PDA

View Full Version : The wagon that could end all wagon waffling...

FC
02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
According to this (old artcle)...

http://www.germancarfans.com/news_preview.cfm/newsid/2041216.002/mercedes/1.html

...There could soon (2007?) be an E320 CDi 4Matic wagon. The new compact V6 diesel will finally clear enough room for 4-matic.

The new engine is also lighter and produces 376 lb-ft at 1600rpm :shock: , while getting even more fuel efficiency.

Um, yeah, I'd buy that. 700+ miles to a single tank while getting more low end torque than a corvette in a huge, AWD wagon full of comfort/luxury and rock-steady high speed cruising? I'll take one.

As soon as they announce it, I'll do all necessary lobbying to reserve one of them for European delivery. It would be worth it. Fuck it, I'd pay the extra $2K and get a 6-year/100K warranty or whatever MB offers.

zach
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
According to this (old artcle)...

http://www.germancarfans.com/news_preview.cfm/newsid/2041216.002/mercedes/1.html

...There could soon (2007?) be an E320 CDi 4Matic wagon. The new compact V6 diesel will finally clear enough room for 4-matic.

The new engine is also lighter and produces 376 lb-ft at 1600rpm :shock: , while getting even more fuel efficiency.

Um, yeah, I'd buy that. 700+ miles to a single tank while getting more low end torque than a corvette in a huge, AWD wagon full of comfort/luxury and rock-steady high speed cruising? I'll take one.

As soon as they announce it, I'll do all necessary lobbying to reserve one of them for European delivery. It would be worth it. Fuck it, I'd pay the extra $2K and get a 6-year/100K warranty or whatever MB offers.

Plus, diesel engines smell good.

FC
02-08-2005, 03:20 PM

:? :D

I'm not a fan of smelling any kind of fuel, but that is just me. Diesel doesn't bother me any more than gasoline.

I guess they're gonna use the new 7-speed automatic on it too.

TD
02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
A diesel slushbox. Be still my beating heart.

(Actually, other than being difficult to find fuel, I don't really have a problem with a diesel. A slushbox on the other hand...)

Roadstergal
02-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Bio-diesel smells good. :smile:

Plus, I've heard good things about the new common-rail diesels - with low-sulfur diesel, the emissions are greatly reduced and they don't stink.

Plaz
02-08-2005, 03:36 PM

:lol:

Caprice Classic wagons had a good amount of torque too, didn't they?

FC
02-08-2005, 03:36 PM

(Actually, other than being difficult to find fuel, I don't really have a problem with a diesel. A slushbox on the other hand...)

It would not be MY daily driver. I don't mind a slushy in a family/trip car.

I had a diesel before, and while true that there are some stations that don't carry diesel, more than enough do around here, and just about all stations off highways offer it.

FC
02-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Caprice Classic wagons had a good amount of torque too, didn't they?

So do Caterpillar machines. :?

With slushy transmissions operating between 1500-3000rpms, having your peak torque (especially almost 400lb-ft) in that range makes for effortless driving.

TD
02-08-2005, 03:38 PM
At times like this, I am thankful my wife refuses to drive an automatic.

I've been stuck in a slushbox (POS) rental for the past 2 weeks and I am on the verge of losing it.

FC
02-08-2005, 03:41 PM
At times like this, I am thankful my wife refuses to drive an automatic.

I've been stuck in a slushbox (POS) rental for the past 2 weeks and I am on the verge of losing it.

Well, even I, by now would go nuts driving ONLY an automatic for a couple of weeks. But one drive here and there doesn't bother me.

And again, most sushies keep revs WAY too low if left to themselves, and few cars generate proper torque/power that low.

ff
02-08-2005, 04:37 PM

lemming
02-08-2005, 06:25 PM
are you going to spring for the $50-55k that the wagon is going to cost?

good lord. that is a lot of money for a non-primary driving vehicle whose sole purpose in life is to haul things every so often.

Nick M3
02-08-2005, 06:49 PM

good lord. that is a lot of money for a non-primary driving vehicle whose sole purpose in life is to haul things every so often.

IIRC, it's a fair bit more than that. :p

lemming
02-08-2005, 07:21 PM

there is that carmudgeon adage: "none of us have a clue for specs with regard to cars that we have zero to little interest in"

--i don't follow MB's in general except the SL's ('cause they're pretty) so i have no idea how the E class is priced but i only know that it's mroe than the e60s.

:D

FC
02-08-2005, 08:15 PM

there is that carmudgeon adage: "none of us have a clue for specs with regard to cars that we have zero to little interest in"

--i don't follow MB's in general except the SL's ('cause they're pretty) so i have no idea how the E class is priced but i only know that it's mroe than the e60s.

It would likely be close to 60K out the door. Yeah it is a lot of money. :( It is still cheaper than an E500, but that is not saying much. IF we were to get one, we'd have to like it enough to keep it forever, which is very possible. So if we keep the wagon for say 10 years, it doesn't become SO expensive.

Laugh all you want, but I'll say this: I loved the E320 wagon back in 1995 and I was still considering getting one a few weeks back (only their history scared me). And BECAUSE it would not be driven into the ground it should be in excellent shape then. If it gets replaced any earlier it would be because we can afford to be VERY picky. Hard to imagine any other wagon coming out that would make us regret getting this particular one. It has everything we could want.

But no doubt, it would be a LOT of money. You guys don't have to understand why teh wagon is so appealing. Just pretend this were the most appealing wagon to you, then continue with your logic.

Of course, we'd have to not have bought a wagon yet if we were to buy this wagon.

It is still all just speculation and dreaming.

lemming
02-08-2005, 08:28 PM

It would likely be close to 60K out the door. Yeah it is a lot of money. :( It is still cheaper than an E500, but that is not saying much. IF we were to get one, we'd have to like iy enough to keep it forever, which is very possible. So if we keep the wagon for say 10 years, it doesn't become SO expensive.

Laugh all you want, but I'll say this: I loved the E320 wagon back in 1995 and I was still just considering getting one. And BECAUSE it would not be driven into the ground it should be in excellent shape then. If it gets replaced any earlier it would be because we can afford to be VERY picky. Hard to imagine any other wagon coming out that would make us regret getting this particular one. It has everything we could want.

But no doubt, it would be a LOT of money. You guys don't have to understand why teh wagon is so appealing. Just pretend this were the most appealing wagon to you, then continue with your logic.

Of course, we'd have to not have bought a wagon yet if we were to buy this wagon.

It is still all just speculation and dreaming.

i understand the appeal.

the 4matic wagon is nice enough. it's just funny for us to watch you point out a >50k wagon when you're waffling about a 10k taurus wagon or something along those lines.

the only e wagon i'd want to own is the e500. other ones are too pokey.

FC
02-08-2005, 08:37 PM
i understand the appeal.

the 4matic wagon is nice enough. it's just funny for us to watch you point out a >50k wagon when you're waffling about a 10k taurus wagon or something along those lines.

the only e wagon i'd want to own is the e500. other ones are too pokey.

Well, the difference is that the EARLIEST this wagon would be available is 2007 (due to fuel availability in MA). That is at least two years out and our situation will be very different then. MBUSA may never offer it or they may do so in 2010. Who knows? But if we are debt-free, and need a wagon when it is available, it would get a serious look. Again, it would HAVE to be a long-term keeper for us to consider it new.

lip277
02-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Maybe we should get going on MBR's 15-year plan.... To heck with 5 years....... :lol: :lol: