like about them is their performance in the wet. And Steve is indicating that that doesn't matter much to him as it never rains in SoCal.

Well it does rain sometimes, but not enough to influence a tire choice. :P

Thanks for the advice thus far.

Toyo T-1s I hadn't even looked at yet.

rumatt
04-14-2005, 10:52 AM

I can't comprehend giving up the well roundedness of a PS2 to gain that 2% advantage (or whatever) in dry performance for the street. If you're cornering so hard on the street that the PS2's or S03's aren't enough, that scares me.

Falken Azenis on my E46 make it buzz like a helicopter on the highway, and make me risk my life if I unexpectedly hit a patch of standing water. It's cool in a macho kind of way to know that I have more dry grip than everyone around me, but other than that, it's a pretty pointless tradeoff IMO.

bren
04-14-2005, 10:58 AM

I can't comprehend giving up the well roundedness of a PS2 to gain that 2% advantage (or whatever) in dry performance for the street. If you're cornering so hard on the street that the PS2's or S03's aren't enough, that scares me.

Falken Azenis on my E46 make it buzz like a helicopter on the highway, and make me risk my life if I unexpectedly hit a patch of standing water. It's cool in a macho kind of way to know that I have more dry grip than everyone around me, but other than that, it's pretty pointless.
The bit about not worrying about rain is what prompted my recomendations.

I don't dissagree with you...especially after my recent "incident." Personally I've given serious thought to just running A/S tires on the street.

BahnBaum
04-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Personally I've given serious thought to just running A/S tires on the street.

Gun shy.

Alex

rumatt
04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
especially after my recent "incident." Personally I've given serious thought to just running A/S tires on the street.

Hmm. Link?

I definitely don't understand the obsession for dry grip on street tires.
Most turns have such limited visibility that I can't get anywhere near the tire's potential without getting into "I'll gamble there is nothing blocking the road around that blind corner".

My conti sports were more than enough to get me into trouble. And even with the all-seasons (which I use over the winter and into the spring) the limiting factor for me going off-roading is my own stupidity, not the lack of tire grip.

BahnBaum
04-14-2005, 11:17 AM
especially after my recent "incident." Personally I've given serious thought to just running A/S tires on the street.

Hmm. Link?

Bren's Incident (http://www.letterhead.com/meets/mars2002/images/accident.jpg)

Alex

bren
04-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Gun shy.

That, and like Matt said....driving anywhere near the limits of a performance tire on the street (especially in our cars) is extremely dangerous and stupid (although driving on the Dunlop R's is a tremendous amount of fun in just the improved steering feel alone.) Plus I'm a little concerned about the ride quality after the suspension change on the 19" tires.

nate
04-14-2005, 11:51 AM

They are very good in the dry too.

Very little tramlining, very quiet, very smooth, excellent grip, excellent steering feel.

Just an overall excellent tire.

bren
04-14-2005, 12:20 PM

Hmm. Link?

Bren's Incident (http://www.letterhead.com/meets/mars2002/images/accident.jpg)

Alex
:lol:

No, there is no link. Let's just say that hydroplaning on the highway sucks.

gek330i
04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Go all the way with the PS2's. I've only had four sets of tires (including snows) on my 330i and these are hands down the best overall.
For $150 price difference you won't be having second thoughts afterwards.
Go get 'em. :thumbup:

Jason C
04-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Though I don't have personal experience with them, every single independent review I've read seem to emerge with the consensus that PS2 > Other non R-compound street tires.

Intrestingly enough, TOV had a test of the Pilot Exalto PE2's where according to them, the Michelin guys there all but admitted that the PE2 actually has the edge over the PS2's in wet handling. With that said, I'd probably go with the PS2's. :)

http://www.michelinman.com/images/difference/releases/ps2_press.jpg