PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems.....

lip277
03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
What do any of you folks know about them?

My Mom's 740iL has lost two tires due to not knowing the tire was flat (or very low). About a year back, I was driving the car for one of the flats and I couldn't really tell that I had a flat (or nearly flat) tire in driving it - long story.

My Mom lost another tire Sunday on the freeway that had been low on air. The funy part was that a good friend of my brother had noticed the tire was low and was trying to get that info to her but didn't know her cell number. The friend was telling my Brother what he saw when the tire went. Now this same friend (who has a body shop) has a customer as there was some slight damage to the rear fender when the tire let loose. Oh well....

In looking at tirerack.com's tire monitoring systems.... Do any of them have a more 'stealthy' cabin display unit? What about just a warning buzzer instead of the visible boxes?

Just seeing if any of us have messed around with these. I'm thinking of getting one myself when I replace the tires the next time. Any info or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

ayn
03-31-2005, 11:57 AM
You can hide the display in the glove box pretty easily. I know a guy with a SC'ed 540i 6spd who did that himself.

lip277
03-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Does it make noise or something then? In reading the description at the TireRack, I didn't see anything in that regard.

ayn
03-31-2005, 12:46 PM
I think it does, otherwise it would be kindda useless... actually he put his display in the ashtray, not the glovebox...

Pinecone
04-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Can you say tire guage and actually using it? :)

The problem with anything aftermarket, teh display has to be somewhat taked on.

lip277
04-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Can you say tire guage and actually using it? :)

The problem with anything aftermarket, teh display has to be somewhat taked on.

She'll probably just return to getting gas at the corner gas station (full serve) and have them check the tires. She can afford it anyway, so.... oh well.

Since they are customers of ours (we deliver fuel to them) it's the least they can do. :)