PDA

View Full Version : ok

zach
04-06-2005, 09:27 PM
As most people know, I'm becoming more and more frustrated with my e36. While part of this is my JST-esque desire for something different, I had yet another brake caliper seize on me over the weekend and it pissed me off. The car needs a bunch of work and I'm kind of tired of it. I'm thinking of replacing it.

Another thing to consider is the fact that I'm going to school next year. My income will be, uh, compromised.

Here are the options I'm considering:

1) Sell the e36. Buy a 2002 e46 M3 (I have one in mind that, despite being out of warranty, appears to be a great deal).

2) Sell the e36. Buy a 2003 -2004 330 zhp. This is appealing from a pricing POV, but I hate giving up performance.

3) Suck it up and keep the e36.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

SARAFIL
04-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Given this:

Another thing to consider is the fact that I'm going to school next year. My income will be, uh, compromised.

I think this change should be made:

1) Sell the e36. Buy a 2002 e46 M3 (I have one in mind that, despite being out of warranty, appears to be a great deal).

2) Sell the e36. Buy a 2003 -2004 330 zhp. This is appealing from a pricing POV, but I hate giving up performance.

4) Sell the e36. Buy a Hyundai. :cry:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

zach
04-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Given this:

I think this change should be made:

4) Sell the e36. Buy a Hyundai. :cry:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Uh, no.

clyde
04-06-2005, 09:46 PM
If money is at all a concern, I can't fathom buying an out of warranty E46 M3.

zach
04-06-2005, 09:48 PM

Well, the exploding motor is warranted for 100k miles. Other than that, what will break on the e46 that won't break on the e36? :dunno:

bren
04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm with him. There is no way an e36 is going to cost more to maintain.

lip277
04-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Duh! Took the words right out of my mouth. :slap:

Hyundai sounds better and better! :)

OR at the very least a Honda or Toyota.... :twisted:

zach
04-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I think we're misunderstanding the purpose of this post. Money is, as always, an issue, but not the primary one.

Also keep in mind the likelihood of a 2002 car with 32k miles breaking over a 1998 car with 100k.

TD
04-06-2005, 10:01 PM
If you want a new-ish car that's as fun to drive as the E36 M3 but costs a lot less than an E46 M3, get the VW R32. Considering where you live, the AWD is an extra bonus.

The car is that good. If I was as frustrated with my E36 as you are with yours, I'd already have the R32.

EDIT- BTW, my E36 turned over 70K miles TONIGHT. I can honestly say that the last time I had a non-maintenance repair was back at 49,500 miles (in May 2003). And that was covered under warranty. Prior to that, my previous non-maintenance repair was at 30,200 miles (in Feb 2002).

BahnBaum
04-06-2005, 10:03 PM
I think we're misunderstanding the purpose of this post.

If you're anything like me, the purpose of this post is for us to tell you what you want to hear.

:P

Alex

zach
04-06-2005, 10:04 PM
If you want a new-ish car that's as fun to drive as the E36 M3 but costs a lot less than an E46 M3, get the VW R32. Considering where you live, the AWD is an extra bonus.

The car is that good. If I was as frustrated with my E36 as you are with yours, I'd already have the R32.

I have a problem buying a variation of a car ranked "least reliable" by consumer reports (even though I hate consumer reports).

My codriver doesn't like Golfs so I doubt that will happen. I think we'll have to try it though.

I wish the GTO didn't suck so much.

zach
04-06-2005, 10:06 PM
I think we're misunderstanding the purpose of this post.

If you're anything like me, the purpose of this post is for us to tell you what you want to hear.

:P

Alex

I wish I knew what I want to hear. I really don't. If you all pushed me in one direction towards either fat pig, I'd have to seriously consider it.

TD
04-06-2005, 10:07 PM

I have a problem buying a variation of a car ranked "least reliable" by consumer reports (even though I hate consumer reports).

My codriver doesn't like Golfs so I doubt that will happen. I think we'll have to try it though.

Consumer Reports rates the R32?

The car does not share an engine or tranny with the Golf. Only a body and electronics. It is essentially an Audi TT 3.2 with a more practical body.

And it's really impressive. And a decent low-mileage copy can be had for around $26K.

zach
04-06-2005, 10:09 PM

The car does not share an engine or tranny with the Golf. Only a body and electronics. It is essentially an Audi TT 3.2 with a more practical body.

