PDA

View Full Version : ZBB Joins the Waffler World...

ZBB
02-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Yep... I'm considering cars. We're going test driving tomorrow to look at a bunch of things (my wife also wants to look at a few SUVs for when she replaces the MINI at some point in the next year or so).

On the list for test drives tomorrow are Volvo XC90, VW Touareg, Infiniti FX35 and M35, Mazda RX-8, Audi A3 and A4 Cab, Saab 9-2x, the new Boxster, Chrysler 300C Hemi. The Acura TL would be on the list, but I've already test driven it. We probably won't get to them all...

But I may not get something new. I may keep my 325Ci (extend the warranty and maint plan).

Or get something I found on the way home from work tonight when I stopped by the BMW dealership. They had just gotten in a manual 2003 530i on trade with just under 23k miles, the sport and premium packages, color is "blue water" (a slightly bluish silver) with grey interior. I took it out for a quick test drive and I liked it. But they are asking $45k -- which I know is quite elevated, even for CPO. I'd post a link, but its not on the dealerships website yet...

So what is a fair price for that car? Edmunds says ~$38k for a CPO, but even that is a bit high. I'm seriously considering getting it if I could negotiate it down to the mid 30s. I think it would come down to that or a new TL...

Thoughts?

SARAFIL
02-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Yep... I'm considering cars. We're going test driving tomorrow to look at a bunch of things (my wife also wants to look at a few SUVs for when she replaces the MINI at some point in the next year or so).

On the list for test drives tomorrow are Volvo XC90, VW Touareg, Infiniti FX35 and M35, Mazda RX-8, Audi A3 and A4 Cab, Saab 9-2x, the new Boxster, Chrysler 300C Hemi. The Acura TL would be on the list, but I've already test driven it. We probably won't get to them all...

But I may not get something new. I may keep my 325Ci (extend the warranty and maint plan).

Or get something I found on the way home from work tonight when I stopped by the BMW dealership. They had just gotten in a manual 2003 530i on trade with just under 23k miles, the sport and premium packages, color is "blue water" (a slightly bluish silver) with grey interior. I took it out for a quick test drive and I liked it. But they are asking $45k -- which I know is quite elevated, even for CPO. I'd post a link, but its not on the dealerships website yet...

So what is a fair price for that car? Edmunds says ~$38k for a CPO, but even that is a bit high. I'm seriously considering getting it if I could negotiate it down to the mid 30s. I think it would come down to that or a new TL...

Thoughts?

~$37,000-38,000 is reasonable for a CPO car as described.

Bluewater is a nice color... much more unique than the typical silver, and also more low-key than those flashy shades of blue.

ZBB
02-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks Sarafil... I may try to negotiate them to that range...

ZBB
02-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Well... I now have the 530... So I guess I'm not a true waffler.

Pics to follow...

rumatt
02-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Well... I now have the 530... So I guess I'm not a true waffler.

Whoa! That was an awful long list of cars to end up coming home with the first one! :D

Congrats.

SCA
02-27-2005, 11:52 AM
:needpic:

ZBB
02-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Whoa! That was an awful long list of cars to end up coming home with the first one! :D

Congrats.

Thanks... The SUVs were all for my wife, so they don't count. :D If this particular e39 hadn't been avail, I would have waited a couple more months.

Besides the SUVs, we ended up only testing the M35. Its great car by the way -- very solid, fast enough, cool toys like bluetooth, keyless entry and start, a nice nav with an iDrive-like controller that actually works. I just couldn't see myself paying more than $40k, and a decently optioned M35's are between $44-$48k, and it really needs a stick. But the air conditioned seats were weird -- but probably very nice for our AZ summers.

I also went and sat in the TL again. At the end, decided to go with the e39 (I used to work for BMW and built the I6 engines -- so I have a soft spot for them). The TL is intrigueing -- incredibly well featured for the price. If SH-AWD and the traffic integrated Nav were avail in the next couple months, I may have waited. For now, I can do without NAV (I have a Garmin iQue for when needed on road trips), and with the '03 I can add XM (already ordered), Bluetooth to the e39.

For the SUVs, we tested the FX35, Volvo XC-90 V8, and Touareg V8. I honestly like them all, but that is the wife's decision (and she's very happy with the MINI -- so I don't think she'll be making a change for at least 6 months to a year).

ZBB
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
:needpic:

Alright already :twisted: Here ya go -- finally got a chance to snap a couple shots today (day 13 of ownership, and just after its first bath):

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=627

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=628

So far, its great!!!

lip277
03-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Looks nice.
:thumbup:

rumatt
03-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Shame on you. Where's the 13 day report? How do you like it?

ZBB
03-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Shame on you. Where's the 13 day report? How do you like it?

It's right below the pics ;-)

So far, its great!!!

So far I like:
- Having more power than the 325Ci -- and the 530i seems to be perfectly balanced in the amount of power it has. The 325Ci was pretty good, but slightly sluggish off the line.
- Sat radio input. Had XM in the 325Ci, but it was through a Roady hooked into a Blitzsafe adapter through the CD Changer input, which worked but wasn't too elegant. Went with XM Direct in the 530i, which integrates into the head unit. Nicely done, but it does have a couple minor bugs with the steering wheel buttons -- sometimes it goes back to the previous channel instead of going up), but not really a big deal.
- Qualilty level -- higher level of materials in the interior.
- Steering -- Good to get out of an '01 3er (even with "new new" steering. Just about perfect

Getting used to:
Sport Seats -- didn't have them in the 325Ci. It took a while to find the right position (1 additional axis vs the 325Ci), and the bolsters are much tighter from what I'm used to. But they are very comfortable and supportive.
Larger Size -- Longer and wider than the 3-er, just takes a little getting used to.

Don't Like:
Interior Storage -- limited around the driver, and the sizes are odd. For example, there is no convenient place to keep my parking card for work (credit-card sized). In the 3er, I had the Euro console (to keep the XM Roady in, but it replaced the cupholders), which had a nice business card where I could keep the card. The 5er has a small box that when closed looks like it would work, but isn't deep enough to hold a credit card (but that spot is almost perfect to hold an iPod (but won't close with the iPod in it)
Center Armrest -- the US-spec one has a slot in the middle that is hard plastic (which is replaceble to put a phone). But my elbow always falls right on the plastic. It also doesn't have a storage box underneath. I'll probably replace it the Euro armrest, which is padded all across, and has a storage bin underneath.

Unfortunately, I won't be driving it for a week -- I'm off to Tokyo today...

SCA
03-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Nice! :thumbup: :thumbup: