PDA

View Full Version : New Rubber!

Doug
10-30-2003, 10:23 PM
I got a set of 235/45-17 Pilot Sports today....for $400! :twisted:
Some idiot in an Audi had them on his car for a week and didn't like them..they aren't even hardly scuffed!

Anyway, I like these tires, being a 45 instead of 40 they fill the wheelwell better and have a slightly softer ride due to the taller sidewall. No rubbing issues.

I think I still prefer S-03s but these tires are sweet especially for the price.

Nick M3
10-30-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm enjoying my free R-tires. :twisted:

TD
10-30-2003, 10:33 PM

And I will soon be digging my free front S-03 replacements.

Nick M3
10-30-2003, 10:35 PM

:thumbup:

nate
10-30-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm enjoying my free R-tires. :twisted:free?

Nick M3
10-30-2003, 11:12 PM

A local autoxer gave me his old set so I could test fitment. I certainly wasn't going buy a set in this size without testing first.

SpaceMonk
10-31-2003, 12:57 AM

A local autoxer gave me his old set so I could test fitment. I certainly wasn't going buy a set in this size without testing first.
Yeah, our local autox co-chair always gives away his r-comps when he's done with them. They're usually good for at least a run or two, if not one full day of autocrossing.

Just enough to give someone a taste. :twisted:

RKT BMR
10-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Some idiot in an Audi had them on his car for a week and didn't like them..they aren't even hardly scuffed!

Anyway, I like these tires, being a 45 instead of 40 they fill the wheelwell better and have a slightly softer ride due to the taller sidewall. No rubbing issues.

I think I still prefer S-03s but these tires are sweet especially for the price. :line:

Woohoo!

I love pilots, almost as much as my S03s! Pilot Sports were the oem soles on the RKT when I picked it up 2.5 years ago. They are most excellent :thumbup:

$400 for a full set?!? What a deal!!!!! :D

ARCHER
10-31-2003, 09:21 AM

Free? You truly suck.

TD
10-31-2003, 10:10 AM

Free? You truly suck.

Well, if you notice elsewhere, Nick thinks they suck. Hence he offered his to me. He dropped them by last night. My front S-03s are nearly bald and I hate my rear Kumhos. So I'm putting new rears and Nick's fronts on on Saturday.

jpgurl
10-31-2003, 11:24 AM

you suck. :mad: nice deal.

lemming
10-31-2003, 12:55 PM
to be fair, i really think that the new directional treads give up a lot of dry grip for the sake of v-tread patterns.

on the street, this is all completely academic, i think as "our" limits are usually below the tires' limits or that of the cars.

but my own experience at the track has been that pilot sports, ecsta 712s and S03s get really greasy after about 3 laps? usual sessions are what? 10 laps? i wish i could translate this to the auto-X course but i've never done it competitively, only got to run a course for fun, untimed for several runs.

.........and they just don't compare to victoracers or v700s or michelin cup tires. those are just outrageous.

these days, i'm leaning toward mild on the street and a fully dedicated track compound for the open spaces. and on the street, i think the S03s are too damn heavy for cars running OEM struts. just my humble $.02.