PDA

View Full Version : 2007 MINI Cooper S, 19000 miles

JST
01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Late-build 2007 MINI Cooper S (R56), 19,000 miles.

Laser blue/white roof over black/grey interior.

Factory warranty through October 2011.

6 speed manual

Cold weather package (heated seats, mirrors and washer jets)

Premium package (sport steering wheel, moonroof, automatic climate control)

Bluetooth

Sports suspension

Mechanical limited slip differential (LSD)

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

16” bridge spoke wheels

Rear fog lamps.

Completely stock save for aftermarket XM radio.

All books and records, 1 owner, title in hand.

$17,500 (but there's a potential Carmudgeons discount)

This car is really something else. I just got back from a longish drive in it and I tend to forget just how much fun it is. It gets good fuel economy, is a perfect commuter, and can be parked nearly anywhere, but underneath the cute MINI-ness it is an amazingly serious performance car. What impresses me anew every time I drive isn't how well it handles (that's a cliche), but rather how comfortable it is at 70-90 mph on the highway. It really is geared for the autobahn (which is another cliche, but one that isn't typically said about MINIs).

It's very well spec'd, too, if I do say so myself--the interior is 'ette and impervious to nearly anything you can throw at it, the 16" wheels mean it has reasonable compliance over city potholes, the sport suspension tightens things up usefully, and the mechanical LSD is nice (and missing from the option sheet on both new MINIs and all R56 JCW factory cars).

I honestly wish it made sense to keep it, since I am going to miss it and probably will regret selling it...but 4 cars is just too many. My house is starting to look like a used car lot.

BahnBaum
01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Hmmm. Interesting...

Alex

rumatt
01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
If only you were looking for a smaller fun car you might want to own while you keep the Jeep.

bren
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
If only you were looking for a smaller fun car you might want to own while you keep the Jeep.
:lol:

SARAFIL
01-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Hmmm. Interesting...

Alex

I think this is also the color-combo that FC's wife likes.

Maybe you guys can have a bidding war?

JST
01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
BMW's marketing of the 1er M aside, this is the closest thing to the E30 that BMW currently makes, even if it is FWD.

And it'll pay for itself in fuel savings over the SRT in like 3 weeks.

SARAFIL
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
BMW's marketing of the 1er M aside, this is the closest thing to the E30 that BMW currently makes, even if it is FWD.

And it'll pay for itself in fuel savings over the SRT in like 3 weeks.

Reading your ad is making me want to keep my car a bit longer. I probably wouldn't go out and buy another new one at this point, but I'll see what the payoff is on mine in a few months and maybe it'll make sense to keep it for another year or two. Although I have a suspicious feeling that I'll run into the same problem my father did and the payoff will be stupid.

You're also right on about how it feels at highway speed (though mine has a bit more "oomph" due to JCW kit)-- I am always amazed at how effortlessly the car accelerates from 65mph+ on the highway, in 5th or 6th gear.

FC
01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
You have me thinking stupid thoughts right now.

Plaz
01-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Wow, you've got me thinking I should get one of these.

Oh, wait...

SARAFIL
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM
You have me thinking stupid thoughts right now.

A thought about a MINI is never a stupid thought. :eeps:

JST: I hope I get a bird dog if he buys the car ;) (just kidding, of course)

FC
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Just thinking about selling the volvo and buying this car. I would end up with money after the move. The JGC does fine as the fmaily car, and an MCS as a spare/emergency/fun/economic/get-the wife-off-my-back car may not be so bad. Plus navigable amounts of brownie points for future car purchases.

After all, I do have 3 car garages and a large driveway. I'd need to get the stripes and driving lights ASAP for her to be happy, but that doesn't seem painful.

SARAFIL
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
After all, I do have 3 car garages and a large driveway. I'd need to get the stripes and driving lights ASAP for her to be happy, but that doesn't seem painful.

Just buy it already!

I have "a guy" that will take good care of you on the accessories. :D

TD
01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Just thinking about selling the volvo and buying this car. I would end up with money after the move. The JGC does fine as the fmaily car, and an MCS as a spare/emergency/fun/economic/get-the wife-off-my-back car may not be so bad. Plus navigable amounts of brownie points for future car purchases.

I have to admit, that car would look great with the driving lights and stripes.

JST
01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Let me know. I'd rather see it go to a good home...

FC
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Let me know. I'd rather see it go to a good home...

I spoke to my wife about it last night. We need another couple of days to talk about it some more.

Like I said, other than the stripes and lights (and maybe chekered mirrors), it is pretty much exactly as I would have ordered, so it's now or never if we want to own a used MCS. We have the money set aside for house work (new deck+addition to FR & garages) this spring, so we'd just buy it in cash and take our time selling the V70R.

Any issues/warranty work of note? Any cosmetic faults besides a few swirls and the odd stone chip?

John V
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
With what our Mazdaspeed3 is worth on the open market, we could probably pick this up and only have to cover the titling, inspection and tag fees. Ugh. I wish Marisa's job didn't require her to have a four door car. The Mini S was the car she wanted to get but couldn't.

lemming
01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
With what our Mazdaspeed3 is worth on the open market, we could probably pick this up and only have to cover the titling, inspection and tag fees. Ugh. I wish Marisa's job didn't require her to have a four door car. The Mini S was the car she wanted to get but couldn't.

Whoa there.

Drive an mspeed3 and r56 back to back and then reconsider.

John V
01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Don't have to. I'm very familiar with how both of them drive.

lemming
01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
I prefer the drivetrain of the speed3. You don't?

John V
01-05-2011, 08:40 AM
It's a lot faster than the R56, which is nice. But I have complaints. The gearing is really wonky. I think it does 50-something MPH in second gear, which is silly. The car is a torque monster. It should be geared taller. The other issue is fuel economy. For a small turbo four, it's not good. The engine is also pretty noisy.

As a result of all that, I'm shifting constantly when driving the car. And the shifter isn't great. It's heavy and very notchy and does not like to be rushed.

Final complaint is the powerband. From what I've learned about the car, Mazda used a small turbo to allow for fast boost generation. It pretty much is done for by 5,500 RPM. I think the redline is 6,500 (ish) but the car doesn't like to rev up there. And even with the small turbo, it takes some time to come online. Not much is available under 3500. So the powerband is pretty narrow. It feels as though our 1.8T jetta has a broder powerband. I get full boost (15psi) at just 2,500 RPM and it holds almost all the way to redline. Obviously the MS3 is stronger, so maybe that fat midrange is deceiving me.

As far as the handling goes, it doesn't really compare to an R56. The MS3 is a heavy car, over 3,100 lbs. Lots of that is on the nose. Narrow tires. Tall CoG. Struts. Do the math. It's got great Mazda steering feel and good directional stability, but it isn't what I'd call nimble or tossable.

It's still a very fun car to drive. It's comfy, fast, absurdly cheap, reliable, and it has a ton of space to haul things which has been very handy of late. But some days I think we would have been better off buying her a used E46 330 or an E92 328/330.

lemming
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
It's a lot faster than the R56, which is nice. But I have complaints. The gearing is really wonky. I think it does 50-something MPH in second gear, which is silly. The car is a torque monster. It should be geared taller. The other issue is fuel economy. For a small turbo four, it's not good. The engine is also pretty noisy.

As a result of all that, I'm shifting constantly when driving the car. And the shifter isn't great. It's heavy and very notchy and does not like to be rushed.

Final complaint is the powerband. From what I've learned about the car, Mazda used a small turbo to allow for fast boost generation. It pretty much is done for by 5,500 RPM. I think the redline is 6,500 (ish) but the car doesn't like to rev up there. And even with the small turbo, it takes some time to come online. Not much is available under 3500. So the powerband is pretty narrow. It feels as though our 1.8T jetta has a broder powerband. I get full boost (15psi) at just 2,500 RPM and it holds almost all the way to redline. Obviously the MS3 is stronger, so maybe that fat midrange is deceiving me.

As far as the handling goes, it doesn't really compare to an R56. The MS3 is a heavy car, over 3,100 lbs. Lots of that is on the nose. Narrow tires. Tall CoG. Struts. Do the math. It's got great Mazda steering feel and good directional stability, but it isn't what I'd call nimble or tossable.

It's still a very fun car to drive. It's comfy, fast, absurdly cheap, reliable, and it has a ton of space to haul things which has been very handy of late. But some days I think we would have been better off buying her a used E46 330 or an E92 328/330.

i drove the speed3 extensively, so i remember these things (vaguely). the only thing i wanted for in the R56 was more top end, but obviously that foolish given its low end and midrange power.

there were times when i wanted "more" highway passing (military grade) power and you know, you can hear the engine just straining and giving you all the boost its got to get there. those were the (many) times i wished for more displacement or an added turbo.

the speed3 has that military power for highway cruising and passing. i think the R56 is much better suited for stop and go commuting (less weight, more immediate turbo power), but those moments of open road.....

