PDA

View Full Version : Made a decision (finally) on the 190E and what wagon to get.

FC
02-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Well, after attempting to pull the head out of the 190E I was rudely awoken to the fact that I lack the necessary tools to tackle such a job. And given my inexperience in performing some necessary tasks (coolant flush, etc) I am asking for trouble and screwing up something along the way. Not that I cannot do these things, but it just takes much more time the first timeyou do them. Like a brake job, It's a piece of cake, but when you try it for the first time, you need to take your time.

SO... The plan is, I'm going to drive the car onto my dad's car dolly, and tow it to his business where his two permanent mechanics and I will tackle the head gasket job ($50 for the gasket plus maybe another $80 to shave the head). If it all works out, then great. If we fuck it up, who cares? ...the car was done anyway. I'll take a <$200 gamble on maybe getting my benz running for another year.

As far as wagons... we've norrowed it down to two wagons for when we're ready to buy (as early as the Fall of '05). A certified pre-owned W210 MB E320W 4-matic (~$32K this fall), or a new LL Bean Outback (~32K new). That MB wagon is fucking enormous. It rocks.

OT.... while waiting to test drive an E39T, they had a MINI Cooper S in the showroom, and now the wife wants one. I've NEVER seen her with such a smile in her face re: cars. She just drooled over it. Maybe a 5-year anniversary gift (a used one of course!).

bren
02-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Way to keep that 5 year plan alive :D

FC
02-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Way to keep that 5 year plan alive :D

:slap:

The 5-year plan is for my Boxster/C06/Elise/whetever sportscar that will replace my 330i IF that happens. The possibility of a used Mini is not mature in any way. :D

clyde
02-07-2005, 10:16 AM
The possibility of a used Mini is not mature in any way. :D

WTF?! you talking about, Willis?

They aren't expensive new. They're a total fucking blast to drive. It's just the two of you for the forseeable future (even if you get lucky tonight, you've still got until near the end of the year before mbrjr makes an appearence). The cars get great mileage. Put all seasons or snows on one and you won't get stuck anywhere in the snow. They retain their value so well, that if you feel like you have to sell because a kid is on the way late this year, you aren't going to take a bath (more like a hand washing with no soap if you buy used ot begin with). Did I mention that they're a blast to drive?

What's not mature is buying a big ass car or wagon because you think that you *might* need the utility of it at a later point in time, unless that's the vehicle that you really want now because it's what you want.

TD
02-07-2005, 10:21 AM
For the first time in a while, I agree with Clyde. Unless you plan on popping out offspring in the immediate future, it makes sense to shelve the wagon idea until you need it and get the Mini now.

Why are you so eager to get a wagon? I appreciate ours, but if we didn't have two kids, you can rest assured we would not own it. And your wife showed an interest in the Mini. Are you dense? That kind of interest should be encouraged. Making an enthusiast out of your wife (meaning, getting her to appreciate that a car is more than just transportation) is a worthwhile long-term investment.

I don't get it.

SCA
02-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Sounds like a plan...

My 5 year plan is to hope that I still have a car. I highly doubt that Old Whitey (E34) will be running 5 years from now. I would be really surprised if it makes it until the end of this year. At that time I will be SOL and walking.

ZBB
02-07-2005, 10:29 AM
OT.... while waiting to test drive an E39T, they had a MINI Cooper S in the showroom, and now the wife wants one. I've NEVER seen her with such a smile in her face re: cars. She just drooled over it. Maybe a 5-year anniversary gift (a used one of course!).

You will end up with a MINI in the near future... My wife had that same grin on her face when we test drove the MINIs the first month they were on sale in the US. Deposit was down less than a week after the test drive, and her MINI now has ~33k very enjoyable miles.

lemming
02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
i'd skip the new outback and get the CPO'd MB or a CPO'd outback.

no sense is buying new unless you're some sort of freak, the depreciation just isn't worth it on the subarus.

i like your plan, though.

rumatt
02-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Ad me to the list of those who don't understand why you would fork over big money for a wagon you don't even need.

