PDA

View Full Version : My wife wants a MINI.

ARCHER
10-28-2003, 05:10 PM
We watched The Italian Job Saturday night and now she is asking a lot of questions about the little buggers.

Now there's a family car if ever I saw one! :lol:

dan
10-28-2003, 05:13 PM
:smile:

TD
10-28-2003, 05:19 PM
We watched The Italian Job Saturday night and now she is asking a lot of questions about the little buggers.

I need to go drive one.

I have thought of getting one as a commuter. But that would mean selling the M3/4.

zach
10-28-2003, 05:21 PM

I need to go drive one.

I have thought of getting one as a commuter. But that would mean selling the M3/4.

I've thought of doing the same thing. I commute 100 miles per day. I'm putting a lot of miles on an oldish car that is about to go out of warranty. I think I've gotten used to the power of the M3 though, and I don't think I would enjoy the Mini as much.

TD
10-28-2003, 05:24 PM

I need to go drive one.

I've thought of doing the same thing. I commute 100 miles per day. I'm putting a lot of miles on an oldish car that is about to go out of warranty. I think I've gotten used to the power of the M3 though, and I don't think I would enjoy the Mini as much.

I think the power to weight ratio on the Mini (Cooper S) will make it quick, but not nearly as fast as our cars. However, I think the lightness and nimbleness would go a long way to offsetting any speed disparity in terms of overall driving enjoyment. In other words, it might not be as fast, but it would be just as fun.

JST
10-28-2003, 05:24 PM

I need to go drive one.

Believe it or not, after driving one you might be OK with that. The things drive like a 3/4 scale M3. They're not fast, particularly, but the Cooper S has enough grunt to get out of its own way. Fortunately, they don't have enough power to make torque steer an issue.

The Cooper S is one of the few cars I've ever driven that actually made me giggle the whole time I was doing the test drive (the other was the first time I drove a Miata). It drives like a roller skate. I came this close >< to enduring the wait, but decided to go with the GTI instead because it was bigger, cheaper and sitting on the lot.

ARCHER
10-28-2003, 05:26 PM
I need to go drive one.

I have been dying to drive a CS.

The problem is that it would have to be a third car, and if I buy a third, it will be something with utility (i.e. a beater Tacoma).

TD
10-28-2003, 05:30 PM
I need to go drive one.

I have been dying to drive a CS.

The problem is that it would have to be a third car, and if I buy a third, it will be something with utility (i.e. a beater Tacoma).

Or a Saab Aero wagon? :P

zach
10-28-2003, 05:30 PM
I think the power to weight ratio on the Mini (Cooper S) will make it quick, but not nearly as fast as our cars. However, I think the lightness and nimbleness would go a long way to offsetting any speed disparity in terms of overall driving enjoyment. In other words, it might not be as fast, but it would be just as fun.

I'll have to try it out. I'd also be giving up what little utility I gained by buying a four-door M3. Unlike some people, we don't have a station wagon to make up for the Mini's lack of space. ;)

We are in the market for a second car though, and hopefully I can convince the female that she wants one. I have a feeling that if we got one, I'd be the one driving it though, as she LOVES the M3. :dunno:

TD
10-28-2003, 05:33 PM

I'll have to try it out. I'd also be giving up what little utility I gained by buying a four-door M3. Unlike some people, we don't have a station wagon to make up for the Mini's lack of space. ;)

We are in the market for a second car though, and hopefully I can convince the female that she wants one. I have a feeling that if we got one, I'd be the one driving it though, as she LOVES the M3. :dunno:

My wife loved my car unlike I went "one mod too far" in her opinion.

She now thinks it's too hard to drive around town in traffic with two kids in the back seat. You really do have to concentrate a bit more in order to drive it smoothly and the ride is a good bit harsher than stock. The flywheel chatter is only icing on the cake.

SCA
10-28-2003, 05:42 PM
I drove a MCS again back in August and after wanting one on and off for the last year (after my 1st Test Drive when they first came out) I decided it is just too small of a car. It is a really fun car though, but the size is the sole reason I got rid of my 99 Z3 2.3, otherwise I'd still have it. Both are fine cars, but more as a 2nd or 3rd car. For me it just can't fill the job as a daily driver.

ARCHER
10-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Or a Saab Aero wagon? :P

Actually, I really like your choice. It would be high on my list if I was in the market today.

What I need is a ratty pickup to haul stuff – stuff you definitely wouldn't want in the Saab. My ex-Tacoma got a lot of use and I miss it.

dan
10-28-2003, 05:53 PM
The only complaint about the MCS is that it is really sluggish off the line. There have been rumors after rumors about a software fix for the "stumble", but as of yet the update does not exist.

Once you are up to speed, however, the MINI S is really a lot of fun. And economical to boot!

ARCHER
10-28-2003, 05:55 PM
My wife loved my car unlike I went "one mod too far" in her opinion.

The flywheel, I take it.

I thought about doing it but to be honest, I think the chatter would drive me nuts. Pronounced rattles and such really annoy me.

ARCHER
10-28-2003, 05:59 PM
The only complaint about the MCS is that it is really sluggish off the line. There have been rumors after rumors about a software fix for the "stumble", but as of yet the update does not exist.

Once you are up to speed, however, the MINI S is really a lot of fun. And economical to boot!

I had not heard of the "stumble." Then again, I have not looked at them closely.

I can't help but smile every time I see one. They just scream "FUN!"

clyde
10-28-2003, 06:04 PM
If I had to place odds, I'd say that there's a 25% chance that I will have (or be waiting on delivery of) an MCS by next spring. And there's ~15% chance of something with an ///M finding its way into my name. ~5% something else German that starts with a "P" and ~5% something else weird. Gonna be an interesting winter.

ARCHER
10-28-2003, 06:09 PM
And there's ~15% chance of something with an ///M finding its way into my name.

Judging by the rest of the choices, I'd say you are looking at M Coupes, no?

I would drive "the shoe" in a heartbeat.

clyde
10-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Judging by the rest of the choices, I'd say you are looking at M Coupes, no?

I would drive "the shoe" in a heartbeat.

I would too. My wife has other ideas :cry: Must have a back seat (even if not usable by humans...hence the P car possibility). That is why Corvettes aren't on the list either.

dan
10-28-2003, 06:21 PM
TD will be happy to know that the MINI can be ordered without DSC and with manual AC controls. :smile:

Oh, and cloth seats too :smile:

(ASC is standard though) :evil:

ayn
10-28-2003, 06:30 PM
And they will come with rear fog lights... :) I just installed the rear fog switch panel last night... :D

for those who's never driven a Cooper or Cooper S, u really should!

and like i said before, it has more "utility" than my e46... think of it as a sedan without a trunk, or a wagon without backseats...

--Andrew

zach
10-28-2003, 08:35 PM
If we go the small, fun car route, I will look at the Saab 9-2 as well.

zach
10-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Here's the 9-2x

http://www2.saabusa.com/92x/images/92xHiRes.jpg

lemming
10-28-2003, 08:57 PM
great time to buy cars.

i like the saab 9-2x, also.

although, it helps that it would likely be a GMS purchase....otherwise, am not sure i'd pay the premium over a WRX unless the interior is a quantum better.

zach
10-28-2003, 09:00 PM
great time to buy cars.

i like the saab 9-2x, also.

although, it helps that it would likely be a GMS purchase....otherwise, am not sure i'd pay the premium over a WRX unless the interior is a quantum better.

I love Saab interiors. I'll bet it's a huge step in the right direction. I am VERY anxious for this car.

-Hatchback = lots of room
-Fast
-AWD
-Relatively inexpensive

:D