TD
01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
When I've driven the MCS, I've thought it could really use 10-15% more power. But, really, that's not what the car is about. There's a balance to it as it is. And that is what you appreciate (or don't, as the case may be).

lemming
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah. I know. I agree with you, TD.

The 135 is slightly on the wrong side of the balance, but I'm happier just a smidgen on this side if the equation. The one thing people miss is how great the short wheelbase is on the mini. It makes a huge difference.

JST
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
When I've driven the MCS, I've thought it could really use 10-15% more power. But, really, that's not what the car is about. There's a balance to it as it is. And that is what you appreciate (or don't, as the case may be).

There are always tradeoffs. The JCW has a nice jolt of extra power that really wakes the car up, but the tradeoff is a weaker low end (or perhaps just the perception of a weaker low end). It's not substantial, but it's there, and it takes away a little from the point-and-shoot nature of the MCS that is one of its main virtues.

More displacement would solve this...but more displacement would likely mean a bigger, heavier engine, beefier drivetrain and suspension bits, increased weight, decreased balance, and on and on.

Aside from the torque steer that you get in full throttle corner exits, the MCS is just about perfect for me, dynamically. I wouldn't change much of anything.

TD
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah. I know. I agree with you, TD.

The 135 is slightly on the wrong side of the balance, but I'm happier just a smidgen on this side if the equation. The one thing people miss is how great the short wheelbase is on the mini. It makes a huge difference.
I think we are all looking for someone to make a small, light, RWD, high-powered slot car that is neither ridiculously priced nor absurdly impractical.

EDIT- And at least kind of attractive.

ZBB
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
My wife had an '02 MCS, so an R52. It was a blast to drive, although it had a power gap under ~2500 rpm or so where it was very sluggish. Other than that power gap, we never felt that it was underpowered.

We tested an R56 Clubman S about ~20 months ago. The newer engine solved most of that power gap issue -- it felt like more torque was avail lower in the RPM range. It also felt more refined overall -- not as much road noise in the cabin for example.

SARAFIL
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
My wife had an '02 MCS, so an R52.

R53

;)

ZBB
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
R53

;)

Thanks for the correction. Its been gone for over 4 years now and my memory isn't what it used to be ;-)

SARAFIL
01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the correction. Its been gone for over 4 years now and my memory isn't what it used to be ;-)

It's confusing, I'll admit.

R50 = Cooper
R52 = Cooper and Cooper S Convertible
R53 = Cooper S (why does this get its own "R" number when both of the convertibles have the same one?)

I wonder what the R51 was?

TD
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I wonder what the R51 was?

Up through the E39, BMW skipped very few E #s in terms of vehicles that were actually produced. Since then, they seem to skip many more than make it to market.

John V
01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I think we are all looking for someone to make a small, light, RWD, high-powered slot car that is neither ridiculously priced nor absurdly impractical.

Yep.

TD
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Yep.

I'll add that we all seem willing to punt on one or two of these traits as a "next closest thing" compromise. But it's funny how someone willing to punt on certain trait(s) goes on to criticize someone who chose to punt on different trait(s).

BahnBaum
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I'll add that we all seem willing to punt on one or two of these traits as a "next closest thing" compromise. But it's funny how someone willing to punt on certain trait(s) goes on to criticize someone who chose to punt on different trait(s).

Some of us have punted on them all...

Alex

TD
01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Some of us have punted on them all...

Alex
Right now, I have nothing that comes close either.

JST
01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Right now, I have nothing that comes close either.

I am sort of throwing darts at the wall, but I feel like with four cars I've finally got the target surrounded.

TD
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I am sort of throwing darts at the wall, but I feel like with four cars I've finally got the target surrounded.
LOL.

John V
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
The closest thing to a RWD R56 is probably the MX-5. Similar weight, similar power, and I'm guessing fairly close to the same size. Not as practical due to being a two-seater.

If Mazda came out with a ~ 250hp MX-5 that didn't pack on significant extra weight, I'd have a hard time not cutting them a check.

lemming
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
If Mazda came out with a ~ 250hp MX-5 that didn't pack on significant extra weight, I'd have a hard time not cutting them a check.

i say this ALL the time.

even 220hp from a light pressure twin scroll turbo would be awesome.

it doesn't need much more power, but it'd sure as hell be nice.

i still love the R56.