And it's really impressive. And a decent low-mileage copy can be had for around $26K.

_________

But you do make a good point. I'll consider it.

BahnBaum
04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I wish I knew what I want to hear. I really don't. If you all pushed me in one direction towards either fat pig, I'd have to seriously consider it.

The part that you may not want to hear is that you're in the enviable position of knowing that your income is soon to be "compromised". Most people get surprised by that, so you're a step ahead of the game.

What a couple of people here have recommended is that given the heads up you have, some of us wouldn't be looking at making any of the purchases you're suggesting. I'd be hunkering down to weather the storm, but that's just me.

Alex

TD
04-06-2005, 10:17 PM

_________

But you do make a good point. I'll consider it.

In case you missed them, here are Edmunds' reviews from last year:

Follow-up test- http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=103524#5
First drive- http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=101405

bren
04-06-2005, 10:22 PM
They'd probably pay you take one of the many leftover 2004's.

clyde
04-06-2005, 10:27 PM
http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/i/buyersguide/small/mustan15.jpg

JST
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Alex has a point, but whether it is a good one depends on financial information that we are not privy to.

Leaving that aside, then, at least for the sake of argument, let me give you my thoughts.

Not sure whether the E36 is paid off, or if you would have to be taking out a note to buy the E46. If the E36 is paid off, it WILL be the cheapest car to own over the next couple of years. Minor maintenance items aside, you have endured the worst of the depreciation storm, and the car will sort of plateau for the next few years.

I wouldn't buy the E46 M3. I liked that car, and I don't regret "owning" one, but while it always appealed to me intelectually, it never really did emotionally. Maybe it was how much it cost. Maybe it was that it felt, at the end of the day, kind of big, numb and heavy. Maybe it was because it felt like a sedan trapped in a coupe body. Maybe it was a combination of these things. But, honestly, I like the ZHP as a daily driver more. I miss the power of the M3, but I don't miss the heavy and annoying control efforts, and I don't miss the fact that my head rubbed the headliner, and I don't miss the fact that it felt porcine in everything but straight line speed. I also don't miss the exhaust, which always sounded stupid, or the fact that I had to strap a space-saver spare in the trunk because BMW thought 4 exhaust tips was more important that a usable tire well.

At the same time, I can't wholeheartedly recommend a ZHP; even coming from the E36 M3 you may find that it has a torque defecit that annoys. I am starting to get used to having a car that I actually have to shift to make go moderately fast, but not having to worry about that with my last two cars (E36 and E46 M3) was nice. Still, 03s with low mileage seem to be trading at or around $30K, and that seems like a screaming deal on this car.

You are in a tough spot--almost TDesque. You own one of the finest sports sedans EVER built, a car that still offers performance better than most of the entries in the "entry lux" segment. At the same time, you own an E36, which means that there are lots of annoying things that can and will break, and believe me when I say I understand how that can drive a person with vehicular OCD absolutely, stark-raving batshit.

Not sure what I'd do, other than not buying the E46 M3.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah, clyde's post reminds me that I was also going to suggest the Mustang. And the RX-8.

zach
04-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Stuff

http://www.nelsonresidence.com/smiles/HitNailOnHead.gif

blee
04-07-2005, 01:11 AM
I wish I'd kept my '99 M3. I've grown quite fond of my current ride, and I liked the '88 more than the '99, but I can't get over how well that car fit into everyday life while still giving me excellent performance. What a great balance, a true sports sedan. If I hadn't bought such a pristine example, I probably would have kept it all this time.

zach
04-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Well, I guess I'll hold onto the e36. Let's hope it makes it through three years of school.

Roadstergal
04-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Do you need something with a back seat?

FC
04-07-2005, 01:05 PM
At the same time, I can't wholeheartedly recommend a ZHP; even coming from the E36 M3 you may find that it has a torque defecit that annoys. I am starting to get used to having a car that I actually have to shift to make go moderately fast, but not having to worry about that with my last two cars (E36 and E46 M3) was nice. Still, 03s with low mileage seem to be trading at or around $30K, and that seems like a screaming deal on this car.

I am on record on agreeing with most here that a ZHP is a great sports sedan that is missing some low-end torque. My partial solution is to drive the car at basically over 3000rpm all the time. That seems to solve the gutless issue (while the car is already in motion at least), since you're always only a few hundred rpm from peak torque.

That said, if I were in your shoes, Zach, I would not get the ZHP. I may actually look at a Legacy GT to get you through law school. Then you can get a nice, kick-ass car and not feel guilty about it since you both will be making big bucks. But that is just me.

Rob
04-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Again with the subaru! :lol:

I agree with Clyde. For less money than your other options, you could have a real tire burner for a few years. It isn't "luxury," but it would fit the "student lifestyle" better anyway. It would be covered by warranty throughout your time as a student, so, depending on your tire consumption, you would know your expenses ahead of time.

That's assuming you really want to make a change. Your most economical choice is almost certainly to stay with your car. Besides, if you bought a mustang GT, you might never be able to go back to lower torque engines.

SARAFIL
04-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Zach,

How are your windows working? I went through my second window regulator on my car this morning. I used to think that that was a problem new to the E46, but now I'm seeing E36s suffered from that as well.

JST
04-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Zach,

How are your windows working? I went through my second window regulator on my car this morning. I used to think that that was a problem new to the E46, but now I'm seeing E36s suffered from that as well.

Wow. 3 E46s and 1 E36, and I have never had a window regulator problem (knocking loudly on wood). Maybe that's because my karma is still good from having to replace 3 in less than 1 year on my two-door VW.

zach
04-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Zach,

My windows are a bit slow, but still work. Please don't jinx me.

zach
04-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Do you need something with a back seat?

Yes, but only for (practicing!) making babies. :speechle:

But seriously, my girlfriend and I both absolutely love the new Miata. However, as we have decided to share a car, we need some semblance of utility. This weekend we had four people in the M3. I need four seats.

rumatt
04-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Zach, I'd say either stick with the E36, or if it really is draining your wallet, consider something other than BMW.

E46 M3: Too expensive. I'm not trying to comment on your finances, but it's a freaking expensive car.

ZHP: How many people go from a E36 M3 to an E46 330 and are happy?

I really think the 330 is the wrong car if you're looking for something sporty. It's the right car if you're looking for luxury(ish) first, sport and performance second. If you're in this category, it's a rewarding car.

zach
04-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Zach, I'd say either stick with the E36, or if it really is draining your wallet, consider something other than BMW.

E46 M3: Too expensive. I'm not trying to comment on your finances, but it's a freaking expensive car.

I really think the 330 is the wrong car if you're looking for something sporty. It's the right car if you're looking for luxury(ish) first, sport and performance second. If you're in this category, it's a rewarding car.

Money aside, it's more the aggravation of having to fix the thing. For example, I don't have time to replace brake calipers more than once per year.

SARAFIL
04-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Zach,

Wow. 3 E46s and 1 E36, and I have never had a window regulator problem (knocking loudly on wood). Maybe that's because my karma is still good from having to replace 3 in less than 1 year on my two-door VW.

My parents have had to have 3 window regulators replaced on 2 different E46s. Their current one has been 100% flawless, though, so I do have some faith that BMW is moving in the right direction. (knocks on wood)

On my car, I "repaired" the drivers side regulator last year when it broke. This time I just had them replace the entire regulator on the passenger side instead of fixing it. Why? Because every time I open the driver's window, I can hear something making noises and I'm just waiting for the repaired regulator to break again. I'm going to bet on needing a replacement for that one within the month-- it's been awfully noisy lately.

SARAFIL
04-07-2005, 09:08 PM

Money aside, it's more the aggravation of having to fix the thing. For example, I don't have time to replace brake calipers more than once per year.

That's my biggest issue with my car, also-- the hassle of it breaking and then needing to fix it. I work at a dealer and I still get irritated having to deal with all the stupid shit on this car. In terms of actual cost, it's been damn cheap to operate this car for nearly 2 years-- probably $500 in repairs and $500 in maintenance. Considering that I have the title (no payments to a bank) and that it's reached a pretty flat point in the depreciation curve, it's not costing me much to operate this car. While I might save on maintenance and repairs on a newer BMW with warranty and maintenance coverage, I highly doubt I could say that I'd be able to maintain the nearly flat depreciation curve.

rumatt
04-08-2005, 12:09 AM

I can see that. But unless you're in the mood for a "less raw, more luxurious" ride, the 330 is probably a bad idea.

Here's something to consider. I think that the 330 is best for those who do a lot of open driving. At highway speed, it's great, and I really enjoy the car. Stable, reasonably powerful, quiet, but still sporty. Around town, the car bugs me.

BTW, your subject line for this thread sucks. :twisted: