PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know someone looking for a good first car?

John V
10-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Long shot here - we may be parting ways with our Jetta since I'm contemplating picking something else up to daily drive and I'm running out of space to put cars.

The basics - Black 2002 Jetta 1.8T 5-speed. Owned since new, 163,000 miles but it literally looks brand new on the inside. Exterior is excellent, just minor dings and scrapes. Maintained religiously, and all of the niggling VW stuff has been fixed already. Oil analysis on every oil change since new. New wheels and tires plus a bunch of other new stuff. Safe, fast, 30+MPG in daily driving, comfy, heated seats/mirrors/washer nozzles.

Due for its second timing belt at around 200,000, and will probably want a clutch around then as well.

I'd probably ask $3,000 - any less than that and we'd just give it to our niece for her first car.

Send me a PM if you know anyone looking.

FC
10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Sounds like a nice beater. I'll suggest it to my dad. He may need a commuter instead of driving his F-150 80+ miles a day.

Optimus Prime
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I may be interested. I don't need anything in a hurry, but a "cheap" second car is something I'm keeping my eyes open for. Let me know when/if you get more serious about it.

John V
10-19-2010, 01:24 PM
OP, shoot me an e-mail at john_vitamvas at yahoo dot com. I planned to hold onto it through winter, so I'm not in a huge hurry to sell. But I can give you a lot more details about it over e-mail.

John

John V
01-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Bump. Still for sale. Will get some pictures this weekend. By the time I get home from work it's too dark! :(

John V
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
And... Sold.

BahnBaum
01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
And.... Thank you.

Alex

John V
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Maybe you should drive it before you thank me. :p

(just kidding, it's a great car)

bren
01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
And.... Thank you.

Alex
Wow. Someone got the VAG bug. :p

BahnBaum
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Wow. Someone got the VAG bug. :p

Haha. Coinkydink.

David needed something more reliable then that POS Audi cab he bought from Doby. This was squarely in his price range. ;)

Alex

BahnBaum
01-25-2011, 07:22 PM
By the way, I just sold a car that wouldn't shift out of drive without removing and reinserting the key.

We discovered this issue on the test drive.

In the middle of a 3 pt turn on a busy road.

The dude still couldn't buy it fast enough. And it's amazing how much response you get on craigslist when you throw up a car for a grand that actually starts.

Alex

Nick M3
01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
By the way, I just sold a car that wouldn't shift out of drive without removing and reinserting the key.

We discovered this issue on the test drive.

In the middle of a 3 pt turn on a busy road.

The dude still couldn't buy it fast enough. And it's amazing how much response you get on craigslist when you throw up a car for a grand that actually starts.

Alex
Thank you again for the E30. I'm throwing a whole bunch of maintenance at it, but it'll be a nice driver when I'm done. (The timing belt was cracking and the engine bay fuel hoses were, uh, operating in the fashion of those perforated garden watering hoses... :eek: )

BahnBaum
01-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Thank you again for the E30. I'm throwing a whole bunch of maintenance at it, but it'll be a nice driver when I'm done. (The timing belt was cracking and the engine bay fuel hoses were, uh, operating in the fashion of those perforated garden watering hoses... :eek: )

Glad it went to a good home. Timing belt surprises me, I'd have to check but my guess is that was done 4 years ago (maybe 30k miles ago?). Fuel lines don't surprise me. They're prolly original and the car hadn't moved for prolly 18 months....

Alex

Nick M3
01-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Dunno. The only sticker I could find dates to 2000. Not that it really matters.

BahnBaum
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Dunno. The only sticker I could find dates to 2000. Not that it really matters.

I did two timing belts and water pumps during my ownership. The 2000 job was before my time.

Alex

BahnBaum
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Note to self:

Next time JV has a vehicle for sale, consider again buying it sight unseen.

This car was impeccably maintained and really is a nice driver. Kind of don't want to give it up to the owner. Maybe I could just tell him, "cause I said so."

Alex

John V
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Glad you like it. We take good care of our stuff.

John V
01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
I hear this car has been (re)sold? How did it hold up during David's use, was it OK?

BahnBaum
01-11-2013, 09:24 AM
JV it was a perfect car for him. Other than a timing belt, he did a coolant housing, oil changes and tires.

He traded it in on a BRZ and got a couple grand for it after a nice pre-negotiated deal from a buying service through USAA.

Alex

kognito
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Wait, whut?

your son got a BRZ and we are just now hearing about it?

BahnBaum
01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Wait, whut?

your son got a BRZ and we are just now hearing about it?

Lol. He's all growed up and out of the house.

I did drive it recently, and it was pretty much go-kart like. With one of the best feeling gearboxes in recent memory.

Alex