PDA

View Full Version : Did my 1st

SCA
02-24-2005, 12:17 AM
brake flush today. It was made easy with the Motive brake bleeder.:thumbup:
The toughest part was breaking the right rear bleeder valve loose. That puppy did not want to move. After I finally got it loose everything was good. :smile:

Next...the M Roadster and then maybe the M3.

Rob
02-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I bought a set of flange wrenches when I put SS brake lines on the M3. I have found many uses for them since - soft bleeder valves that get stuck is one of them.

SCA
02-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I bought a set of flange wrenches when I put SS brake lines on the M3. I have found many uses for them since - soft bleeder valves that get stuck is one of them.

Hmm...what does a flange wrench look like? :dunno:

Rob
02-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Hmm. Looks like I used the wrong term. I think I meant flare nut wrench set. It puts pressure on five sides of the bolt instead of two.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SK-378.html

rumatt
02-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Cool. I'll be doing this in about 1 month.

SCA
02-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Hmm. Looks like I used the wrong term. I think I meant flare nut wrench set. It puts pressure on five sides of the bolt instead of two.

Cool...I need them to run smaller. On a E34 the bleeder valve is a 6mm-7mm.

blee
02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
The Motive bleeder is a neat tool, isn't it? :) Though truthfully, it's probably faster to use the old "tighten nut, pump pedal, loosen nut, repeat" trick. It's just a hell of a lot easier to use the bleeder.

SCA
02-24-2005, 02:21 PM
The Motive bleeder is a neat tool, isn't it? :) Though truthfully, it's probably faster to use the old "tighten nut, pump pedal, loosen nut, repeat" trick. It's just a hell of a lot easier to use the bleeder.

That sounds like a PITA to me. ;)

blee
02-24-2005, 02:32 PM

It is. I'll never do it that way again. I'd rather wait 15 minutes for the pump to do its thing than scurry around the car like an idiot for 5. Of course, with a friend (and beer) to help, it's not so bad.

operknockity
02-24-2005, 03:07 PM

A flare nut wrench is essentially a box end wrench with a small chunk taken out of the box end so it can be used to get at nuts which are already in place with lines coming out of both sides of the nut. An open ended wrench can be used but too much force will round off the nut.

If you find a set or an individual wrench that goes that small, give a yell! A while back I did a web search of the various on-line tool sources and could find a 7mm, but when I finally went to order it, nobody stocked them any more. And we can't even find them that small in the Snap-On catalog!

operknockity
02-24-2005, 03:09 PM

It is. I'll never do it that way again. I'd rather wait 15 minutes for the pump to do its thing than scurry around the car like an idiot for 5. Of course, with a friend (and beer) to help, it's not so bad.
With one person on the bleeder valve, one on the pedal and one on the resevoir, you can get a pretty good beat going.....

Rob
02-24-2005, 03:37 PM

A flare nut wrench is essentially a box end wrench with a small chunk taken out of the box end so it can be used to get at nuts which are already in place with lines coming out of both sides of the nut. An open ended wrench can be used but too much force will round off the nut.

If you find a set or an individual wrench that goes that small, give a yell! A while back I did a web search of the various on-line tool sources and could find a 7mm, but when I finally went to order it, nobody stocked them any more. And we can't even find them that small in the Snap-On catalog!

You know, now that you mention it . . . I use a box end for the bleed valve. My flare set goes to 9mm. Sorry for the misinformation - it's been awhile since I played with the brakes. On top of the price for brake parts thing, I am not doing well lately.

operknockity
02-24-2005, 04:15 PM

You know, now that you mention it . . . I use a box end for the bleed valve. My flare set goes to 9mm. Sorry for the misinformation - it's been awhile since I played with the brakes. On top of the price for brake parts thing, I am not doing well lately.
My flare set (Sears Craftsman) only goes down to 9mm as well, which is fine for the brake bleeder valves on my E46. But the clutch bleeder valve is a 7mm so I have had to use an open ended wrench for that one.