PDA

View Full Version : Civic crash

rumatt
03-11-2005, 09:09 PM
For the non-festers:

Not what I need to see before my first school. :cry:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90704

The poor guy saw it coming and started screaming. It didn't look like he did anything that horrific either.

zach
03-11-2005, 09:26 PM
For the non-festers:

Now what I need to see before my first school. :cry:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90704

The poor guy saw it coming and started screaming. It didn't look like he did anything that horrific either.

Be prepared for holier than thou "upgrade the driver" posts. :rolleyes:

bren
03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Looked like a pretty straight bit...just a slight bend.

Driving fast in rain is dumb. :P

rumatt
03-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Well, in some sense that's true. An excellent driver wouldn't have crashed.

The question is: how conservatively does a beginner and/or intermediate driver need to drive to ensure that doesn't happen. He was not driving out of control, by any means.

bren
03-11-2005, 09:39 PM

The question is: how conservatively does a beginner and/or intermediate driver need to drive to ensure that doesn't happen. He was not driving out of control, by any means.
That could have been caused by hitting some sort of fluid on track, or hydroplaining.

I don't believe even the best drivers can recover from any and every situation...sometimes even the best loose control.

zach
03-11-2005, 09:42 PM

That could have been caused by hitting some sort of fluid on track, or hydroplaining.

I don't believe even the best drivers can recover from any and every situation...sometimes even the best loose control.

What are you talking about?

Go take some DE classes.

Kidding, of course.

bren
03-11-2005, 09:47 PM

Go take some DE classes.

Kidding, of course.
Bah...I'm modding the car...to hell with the driver :p

zach
03-11-2005, 09:49 PM

Go take some DE classes.

Kidding, of course.

:devcool:

rumatt
03-11-2005, 09:59 PM

I'm starting to think that's not such a bad approach after all.

Plaz
03-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Looks to me like he just went in too hot, then lifted to compound matters. Not a lot of traction available.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was very familiar with the track, but had never driven it in those conditions. He was probably used to taking that turn even faster than he was trying to in the rain.

rumatt
03-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Looks to me like he just went in too hot, then lifted to compound matters. Not a lot of traction available.

Look at the position of the wheel when he starts to lose it. It's practically straight. He was barely turning.

zach
03-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Look at the position of the wheel when he starts to lose it. It's practically straight. He was barely turning.

Right, but I think he was going too fast.

rumatt
03-11-2005, 10:35 PM

When you're going straight, there's no such thing as too fast. :devcool:

zach
03-11-2005, 10:41 PM

When you're going straight, there's no such thing as too fast. :devcool:

Right, but if you goose the gas while turning the wheel even a little bit, you can induce oversteer.

rumatt
03-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I also think he was turning more than it may seem. Earlier in the video when he's on a straight stretch, you can see the true straight position of the wheel.

nate
03-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Honestly, there was no reason for that accident.

It looks like an uphill section, though there may have been a bit of a crest at that cross path. The driver abruptly lifted off the throttle in a slight high speed bend while the car was unloaded. I doubt he needed to slow down in that turn, probably just a bit skiddish.

Hope he is ok.

Doug
03-11-2005, 11:35 PM
He's in a sweeping right hander, slight uphil. He lifts and the rear unloads.
It's raining. Car spins, he tries to recover but is too late and too much input, he was already just a passenger at that point. With novices, in the rain, we hold track speed down to around 50.

The guys not a great driver and I'd doubt he knows the track. His hands are too busy throughout. He turns in too early in the first turn which requires him to add input to get to apex, this is when he makes the first correction. Now he was also too close inside at turn in, should have been farther outside and accellerated too fast. In order to get through this series you would have to set up right at the start (before the vid) He screwed up early and never got back on line.

Bottomline: too fast for conditions and DON'T LIFT. If he stayed on it he would have made that corner then could have slowed in the straight afterword the uphil would have helped slow.

RUMATT: Just take it easy your first few times out. Your instructor should keep you at a safe speed. It's a blast, stay within your limits and you'll do fine.

ayn
03-11-2005, 11:50 PM
WTF did he lift? and so abruptly! There was absolutely no need for that from what I can tell, and he was going uphill. Lifting in the rain is brain dead stoopid!