PDA

View Full Version : Saw a bike accident tonight

blee
02-05-2005, 08:39 PM
On our way home from dinner tonight, we were stopped on an on-ramp by a guy in a riding jacket. "Do you have a cell phone? Someone just got thrown off his back, looks like he's hurt pretty bad." Kim happened to have her phone out, so we pulled over, and while she called 911 I got out to see what was going on.

Apparently, the guy who flagged me down was at a light when the other guy pulled up next to him. The light turned green, the other guy gunned it and entered the ramp way too hot. I found his bike (a blue cruiser-style machine, looked pretty nice) down on the grass next to the road. Looks like he lost traction, slid off the ramp, and high-sided the bike. Probably got thrown off his bike and over the guardrail. There was another guy, an emergency doc, who had pulled over a second earlier and was tending to him. The patient was a middle aged fellow of average build, and he wasn't in terrible shape; if anything, it looked like he had broken a collarbone.

The emergency vehicles came very quickly after the phone call. The guy who flagged me down also happened to be a paramedic, and he helped the rescue team get the guy onto a board and into the ambulance. I made my way home as they were getting ready to leave the scene and after telling the police my side of the story (which wasn't too useful).

I still want a bike, but now I know that it's hard to be as responsible as you intend to be.

rumatt
02-06-2005, 02:27 AM
:(