Don't buy the new outback.

bren
02-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Ad me to the list of those who don't understand why you would fork over big money for a wagon you don't even need.

FC
02-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Shit, I go to a meeting, and this is what happens?

Anyhow... I'll go into more detail since it appears to be needed.

Right now, we technically only need one car. I just refuse to beat the shit out of my 330i in the winters and put 30K miles per year, so if I can get my 190E to run for cheap I will. That is now.

We hope to have a kid in the 2nd half of 2006 (roughly, but who the hell knows?), so, I (we) figured, ok, winter is almost over, so we'll just deal with it. But before next winter comes, It would be nice to have an AWD wagon so we have ONE versitile/roomy vehicle to: get through the winter in AWD, save miles on the BMW, have cargo space for trips to montreal, and most importantly, be ready for the kid. I don't see how that doesn't make sense. We may well get through the next winter with the 330i and 190E.

Now, that my wife liked the Cooper S, and that she didn't mind (and actualy welcomed) my warnings about its very sporty attitude, stiff suspension and buzzy engine is nothing but incredible. But a mini will not replace a wagon, nor will it be a place holder until we get one.

If anything, I may trade my 330i for a Cooper S and hold out until I can add a sports car. But we have not discussed it yet. And franly, I rather have my 330i than the Cooper. My wife would agree. I'm not willing to basically do an even swap for them.

But I have no problems whatsoever seeing a MINI in our garage.

rumatt
02-07-2005, 11:24 AM
We hope to have a kid in the 2nd half of 2006 (roughly, but who the hell knows?)

Is this part of the 5 year plan? :D

FC
02-07-2005, 11:26 AM
We hope to have a kid in the 2nd half of 2006 (roughly, but who the hell knows?)

From ~when we got engaged, yes. :twisted:

clyde
02-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Kids don't follow any plan...whether they exist or not.

ZBB
02-07-2005, 01:10 PM
But a mini will not replace a wagon, nor will it be a place holder until we get one.

It has in our house ;-) You'd be surprised how much the MINI can hold... We did a donation run to Goodwill yesterday -- and the MINI held much more than my 325Ci (we had more to donate than would fit in almost anything except a pickup).

By the way -- its amazing how much crap gets put in storage -- we spent the weekend going through boxes, most of which hadn't been opened in years. So far, out of ~50 boxes that got moved and just put in the garage since there was no other place for them, we've had about 8 boxes that we donated to Goodwill, and another 5 boxes of books that we're going to take to a used bookstore to sell. We've also filled at least 6 50 gallon trash bags.

But the effort was worth it -- both cars now fit in the garage!!

FC
02-07-2005, 01:29 PM
But a mini will not replace a wagon, nor will it be a place holder until we get one.

It has in our house ;-) You'd be surprised how much the MINI can hold... We did a donation run to Goodwill yesterday -- and the MINI held much more than my 325Ci (we had more to donate than would fit in almost anything except a pickup).

By the way -- its amazing how much crap gets put in storage -- we spent the weekend going through boxes, most of which hadn't been opened in years. So far, out of ~50 boxes that got moved and just put in the garage since there was no other place for them, we've had about 8 boxes that we donated to Goodwill, and another 5 boxes of books that we're going to take to a used bookstore to sell. We've also filled at least 6 50 gallon trash bags.

But the effort was worth it -- both cars now fit in the garage!!

I don't doubt that with the seats down one can fit a lot of stuff, but a Mini would have to be a 3rd car. Like my commuter/her fun car.

There will be a wagon in our household. There is not enough time between when we are ready to buy a car and when we need a wagon to justify a Mini for those few months.

So eventually, we'll have a wagon, no doubt about that. After that, I need a commuter that can be driven in the winter. Finally, money-permitting, I'd like a sports(ty) car for me like the C6/Boxster/Elise/whatever, and sorry, a Mini doesn't qualify in that company.

So, to me, for the mini to not become a 4th car (which would be ridiculous), it would have to fill the role of the commuter car, which I was assuming would be my (by then older) 330i, or some kind of used AWD sports sedan. I'm open to the Mini maybe becoming that commuter, or if I win the lottery, a 4th car.

ff
02-07-2005, 01:58 PM
They're a total fucking blast to drive.

As long as you are used to, and accept FWD. And don't mind the complete lack of torque down low. And don't mind all the quirky things about the interior.

clyde
02-07-2005, 01:59 PM

As long as you are used to, and accept FWD. And don't mind the complete lack of torque down low. And don't mind all the quirky things about the interior.

ff
02-07-2005, 02:17 PM

I disagree. But that's just one more opinion.

JST
02-07-2005, 02:20 PM

Right now, we technically only need one car. I just refuse to beat the shit out of my 330i in the winters and put 30K miles per year, so if I can get my 190E to run for cheap I will. That is now.

We hope to have a kid in the 2nd half of 2006 (roughly, but who the hell knows?), so, I (we) figured, ok, winter is almost over, so we'll just deal with it. But before next winter comes, It would be nice to have an AWD wagon so we have ONE versitile/roomy vehicle to: get through the winter in AWD, save miles on the BMW, have cargo space for trips to montreal, and most importantly, be ready for the kid. I don't see how that doesn't make sense. We may well get through the next winter with the 330i and 190E.

Now, that my wife liked the Cooper S, and that she didn't mind (and actualy welcomed) my warnings about its very sporty attitude, stiff suspension and buzzy engine is nothing but incredible. But a mini will not replace a wagon, nor will it be a place holder until we get one.

If anything, I may trade my 330i for a Cooper S and hold out until I can add a sports car. But we have not discussed it yet. And franly, I rather have my 330i than the Cooper. My wife would agree. I'm not willing to basically do an even swap for them.

I've never understood the concept of saving miles on a car. You bought the BMW to drive, right? Why not drive it? Why not throw a set of snow tires on it and take it to Montreal? Why not let the BMW be your "big" car? With two people, I've never come close to filling up even a coupe on a long trip, and that's with the space saver spare in the trunk. For big or weird size items, drive the Mini. If I had a four-door as my other car, I would not have gotten the WRX S/W, e.g.

Add me to the list of people that think you should suck it up and get the Mini now. Save the wagon crap for when you actually need one--there'll be plenty of time for middle-age later. Have your mid-life crisis now, while you can still enjoy it.

lemming
02-07-2005, 02:47 PM

I've never understood the concept of saving miles on a car. You bought the BMW to drive, right? Why not drive it? Why not throw a set of snow tires on it and take it to Montreal? Why not let the BMW be your "big" car? With two people, I've never come close to filling up even a coupe on a long trip, and that's with the space saver spare in the trunk. For big or weird size items, drive the Mini. If I had a four-door as my other car, I would not have gotten the WRX S/W, e.g.

Add me to the list of people that think you should suck it up and get the Mini now. Save the wagon crap for when you actually need one--there'll be plenty of time for middle-age later. Have your mid-life crisis now, while you can still enjoy it.

absolutely. to paragraph 1 and to paragraph 2.

FC
02-07-2005, 03:01 PM

absolutely. to paragraph 1 and to paragraph 2.

I do have snow tires on the 330i. And I do take it to Montreal (in winter and summer). My wife, however, is fond of routinely transporting stuff (other than luggage) back and forth.

I'll save the miles on the 330i if I can get my (free) 190E to run. Otherwise I will drive the 330i. And if it DOES seem silly to buy the wagon next fall, then I will just drive the 330i until we have a kid and then get the wagon. I just don't see why we should get the Mini, other than as a fun 2nd car for the wife.

And as much as I'd like to treat her to one (or should I say, allow her to treat herself to one), the truth is she rarely drives and we have debt I rather clear up before taking on anpther payment for a "frivolous" expense.

Rob
02-07-2005, 04:02 PM
You're nuts. You are also going to be buying a MINI soon. You may as well buy a new one, too. You aren't going to get that much of a price break on a used one. Unless you can find a private seller and save sales tax.

FC
02-07-2005, 04:10 PM
You're nuts. You are also going to be buying a MINI soon. You may as well buy a new one, too. You aren't going to get that much of a price break on a used one. Unless you can find a private seller and save sales tax.

I know I'm nuts, but you people are even MORE nuts. Nobody is arguing that an E320 wagon or an outback are more fun than a mini. THAT would be nuts.

Regardless, I agree, if we buy a mini, we buy it new. Now of course, comes the interesting part...

I sent my wife the link to have her configure her own mini... She configured a Cooper S cabrio to the tune of 28K :shock:

So say we get a Mini (which by the way is not happening probably until next spring, given that it's a cabrio), then what? We add a wagon 6 months later as a third car when the kid arrives? Or worse, trade my 330i for the wagon? I don't like any of those scenarios.

I certainy do appreciate the theory of "who knows if we can get pregnant when we want to?" It may take 2 years to finally get pregnant. Meanwhile we drove a big wagon for 3 years for "no reason." We may never get pregnant. No one knows.

I welcome all suggestions and opinions, but mark this down, WE ARE NOT BUYING A CAR UNTIL AT LEAST THE FALL OF 2005.

TD
02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Why on earth does planning to have ONE kid over a year from now mean you need a LARGE wagon NOW? IMO, a 330i is plenty large enough for one kid. We got by just fine with our E36s when we had just one kid. It was only the second kid that pushed us over the edge into feeling that a larger vehicle might make life easier (and a larger sedan would have worked just as well for 99% of what we use the wagon for).

At the absolute earliest, you are 2-3 years away from actually NEEDING a wagon. So why rush it.

Go buy a Mini. Have the Mini and the 330i until you actually NEED the wagon. Then decide which one goes in order to get the wagon. Simple.

TD
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM

I know I'm nuts, but you people are even MORE nuts. Nobody is arguing that an E320 wagon or an outback are more fun than a mini. THAT would be nuts.

Regardless, I agree, if we buy a mini, we buy it new. Now of course, comes the interesting part...

I sent my wife the link to have her configure her own mini... She configured a Cooper S cabrio to the tune of 28K :shock:

So say we get a Mini (which by the way is not happening probably until next spring, given that it's a cabrio), then what? We add a wagon 6 months later as a third car when the kid arrives? Or worse, trade my 330i for the wagon? I don't like any of those scenarios.

I certainy do appreciate the theory of "who knows if we can get pregnant when we want to?" It may take 2 years to finally get pregnant. Meanwhile we drove a big wagon for 3 years for "no reason." We may never get pregnant. No one knows.

I welcome all suggestions and opinions, but mark this down, WE ARE NOT BUYING A CAR UNTIL AT LEAST THE FALL OF 2005.

I will say it again (as a parent), you absolutely do not need a vehicle larger than your 330i for just one kid. In fact, we once test-fitted a car seat into the back of a Cooper S and it fits just fine (ask JST - he was there).

I'm serious.

FC
02-07-2005, 04:22 PM

I will say it again (as a parent), you absolutely do not need a vehicle larger than your 330i for just one kid. In fact, we once test-fitted a car seat into the back of a Cooper S and it fits just fine (ask JST - he was there).

I'm serious.

Fine by me. I rather drive my 330i than a wagon... trust me. I'll pitch it to my wife. Now excuse me while I read soem articles and see if a cabrio Mini is worth the money. I'll be back.

Maybe in three years MB will offer an E320 CDI wagon 4-matic. Hell, I'd buy that new for 50K.

JST
02-07-2005, 04:31 PM
We may never get pregnant. No one knows.

Whatever happens with your wife, I am fairly certain that you will not get pregnant.

Rob
02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
but mark this down, WE ARE NOT BUYING A CAR UNTIL AT LEAST THE FALL OF 2005.

See, that's the thing. Your wife was drooling over one. You have decided in a logical manner that you aren't buying a car like the MINI any time soon. She may have other plans. And the MINIs are cute - chicks love them. You might be trying to fight against a force of nature. Not wise, at best.

But I haven't met your wife, so I don't have any idea what happens after the idea gets planted in her head.

As for the cost of the MINI - it doesn't matter if it is worth it or not. You could buy it now, decide you don't have room for it when you do get pregnant, and sell it for very close to what you paid for it. I got a trade in value of $500 less than sticker for mine. Amazing.

FC
02-07-2005, 04:49 PM

See, that's the thing. Your wife was drooling over one. You have decided in a logical manner that you aren't buying a car like the MINI any time soon. She may have other plans. And the MINIs are cute - chicks love them. You might be trying to fight against a force of nature. Not wise, at best.

But I haven't met your wife, so I don't have any idea what happens after the idea gets planted in her head.

As for the cost of the MINI - it doesn't matter if it is worth it or not. You could buy it now, decide you don't have room for it when you do get pregnant, and sell it for very close to what you paid for it. I got a trade in value of $500 less than sticker for mine. Amazing.

She has been the one telling me all along to just ditch the 190E and drive only the 330i, so I don't see her pushing for a MINI right now.

TD
02-07-2005, 05:02 PM

She has been the one telling me all along to just ditch the 190E and drive only the 330i, so I don't see her pushing for a MINI right now.

Well, yeah. Because YOU are the one stubbornly clinging on to two cars because you don't want to put miles on the good car.

ff
02-07-2005, 05:55 PM

I'm serious.

I question needing anything bigger than the 330i for two kids. Up until they're ~6 to 7 years old. And the only limitation at that point, is rear legroom. We fit a double stroller and countless other necessities in the trunk of our 330i before child 3 arrived. Space was never an issue.

Plaz
02-07-2005, 05:59 PM

I'm serious.

I question needing anything bigger than the 330i for two kids. Up until they're ~6 to 7 years old. And the only limitation at that point, is rear legroom. We fit a double stroller and countless other necessities in the trunk of our 330i before child 3 arrived. Space was never an issue.

And plus, when it stalled, the kids could pile out with mom and help push to bump-start it.

Plaz
02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
She has been the one telling me all along to just ditch the 190E and drive only the 330i

That was before she got the twinkle in her eye, yes?

FC
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
She has been the one telling me all along to just ditch the 190E and drive only the 330i

That was before she got the twinkle in her eye, yes?

Before. :shock:

FC
02-07-2005, 07:10 PM

Well, yeah. Because YOU are the one stubbornly clinging on to two cars because you don't want to put miles on the good car.

Why ditch a (up until it really started acting up) good beater car that is completely paid for and I can guiltessly leave exposed to dents, scratches and shitty road conditions?

The car costs me less than $500 a year to insure, resgister, etc. And it is not a bad car. It may not be a fun car, but it is not a bad car. And mind you, until last fall when my wife started working, we needed a 2nd car otherwise she'd be stranded at home during the summer. She drove the 190E to her daily Bar review course, misc wedding appointments, etc.

My point is that having the 190E was essential until she started work, which unfortunately coincided with its precipitous decline in condition.

Finally, if I'm stubborn, it's because you have not seen my car. It is in SUCH great shape in so many ways, it almost feels like a sin to just give it to a junk yard for a couple of hundred bucks when I can maybe get it running (and learn a lot) by fixing it for cheap. It was my first car, dammit. There are feelings involved. That said, I do feel like it's an aging athlete and I'm trying to get one more season out of it hoping it doesn't suffer a career-ending injury.

Rant over.

dan
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I just don't see why we should get the Mini, other than as a fun 2nd car for the wife.

because your wife really wants one and it makes no sense to get a wagon

FC
02-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I just don't see why we should get the Mini, other than as a fun 2nd car for the wife.

because your wife really wants one and it makes no sense to get a wagon

:sigh:

You will notice that the Mini part of the thread was as an OT. Yes, she saw it, yes she loves it, and yes she would like to have one and I would too. But even she (at the time) acknowledged that it would be a cute car to have as a 3rd car type of thing. Not once did she seriously suggest getting one in the somewhat near term. She just would not drive it enough. It's like me wanting to put a pool in my house for my own use. It would not be worth the investment considering how little use it would get. But if I am wealthy enough to indulge and get one for limited use, why not? That is basically her position. "When we have money (or have no debt), we'll talk about it."

I just spoke with her, and she thought I was nuts for even suggesting getting the Mini over the wagon. She says we ought to be practical and get the wagon. Don't make me explain.

If I convince her to not get the wagon, that just means we'll be driving just the 330i for longer. Unless a Mini could be had for 10K it is simply not happening. Not for 2-3 years until our debt is gone. She's been awwwwing at every beetle cabrio she's seen since she let go of her beetle in 2001. This is no different. I WISH we had the money for one now, but we don't so it will wait.

A loaded Cooper S, cabrio or not, is well into the 20's. That is almost as much as the wagons we're looking at. :roll:

clyde
02-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Why ditch a (up until it really started acting up) good beater car

Becuase it has really started acting up and you are at/near the end of it being a decent value proposition. The real purpose of beaters is to get you form here to there at minimal expense and a minimum of hassle. Nothing more, nothing less. Eventually, it becomes time to ditch one and move on to the next.

Finally, if I'm stubborn, it's because you have not seen my car. It is in SUCH great shape in so many ways,...that's it's sitting there, useless, so much like a lame horse. Time to shoot it. Put it out of it's misery.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/warletters/gallery/images/04.jpg

I've said this to TD a couple of times and I mean it pretty much the same way as I did then:

You need to fuck other women.

FC
02-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Why ditch a (up until it really started acting up) good beater car

Becuase it has really started acting up and you are at/near the end of it being a decent value proposition. The real purpose of beaters is to get you form here to there at minimal expense and a minimum of hassle. Nothing more, nothing less. Eventually, it becomes time to ditch one and move on to the next.

Finally, if I'm stubborn, it's because you have not seen my car. It is in SUCH great shape in so many ways,...that's it's sitting there, useless, so much like a lame horse. Time to shoot it. Put it out of it's misery.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/warletters/gallery/images/04.jpg

I've said this to TD a couple of times and I mean it pretty much the same way as I did then:

You need to fuck other women.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are probably right. I'm having a hard time getting rid of it (if you can't tell :roll: ).

I'll probably waffle for another two weeks. :roll:

lemming
02-07-2005, 08:08 PM
on the one hand, i understand your emotional attachment to your car. i had a certain attachment to my first car, but it was so awful, it was at the opposite end of the emotional spectrum.

if you can prolong the life of the benz, cool.

if you can't, big deal. you got more money out of a car than most people do. since i'm more objective than you, i see that car as a walking timebomb.

something else will start to fail on it. you're into the thick of mechanical failures. next is wiring and anything made out of natural rubber. it's costly. while it's a solid chassis, it's still state of the art......circa mid 80s. which means in a world where more than 50% of vehicles are SUVs, it's really not as safe as you think it is.

it is not fast, either. speed is another key element in overall safety.

i'm glad you have a consensus about a replacement car, though.

wdc330i
02-07-2005, 08:16 PM
I just spoke with her, and she thought I was nuts for even suggesting getting the Mini over the wagon. She says we ought to be practical and get the wagon. Don't make me explain.

quote]

You know, if you wait long enough, there'll be a Mini Cooper S wagon on the market for you to buy....Several birds; one stone.

ZBB
02-08-2005, 12:17 PM

How long's it been since MINI the test drive?

How long's it been since she configured her MINI?

When was the last time she mentioned the word MINI without you mentioning other cars?

If you see a pattern in the frequencies between those times, she will be driving a MINI very soon. Trust me... I've been there (and that is not a bad thing when discussing MINIs!!!)

FC
02-08-2005, 01:29 PM

When was the last time she mentioned the word MINI without you mentioning other cars?

If you see a pattern in the frequencies between those times, she will be driving a MINI very soon. Trust me... I've been there (and that is not a bad thing when discussing MINIs!!!)

She's never driven one. Just sat in one in the showroom.

She configured it yesterday because I sent her the link unsolicited after you guys drilled me over the Mini.

Once. About a year ago she saw a Cooper S in red and mentioned what a nice red it was (this is an extension of our perennial color discussion due to the 330i being Imola red and me telling her there is no better red). Aside from that she has never brought up the Mini that I can remember.

I'm tellingyou... she likes it, and she wants to eventually own one. But only when we can easily swing one financially. Like I said, she's been saying one day she'll own a beetle cabrio since she turned in her beetle 3.5 years ago. The mini has now taken that place. That is all.

lemming
02-08-2005, 01:53 PM

She configured it yesterday because I sent her the link unsolicited after you guys drilled me over the Mini.

Once. About a year ago she saw a Cooper S in red and mentioned what a nice red it was (this is an extension of our perennial color discussion due to the 330i being Imola red and me telling her there is no better red). Aside from that she has never brought up the Mini that I can remember.

I'm tellingyou... she likes it, and she wants to eventually own one. But only when we can easily swing one financially. Like I said, she's been saying one day she'll own a beetle cabrio since she turned in her beetle 3.5 years ago. The mini has now taken that place. That is all.

don't sweat it, dude.

better to be house rich and car "poor" if you have to choose, anyway, right?

debt sucks and your stance on getting rid of it as soon as you can is laudable.

Rob
02-08-2005, 02:05 PM

ZBB wasn't really asking how much it has happened at this point, he's pointing out that if the frequency changes, you might just end up with one sooner than you think. My experience agrees with his. Worse things have happeend. ;)

FC
02-08-2005, 02:54 PM

ZBB wasn't really asking how much it has happened at this point, he's pointing out that if the frequency changes, you might just end up with one sooner than you think. My experience agrees with his. Worse things have happeend. ;)

I appreciate all comment s and suggestions. Thanks. ;)

lip277
02-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Maybe the title of this thread should read:

Almost Made a decision (finally) on the 190E and what wagon to get.

:D :twisted:

FC
02-08-2005, 04:58 PM

You are so very right. And it is sad. But the decision has been made and it is final. I'm selling it for whatever I can get.

clyde
02-08-2005, 06:59 PM

Maybe...

Made a decision to start yet another thread on the fate of the 190E and what wagon to get.

ZBB
02-08-2005, 07:36 PM

Exactly -- you'd be amazed how fast a female who is not a car nut can make up her mind that she wants a MINI after a test drive...

My wife (then girlfriend) and I went to test drive the MINI on a whim when she did not have a car and was in a very MBR-like ;-) many month long search for the right car. She had narrowed it down to an A4 or Passat and just nixed the then brand new G35. MINIs had just gone on sale, and there was a 90 minute wait for a test drive... Afterword, she could not stop talking about it, went online and configured it that night and made me leave work early one evening a few days later so we could do another test drive. She then put a deposit down immediately following the test drive. CR02MCS (it has a custom UK plate in front) has now been with us for a little over 2.5 years and 33k very enjoyable miles...

Rob
02-08-2005, 08:00 PM

Exactly -- you'd be amazed how fast a female who is not a car nut can make up her mind that she wants a MINI after a test drive...

My wife (then girlfriend) and I went to test drive the MINI on a whim when she did not have a car and was in a very MBR-like ;-) many month long search for the right car. She had narrowed it down to an A4 or Passat and just nixed the then brand new G35. MINIs had just gone on sale, and there was a 90 minute wait for a test drive... Afterword, she could not stop talking about it, went online and configured it that night and made me leave work early one evening a few days later so we could do another test drive. She then put a deposit down immediately following the test drive. CR02MCS (it has a custom UK plate in front) has now been with us for a little over 2.5 years and 33k very enjoyable miles...

There you go mbr. Don't let her test drive one and you might be all right. On the other hand, if you let her test drive one, you could avoid the imasculation of owning a car with a flower vase in it. Worked for me.

FC
02-08-2005, 08:26 PM
There you go mbr. Don't let her test drive one and you might be all right. On the other hand, if you let her test drive one, you could avoid the imasculation of owning a car with a flower vase in it. Worked for me.

I set her straight from the beginning. A few days after I met her I drove her car and the first thing I did was remove the flower holder from it.

I think the Mini has won her over the Beetle on loooks and interior feel alone (I'm very glad). I'll hold off on the test drive. ;)