PDA

View Full Version : Test Drove a 330i ZHP yesterday.

SCA
10-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Same thing we've all heard before. A throatier exhaust, a noticeable difference judged by the old butt dyno, throttle response is much improved especiallywhen compared to my 01 330Ci, the short shifter didn't appear any shorter than my car, but it did have a slightly firmer feel, the car felt firmer (stiffer), and very well planted in the twisties. I didn't care for the steering wheel (not the thickness, but the material), I really like the cosmetic changes, interior and especially the exterior. This car had CWP (fold-downs, Boo!), and leather. Sticker was $43K.

When I got back in my car it did feel a tad slower. It seems to have less lower end torque. My car rides smoother and feels more like a Lexus when comared to the ZHP, it is definitely not as firm and I could tell the difference between the exhaust. I wish mine was throatier. Basically I wish my car was a ZHP and if I had money to blow I would have placed an order for one yesterday, but unfortunately I don't. :cry:

dan
10-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Basically I wish my car was a ZHP and if I had money to blow I would have placed an order for one yesterday, but unfortunately I don't. :cry:

why don't you just sell both of your cars and buy one?

SARAFIL
10-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Basically I wish my car was a ZHP and if I had money to blow I would have placed an order for one yesterday, but unfortunately I don't. :cry:

^^What he said...

zach
10-26-2003, 04:27 PM
If I was in the market for a 330i with ZHP (which I'm not), I would save a few more $s and pony up for a very slightly used e46 M3. :paranoid:

SARAFIL
10-26-2003, 08:48 PM
If I was in the market for a 330i with ZHP (which I'm not), I would save a few more $s and pony up for a very slightly used e46 M3. :paranoid:

You're forgetting that many people that buy a ZHP do so because they want a fun car but need 4 doors. While the back seat is nearly the same size, having those two extra doors makes the car much more useful for many people.

Oh, and you can't get Cloth/Alcantara on a US-spec M3. :twisted:

zach
10-26-2003, 08:50 PM

You're forgetting that many people that buy a ZHP do so because they want a fun car but need 4 doors. While the back seat is nearly the same size, having those two extra doors makes the car much more useful for many people.

Oh, I thought everyone had the same car requirements as me.

Let me know when the black one is available... :D

SARAFIL
10-26-2003, 08:54 PM

Not for a while! A number of our salespeople had brought the car to our service department for a CPO inspection on several occasions this week (without authorization to do so). After seeing the key show up on my desk several times after the service department rightfully rejected the car, I decided to hide the car off site until we're ready for it. I'm assuming they're all anxious to show the car to clients, but we still have a list of off-lease cars to purchase that are higher on our list of priorities.

Probably won't be on the front line for another couple of weeks.

zach
10-26-2003, 08:56 PM

Not for a while!

Darn.

Any others? :D

SARAFIL
10-26-2003, 09:04 PM

Not for a while!

Darn.

Any others? :D

Just the '03 Carbon Black/Red Convertible, which we also are waiting to obtain.

dan
10-26-2003, 09:16 PM

but you can get leather/alcantara :P

nate
10-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Get some Bilstiens and your car will be stiffer than a ZHP...

Keith
10-26-2003, 10:01 PM

NO, NO Sean, NEVER get rid of the E34 :thumbup: you would regret it!

SCA
10-27-2003, 10:12 AM

That won't even touch the amount of cash I'll need, esp. w/ taxes.

lemming
10-27-2003, 11:43 AM
i agree that the ZHP is a terrific car. that BMW put this package together speaks volumes about their knowledge of the "enthusiast" base.

but.......

.......time moves on. and the standard constantly moves to the right. if you are already that 'deep' into your cars and depreciation, just wait. then you'll be out of the steepest part of the depreciation on the 01 E46.

and by then, the E90 would be here, you skip the massive depreciation that will accompany a whole new model change, and you'll likely get base engines in the E90 that outperfom the ZHP engine.

it's just the way of it.

it's just my own opinion to your situation. waiting won't hurt; it's fine to have wanderlust, but as time always shows cars just keep getting better, like computers. nothing like enjoying what you have now and then when you're really ready, you'll be a great car THEN.

glaws
11-01-2003, 01:26 PM

I just went to edmonds.com and my 2002 M3 priced out at about $44,000 at a dealer. But then my car is a "stripper" M3 and you might not find too many of those.

Nick M3
11-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm with Nate on this one... The ZHP package offers very little (interior aside) that a couple thousand dollars couldn't fix in a 330. Intake+Exhaust+Konis (and springs if you really want improvement) are not all that expensive and would make a HUGE difference in the way the car feels.

I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by the ZHP.

nate
11-01-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm with Nate on this one... The ZHP package offers very little (interior aside) that a couple thousand dollars couldn't fix in a 330. Intake+Exhaust+Konis (and springs if you really want improvement) are not all that expensive and would make a HUGE difference in the way the car feels.

I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by the ZHP.We agree quite a bit...You're right.

I don't understand Sean very often. Easy to make your car handle and feel MUCH better, complaining isn't going to get you anywhere. :dunno:

I have not driven a ZHP, but I doubt it handles better than my car. I like the feel now very much, despite the lack of power. Upgraded sways and the 328Ci will be excellent, I think..

SCA
11-01-2003, 03:49 PM
I don't understand Sean very often. Easy to make your car handle and feel MUCH better, complaining isn't going to get you anywhere. :dunno:

I have not driven a ZHP, but I doubt it handles better than my car. I like the feel now very much, despite the lack of power..

I don't understand myself these days :? , but none the less it did perform better than my bone stock 330Ci. My BMW salesman and family friend agreed when compared to his 03 330i SP demo.

nate
11-01-2003, 05:20 PM

I have not driven a ZHP, but I doubt it handles better than my car. I like the feel now very much, despite the lack of power..

I don't understand myself these days :? , but none the less it did perform better than my bone stock 330Ci. My BMW salesman and family friend agreed when compared to his 03 330i SP demo.

Not a suprise.

Why not spend <$1K and make your car handle much better? More effective than dreaming of an expensive new car...

SCA
11-01-2003, 08:09 PM

Not a suprise.

Why not spend <$1K and make your car handle much better? More effective than dreaming of an expensive new car...

I don't have the money for either.

SARAFIL
11-01-2003, 09:31 PM

I'm sure the 525 is worth at least $1000. :tongue:

SCA
11-02-2003, 05:14 PM

Have at least $1,000 worth of parts for it.

SARAFIL
11-02-2003, 07:14 PM

Have at least $1,000 worth of parts for it.

Ok, so stretch a bit and ask $2,000 for the car ;) It's not like you have to worry about the 330 dying any time soon with the outrageously low mileage you have on it. Put some money in to modding it, then drive it and get your moneys worth. Some day when you go to sell it, you'll end up with an insane dollar per mile cost, since the car doesn't hold its value much better than normal with the low mileage you have on it.

lemming
11-02-2003, 08:25 PM
could always donate the 525i to charity and get a lot more bang for your buck that way for it.