JST
01-08-2011, 04:25 PM
SOLD

TD
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
That was easy.

Plaz
01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
:thumbup:

John V
01-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Congrats, FC!

rumatt
01-08-2011, 05:09 PM

rumatt
01-08-2011, 05:09 PM
FC, I can't believe you fell for this scammer.

Plaz
01-08-2011, 05:34 PM
FC, I can't believe you fell for this scammer.

lemming
01-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Totally cool.

FC
01-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Great car. Staying at a hotel outside Philly. I'm paranoid and hoping it will still be there in the morning since it's not yet registered in my name. For a moment I considered just driving straight home.

lemming
01-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Great car. Staying at a hotel outside Philly. I'm paranoid and hoping it will still be there in the morning since it's not yet registered in my name. For a moment I considered just driving straight home.

Should get ridiculous mileage cruising at 75mph, too.

kognito
01-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Congrats, and good luck getting any sleep tonight. Isn't there also another winter storm predicted for the east coast tomorrow???

Must be a very good feeling knowing your used car was well taken care of.

lemming
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
R56 with a limited slip even on all seasons can get through a lot.

equ
01-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Congrats!

(I was secretly hoping for you to pass on it with plans to make it the next gf-mobile.)

FC
01-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Decided to swap cars with my friends civic for the night. MCS is fine. Full report later.

SARAFIL
01-09-2011, 09:59 AM
R56 with a limited slip even on all seasons can get through a lot.

+1

LSD FTW!! This thing is a beast in the snow, and if you put on snows it is even better.

My friend's wife had a R56S and every time we talk about MINIs, she tells me how much she loved the car except for when it snowed. When I tell her that I've never had problems with mine (on all-seasons) and that I drive through just about everything, she doesn't believe me.

lip277
01-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Haha - Try seven like I have. ;)
And I still think of adding to the fleet... :eeps:

Plaz
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I think my MINI (I've got the LSD too) is the best snow car I've ever had.

kognito
01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
The only reason I mentioned the snow was because of the chances improve on having something happen to you due to some other asshole.

If I remember correctly, FC can't make the vehicle completely legal till it is parked in MA, right?

lemming
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Snows are overkill if the r wagon or jgc are still around.

FC
01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Snows are overkill if the r wagon or jgc are still around.

Really? I didn't really encounter any snow at all, so I don't know yet. I did park on an icey spot and the LSD did its magic to get me out.

Anyhow, the car is safely at home now.

SARAFIL
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Really? I didn't really encounter any snow at all, so I don't know yet. I did park on an icey spot and the LSD did its magic to get me out.

Anyhow, the car is safely at home now.

I was driving up some snow-covered hills in RI earlier, and the MINI got me up despite the constantly-flashing DSC light thanks to the LSD. I guess 28k miles is just about enough out of the stock all-season runflats.

lemming
01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
I was driving up some snow-covered hills in RI earlier, and the MINI got me up despite the constantly-flashing DSC light thanks to the LSD. I guess 28k miles is just about enough out of the stock all-season runflats.

I've had to turn off dsc in the past and rely solely on the limited slip unit (on all seasons runcraps).

With snow tires, I would guess only ground clearance would slow you down.

FC
01-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I've had to turn off dsc in the past and rely solely on the limited slip unit (on all seasons runcraps).

With snow tires, I would guess only ground clearance would slow you down.

I'll probably have the R thru most of the winter so I'll just use up the rft's, but I'll almost likely go with snows next winter.

To 17" or to 16" is the question. I still think I rather go with summer tires vs rfs.

Plaz
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I tried to get the OEM RFTs at the last minute late last fall, and was unable to. No one had any RFTs in stock in the right size. Got some non-RFT Bridgestones, but honestly, I kind of do miss the security of the RFTs. Having them saved my ass one night last spring, heading home from NYC with the family.

FC
01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I tried to get the OEM RFTs at the last minute late last fall, and was unable to. No one had any RFTs in stock in the right size. Got some non-RFT Bridgestones, but honestly, I kind of do miss the security of the RFTs. Having them saved my ass one night last spring, heading home from NYC with the family.

Did the ride improve? Are you on 17"s? Do you have the sports suspension?