PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best (cheapest) place to get BBS rims?

TD
10-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Where is the best (cheapest) place to get BBS rims? Specifically RKIIs.

If I can find them cheap enough, I'd love another set to use as "winter" rims on the Saab.

clyde
10-28-2003, 10:33 PM
If I can find them cheap enough, I'd love another set to use as "winter" rims on the Saab.

If it doesn't snow (or whatever) enough around here to justify "winter" tires, what's the point of "winter" rims? :?

TD
10-28-2003, 10:35 PM

If it doesn't snow (or whatever) enough around here to justify "winter" tires, what's the point of "winter" rims? :?

I want a set of all-seasons for the snow.

I want at least ONE car I can use in crappy weather, dammit.

clyde
10-28-2003, 10:40 PM

http://www.lawair.com/bmw/spin.gif

Masskrug
10-28-2003, 11:19 PM

It really is liberating to look out your living room window at the WORST weather ever, grab a warm coat, and plow out of your driveway to go ANYWHERE you want.

It's a good feeling.

JST
10-28-2003, 11:21 PM

It really is liberating to look out your living room window at the WORST weather ever, grab a warm coat, and plow out of your driveway to go ANYWHERE you want.

It's a good feeling.

Yep. And I can do it with my FWD VW wearing all season Contis.

Masskrug
10-28-2003, 11:26 PM

And I'll guarantee that you'll get stuck in 3 feet of unpacked/unplowed snow. Ask me how I know. I used to live in Indiana.

Nick M3
10-28-2003, 11:30 PM
So here's the question...

Is it OK to put just two tires with traction on a FWD car? :dunno:

nate
10-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Tire Rack as all kinds of inexpensive wheels...

I just looked, I really didn't see any bad looking wheels for your Saab..

nate
10-28-2003, 11:36 PM
So here's the question...

Is it OK to put just two tires with traction on a FWD car? :dunno:no

Nick M3
10-29-2003, 08:31 AM
To answer the actual question, Sam at Radial Tire.

He beat TireRack on SuperLeggeras and matched them on RKs when I got quotes.

clyde
10-29-2003, 08:35 AM
To answer the actual question, Sam at Radial Tire.

He beat TireRack on SuperLeggeras and matched them on RKs when I got quotes.

And gave me an even lower price on the SLs a couple weeks later. :D

Seriously, call Radial after you get quotes elsewhere. You'll probably be happy.

Nick M3
10-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Seriously, though, it's your TOURING CAR! stick the HTR Zs on fleabay and put some decent all seasons on.

There is NO REASON to have a second set of wheels for your highway and snow car.

Roadstergal
10-29-2003, 11:16 AM
From the tire thread, theft seems to be the way to go. :paranoid:

The HACK
10-29-2003, 12:18 PM
If you haven't purchased yet...

Mike Kim from Pure Motorsports can hook you up. When I bought my RGRs, let's just say I saved enough to purchase an additional rim from even the LOWEST prices I've found online. Really cool guy, just tell him that you know me and the SCTS tribe members, and that I recommended that you talk to and deal with him.

He's actually one of the bigger importers of BBS rims out here on the West Coast, but mainly for VW and Audi. He can custom ORDER any of the wheels they have available at a very hefty discount.

JST
10-29-2003, 01:38 PM

And I'll guarantee that you'll get stuck in 3 feet of unpacked/unplowed snow. Ask me how I know. I used to live in Indiana.

An X5 would get stuck in that, too. 36" of snow? What's the ground clearance? 11? 9?

My bottom line is that my FWD car with traction control and all season tires will drive through just about any weather I am likely to encounter in an urban environment in the mid-Atlantic. An X5 would certainly increase my ability to handle very deep snow, but even in 25 years of Michigan winters we rarely encountered snow deep enough to high-center the vehicle. When the snow was that deep you had no business being on the roads, anyway.

lemming
10-29-2003, 01:53 PM
TD: so, what is the going rate for RKIIs? in 17s or 18s.

also, have you looked at ebay at all for bbs sets off of other people's aeros?

Masskrug
10-29-2003, 02:00 PM
An X5 would get stuck in that, too. 36" of snow? What's the ground clearance? 11? 9?

My bottom line is that my FWD car with traction control and all season tires will drive through just about any weather I am likely to encounter in an urban environment in the mid-Atlantic. An X5 would certainly increase my ability to handle very deep snow, but even in 25 years of Michigan winters we rarely encountered snow deep enough to high-center the vehicle. When the snow was that deep you had no business being on the roads, anyway.

I had a 4Runner when I lived in the Midwest. You know what the weather is like then if you've lived there. Unpredictable lake-effect snow. For the last five years, where I lived in Indiana had at least one to two yearly snowstorms that buried the town in 2-3 feet of snow overnight. There are some jobs where you MUST be on duty, deep snow or not. I dug out my 4Runner last year out of 2-3 feet of snow, and plowed that sucker to work.

I don't think the X5 has as much ground clearance as the 4Runner, but it's pretty close.

I can't comment on your conditions in the mid-Atlantic area, never having lived there.

TD
10-29-2003, 03:46 PM
TD: so, what is the going rate for RKIIs? in 17s or 18s.

also, have you looked at ebay at all for bbs sets off of other people's aeros?

I am only looking at 17s. The best price NEW that I've seen is $525 each. I saw a slightly damaged set of 4 go for $710 the other day, no tires. And I am thinking about a set of 4 "slightly used" ones shod with S-03s where the seller is asking $1500.

And while th ecar is wearing Sumitomo SRTZ IIs right now, the rims that I am going to swap for (soon, I'm promised) have Dunlops on them We've done okay in the snow with my wife's car wearing summer-only Dunlops.

The HACK
10-29-2003, 04:02 PM
I am only looking at 17s. The best price NEW that I've seen is $525 each.

:?

I paid almost $100 less per wheel for my 18" RGRs. :paranoid:

SpaceMonk
10-29-2003, 06:01 PM

Mike Kim from Pure Motorsports can hook you up. When I bought my RGRs, let's just say I saved enough to purchase an additional rim from even the LOWEST prices I've found online. Really cool guy, just tell him that you know me and the SCTS tribe members, and that I recommended that you talk to and deal with him.

He's actually one of the bigger importers of BBS rims out here on the West Coast, but mainly for VW and Audi. He can custom ORDER any of the wheels they have available at a very hefty discount.
:cry: You didn't mention this to me when I was looking to pick up my RG-R's.

The HACK
10-29-2003, 06:18 PM
:cry: You didn't mention this to me when I was looking to pick up my RG-R's.

You didn't ask. :dunno:

SpaceMonk
10-29-2003, 07:05 PM
You didn't ask. :dunno:
Oh yeah, that's right. I just asked about tires. :( Ah well.

dan
11-10-2003, 02:00 AM

so what did you pay per wheel?

I'm thinking about ordering some RGR's in the special silver paint for mrs' bono's MINI. (17x7's)

The HACK
11-10-2003, 02:15 PM

so what did you pay per wheel?

I'm thinking about ordering some RGR's in the special silver paint for mrs' bono's MINI. (17x7's)

My 18" x 8.5"s were $475 each...Not sure if he'll extend that price to you (I paid CASH and picked up), but mention me and see what he CAN do. I'm sure he'll beat the lowest online prices.

17" x 7"s will probably be significantly cheaper...I won't be surprised if they're around $400 each.

dan
11-10-2003, 02:25 PM
My 18" x 8.5"s were $475 each...Not sure if he'll extend that price to you (I paid CASH and picked up), but mention me and see what he CAN do. I'm sure he'll beat the lowest online prices.

17" x 7"s will probably be significantly cheaper...I won't be surprised if they're around $400 each.
wow, that's a very good price--Tirerack lists those at $575 each. They list the 17x7's for the MINI at $455.

If I could get $400/ea it would be sweet, but like you said, I don't know if that's possible, especially considering I would be special ordering the bright silver finish.

PS--I'm considering coming out for the LA auto show.

:eeps:

The HACK
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
wow, that's a very good price--Tirerack lists those at $575 each. They list the 17x7's for the MINI at $455.

If I could get $400/ea it would be sweet, but like you said, I don't know if that's possible, especially considering I would be special ordering the bright silver finish.

Keep in mind that's sans shipping. The $475 each also included TAX already. Tax and shipping virtually wipe each other out. :(

Are you driving out to the auto show? If so you can probably carry them back with ya. Drop Mike an email or a ring, he's pretty easy going and very nice person.

By the way, if I had wanted the special silver finish or even the silver with polished dish like I posted on 'Fest, I could've gotten them at the same price, except I'd have to wait an additional week to get them.

dan
11-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Keep in mind that's sans shipping. The $475 each also included TAX already. Tax and shipping virtually wipe each other out. :(

Are you driving out to the auto show? If so you can probably carry them back with ya. Drop Mike an email or a ring, he's pretty easy going and very nice person.

By the way, if I had wanted the special silver finish or even the silver with polished dish like I posted on 'Fest, I could've gotten them at the same price, except I'd have to wait an additional week to get them.

Nah, driving would take too long. 1400 miles :(

Hopefully I can find a $170-$200 flight and just come out for a day or two. Southwest or American usually comes out with something in that range every few weeks.

I'll let all the LA folks know if I come out, of course.

scottn2retro
11-10-2003, 03:00 PM
TD, if you could make due with plain RK's, I thought Tire Rack had those on clearance or special. It's a price on their site, so you could use that to get better quotes elsewhere.

The HACK
11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Nah, driving would take too long. 1400 miles :(

Hopefully I can find a $170-$200 flight and just come out for a day or two. Southwest or American usually comes out with something in that range every few weeks.

I'll let all the LA folks know if I come out, of course.

:thumbup:

Awesome, we'll take you out for a drink or something. Unless there's an U2 concert going on in Pasadena or something.

operknockity
11-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Cool. I'm sure we can find some good watering holes to your liking!