PDA

View Full Version : Silver State high speed event for my e36 M3 ??

RedmondRocket
10-29-2003, 05:11 PM
I had an adventurous friend call me yesterday and seriously propose that if I would enter my e36 '98 M3 in the Silver State High Speed Event he would split all costs with me....

For those unfamiliar with the Silver State they take a 90 mile stretch of highway out in the Nevada Desert and you maintain a pre determined speed (say 115 mph) for the 90 miles....whoever most accurately maintains exactly their pre chosen speed wins their class ( classes are made up of all entrants committed to maintain a particular speed... say 115 mph).....

The event draws lots of Corvettes and a number of exotics....I think I would have to change rear end ratios to something numerically lower to not risk blowing an engine.....90 miles at high speed with Nevada temps would test the cooling system for sure.....http://members.roadfly.org/z3Redmond/Spokane3.jpg

Doug
10-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Saw a show this weekend about that..I was half tempted myself.
Lots of late 60's Detroit Iron (Mustangs, Cameros, even the General Lee with Rob Schneider at the wheel) Some pee cars too.

Hey Marty, we could be Team Bimmerevolution!

Roadstergal
10-29-2003, 06:29 PM
For those unfamiliar with the Silver State they take a 90 mile stretch of highway out in the Nevada Desert and you maintain a pre determined speed (say 115 mph) for the 90 miles....whoever most accurately maintains exactly their pre chosen speed wins their class ( classes are made up of all entrants committed to maintain a particular speed... say 115 mph).....

I don't get it - a test of cruise control systems? :?

Doug
10-29-2003, 06:37 PM
There are multiple classes (Speeds) including 150+ If ya saw a pic of the porsche that destroyed itself after blowing a turn you wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

RedmondRocket
10-29-2003, 06:55 PM
The 90 miles of desert is not all flat and straight...in fact part of it goes down into a twisty canyon.....so you're running 120 mph on the straights so that you can drop to 70 or 80 in the section with some curves....it is a time and distance calculation challenge all performed at high speed

Roadstergal
10-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Ah, gotcha. For some reason I was thinking it was all straights and sweepers.

Get a Microsoft techie geek with a GPS and a laptop as a co-pilot. :)

Doug
10-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Ah, gotcha. For some reason I was thinking it was all straights and sweepers.

Get a Microsoft techie geek with a GPS and a laptop as a co-pilot. :)

Hey...Where's David Keogh? :D