PDA

View Full Version : FS: 2007 Boxster S CPO

FC
06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Located in the greater Boston area

-3.4L (295hp)
-6-Speed MT
-Currently just under 18K miles
-Carrara White with Cocoa roof on optional Cocoa Special Leather interior.
-Preferred PKG PLUS (incl: Bi-Xenon headlamps, 6-CD changer, heated seats, power seats with lumbar support and memory, BOSE premium sound system, auto dimming mirrors (all 3), automatic wipers, colored wheel crests, wind deflector.
-OEM Plastic liners on both front and rear trunks and cocoa embroidered floor mats.
-Car is in excellent condition, just as when obtained a year ago as a Porsche CPO car.
-Original warranty thru 50K miles and 9/2011 and Porsche CPO warranty thru 9/2013 and 100K miles.
-The car was fully serviced by dealership for CPO certification on 5/09.
-Always garaged. No accidents. Non-smoker. