PDA

View Full Version : I looked for a Taurus on Autotrader yesterday... :roll eyes:

FC
01-21-2005, 09:33 AM
:roll: :oops: :cry: :shock:

Basically, to make a long story short, we are looking at a vehicle (wagon/SUV) that will fill a hole for about 2 years.

I sat my wife down (a couple of weeks back actually) and discussed what we would like our vehicles to look like in 5 years. Not specific models, but rather, what kind of cars should we have in the long term.

The conclusion:

-A winter-proof, roomy, family vehicle (SUV/wagon with AWD)
-A commuter sedan for me that can be driven in winter in all but the worst conditions
-A sports/sporty car that would basically not be touched from November until April. This is a want, not a need, of course.

With this end goal in sight, we looked at our current vehicles and our financial situation, and tried to find the most inteligent and fiscally responsible way to get there.

The 330i can fill the sedan role for the forseeable future, but as soon as I can get a hold of a stick-shift AWD TL sedan, I'd like to make a swap... I think.

The sports car (Boxster/C6/etc) would be obtained years down the road when and if we're in excellent financial shape.

We'd like to get the nice family car now, but considering kids are couple of years away still and we're trying to pay off debt right now, it makes no sense to buy a nice car now. But we cannot just have the 330i.

So I was thinking of cheap (as in well under $10K - otherwise just finance the nice car now) wagons that could fill the role of 2nd car, and have some ability to transport more stuff that I can fit on the 330i. Since my parents in one way or another have had Taurus wagons for nearly 10 years, I know that they are roomy, cheap, fairly reliable as long as they are not too old, and boring as all hell.

In theory I ought to find a 2000 Taurus wagon for under 7K. Seems hard to beat. A mid-90's Volvo could be had for the same money and my 190E blizzaks would fit, but I think I rather take the 2000 Taurus. Even after we ditch it in a couple of years, the depreciation hit wont be more than 3-4K. 2000 Outbacks are 4-5K more than the all-new for 2000 Taurus.

Any thoughts?

zach
01-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Basically, to make a long story short, we are looking at a vehicle (wagon/SUV) that will fill a hole for about 2 years.

I sat my wife down (a couple of weeks back actually) and discussed what we would like our vehicles to look like in 5 years. Not specific models, but rather, what kind of cars should we have in the long term.

The conclusion:

-A commuter sedan for me that can be driven in winter in all but the worst conditions
-A sports/sporty car that would basically not be touched from November until April. This is a want, not a need, of course.

With this end goal in sight, we looked at our current vehicles and our financial situation, and tried to find the most inteligent and fiscally responsible way to get there.

The 330i can fill the sedan role for the forseeable future, but as soon as I can get a hold of a stick-shift AWD TL sedan, I'd like to make a swap... I think.

The sports car (Boxster/C6/etc) would be obtained years down the road when and if we're in excellent financial shape.

We'd like to get the nice family car now, but considering kids are couple of years away still and we're trying to pay off debt right now, it makes no sense to buy a nice car now. But we cannot just have the 330i.

So I was thinking of cheap (as in well under $10K - otherwise just finance the nice car now) wagons that could fill the role of 2nd car, and have some ability to transport more stuff that I can fit on the 330i. Since my parents in one way or another have had Taurus wagons for nearly 10 years, I know that they are roomy, cheap, fairly reliable as long as they are not too old, and boring as all hell.

In theory I ought to find a 2000 Taurus wagon for under 7K. Seems hard to beat. A mid-90's Volvo could be had for the same money and my 190E blizzaks would fit, but I think I rather take the 2000 Taurus. Even after we ditch it in a couple of years, the depreciation hit wont be more than 3-4K. 2000 Outbacks are 4-5K more than the all-new for 2000 Taurus.

Any thoughts?

You'd hate the Taurus. How about a used 6 cylinder jeep GC? The motor in those goes forever (literally). It's great in the snow, reasonably roomy and comfortable. The only major downside is abominable fuel efficiency.

Come September, I think we'll probably need two cars and will be faced with the same issue.

clyde
01-21-2005, 09:45 AM
to make a long story short,

Liar! :twisted:

FC
01-21-2005, 10:23 AM
to make a long story short,

Liar! :twisted:

LOL :lol:

I meant the story of the discussion with my wife. :paranoid:

SCA
01-21-2005, 10:30 AM

Not a bad choice. I am waiting for the same vehicle.

You'd hate the Taurus. How about a used 6 cylinder jeep GC? The motor in those goes forever (literally). It's great in the snow, reasonably roomy and comfortable. The only major downside is abominable fuel efficiency.

Come September, I think we'll probably need two cars and will be faced with the same issue.

A little OT. I saw a bumper sticker on a Jeep the other day. Jeep - Just Empty Every Pocket. BTW, there is plenty of truth to it. Former spouse has a Jeep GC, was and still is expensive to maintain out of warranty.

FC
01-21-2005, 10:31 AM

I know the taurus will suck. But my 190E is old enough that I don't enjoy it anymore. It is now simply an appliance. So in that regard the Taurus will be the same, except newer and hopefully in excellent working order.

I did think of the old-SUV route. But in the new-ness/$$$ equation the 2000 Taurus just about slaughters anything out there. There is something to be said for getting an old JGC for cheap that I will never have to sell and keep as a blizzard/flooding-only 4th car, but as fundamentaly reliable as they are, my 190E is also reliable, the issue is that when cars get that old, lots of nagging things go wrong and start getting on my nerves. If the JGC solution were REALLY cheap (as in 2-3K) I'd consider it, but you cannot get a very clean example for less thana 2000 Taurus and it would still be much older and with a lot more miles.

Still, I've not made up my mind 100%, hence the trhead.

FC
01-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Drool!!!!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=175151259&dealer_id=55697270&car_ye ar=1995&search_type=used&make=MB&transmission=&mod el=E320&distance=200&address=02021&make2=&advanced =y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&min_price=&e nd_year=1995&color=&start_year=1994&drive=&isp=y&e ngine=&body_style=WAGON&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardi st=178#top

zach
01-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Drool!!!!

If you get that, I want to sit in the way back seats.

FC
01-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Drool!!!!

If you get that, I want to sit in the way back seats.

Anytime.

zach
01-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Anytime.

You probably think I'm joking. I'm not.

I'll demand to sit back there even if it's just you and me in the car. I'll also whine until you threaten to "turn this car around and go home". It'll be just like my early childhood.

;)

dan
01-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Drool!!!!

:?

whatever floats your boat

:D

FC
01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Drool!!!!

:?

whatever floats your boat

:D

There are reasons why I like that car. Aside from thinking it looks great and it is extremely roomy, it has 229 lb-ft of torque in the same smooth as silk engine I have in the 190E. It also has very usable 3rd row seats as zach pointed out. Excellent brakes, very reliable, quiet, and all the goodies plus more that I like in my 190E, not to metion RWD, instead of FWD. A nice wagon like this could very well delay a replacement for an extra year or two without feeling like we're "putting up with it."

I also have worked a ton on my two 190's and this car is very similar to work on.

Finally, it's a benz, and I'm a yuppie. :twisted: No really, those Benzes kick ass. Very reliable. I got my 190E wirh 108K miles and it gave me almost flawless 80K more miles. If I can get 50K out of this wagon, that would be awesome.

dan
01-21-2005, 02:50 PM
why do you want/need a 3rd row of seats?

FC
01-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Anytime.

You probably think I'm joking. I'm not.

I'll demand to sit back there even if it's just you and me in the car. I'll also whine until you threaten to "turn this car around and go home". It'll be just like my early childhood.

;)

:lol:

I love rear facing seats. I was a smallish barely 14-year old when my dad got his 1991 Taurus and I always wanted to be in the back because I felt I had tons of room to myself. Only problem was getting AC all the way back there in hot days.

FC
01-21-2005, 03:03 PM
why do you want/need a 3rd row of seats?

I don't, but it is nice to have. You never know when you need to transport kids. My wife has two young nephews.

FC
01-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Shit, this one is closer and cheaper!

The detailed description of "Great lookign car" doesn't inspire confidence. Pawtucket RI. Less than 25 miles and about 15 miles from my route home from work.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=175146991&dealer_id=621102&car_year =1995&search_type=used&make=MB&transmission=&model =E320&distance=25&address=02021&make2=&advanced=y& certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&min_price=&end_ year=1995&color=&start_year=1994&drive=&isp=y&engi ne=&body_style=WAGON&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist= 24

Rob
01-21-2005, 04:18 PM
You relize that first one has the name of some construction company on the side of it, right? If it were me, I would have to inspect that long and hard before I considered buying it. No telling how hard it's been used.

FC
01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
You relize that first one has the name of some construction company on the side of it, right? If it were me, I would have to inspect that long and hard before I considered buying it. No telling how hard it's been used.

Yes I did notice. But the guy has put big money into it and has $$$ in wheels and tires. That cought my eye. But it is in NYC.

The 2nd one (more local) I posted seems more feasibe and it is cheaper, as long as it is not a POS.

SARAFIL
01-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Yes I did notice. But the guy has put big money into it and has $$$ in wheels and tires. That cought my eye. But it is in NYC.

The 2nd one (more local) I posted seems more feasibe and it is cheaper, as long as it is not a POS.

With 100k on the clock, it could still be a decent car. At least it looks good from the pics.

I wouldn't be surprised if that car came in as a trade at one of the local Mercedes stores (possibly even my dealer). The Carfax shows it to be a one owner car out of MA.

FC
01-21-2005, 04:29 PM

With 100k on the clock, it could still be a decent car. At least it looks good from the pics.

I wouldn't be surprised if that car came in as a trade at one of the local Mercedes stores (possibly even my dealer). The Carfax shows it to be a one owner car out of MA.

Thanks man! It is at 707 Broadway in Pawtucket, but I'm sure you knew that already. John's Motors or something like that.

Those cars are good for at LEAST 175K miles, if not much more with proper maintenance of course. Hopefully I'll check it out this weekend.

SARAFIL
01-21-2005, 04:51 PM

Thanks man! It is at 707 Broadway in Pawtucket, but I'm sure you knew that already. John's Motors or something like that.

Those cars are good for at LEAST 175K miles, if not much more with proper maintenance of course. Hopefully I'll check it out this weekend.

I'm sure it's worth a look.

With the snow that they are planning for this weekend, you might have to wait to check it out, though.

FC
01-21-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm sure it's worth a look.

With the snow that they are planning for this weekend, you might have to wait to check it out, though.

I actually just got back from checking it out. Of course, I got there at 5:45pm and the place was closed. :roll:

The outside looks great except for the expected few stone chips that are hard to see on a silver car and a busted plastic trim thingie on the grill. Windshield has the original Daimler Benz sticker on it. From what I could see of the interior it looked immaculate, like most MB Tex black interiors. It had the grossly overpriced but recommended Michelins MXV4's or whatever (front right had virtually no air) with decent tread left.

The car had "12-17" written in the windshield which I assume means they got it in mid-Dec. Not a big place. Maybe 25 cars all crammed into a little lot. Used high-end German cars.

I wonder what I can get him down to (assuming the car is in very good mechancial shape) and what he would give me for my Benz. I'm probably better off selling that one on my own.

The wife is against buying ANY car right now. She is stubborn in suggesting we just drive the 330i if our 190E dies. I'm firm in that that wont be the case. I didn't buy my 330i to beat the shit out of it in the winter and put 25K+ miles a year. I say if after selling/trading the Benz I can get this car for 6K, it is a great deal. I just need her to believe the same.

wdc330i
01-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Drool!!!!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=175151259&dealer_id=55697270&car_ye ar=1995&search_type=used&make=MB&transmission=&mod el=E320&distance=200&address=02021&make2=&advanced =y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&min_price=&e nd_year=1995&color=&start_year=1994&drive=&isp=y&e ngine=&body_style=WAGON&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardi st=178#top

A friend of mine had that very car and just loved it. They swapped it out for an E320 Wagon with AWD and he didn't like that one nearly as well.

wdc330i
01-21-2005, 08:05 PM

The conclusion:

Any thoughts?

I had a rental Mercury Sable wagon as a rental one time. It was not so horrible. Same thing as a Taurus, no?

SARAFIL
01-21-2005, 08:09 PM
What do you think you could realistically ask for your Benz?

Of course, that is meaningless if you can't get your other half to approve.

FC
01-21-2005, 08:25 PM
What do you think you could realistically ask for your Benz?

Of course, that is meaningless if you can't get your other half to approve.

I think I can sell it pretty quickly for 1K. It could take a couple of weeks, but I could sell it for 1.5K. I would have to be pretty darn lucky to get anything close to 2k. If I sell privately, I'd go with $2K obo.

If I can get 1K for it as a trade-in and get him to come down $500, then we're down to 6K. I'd do that in a heartbeat. But yes, there is the wife issue.

FC
01-21-2005, 08:26 PM
I had a rental Mercury Sable wagon as a rental one time. It was not so horrible. Same thing as a Taurus, no?

Yes, it is.

nate
01-21-2005, 08:49 PM
http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~intuiton/image/waffle.jpg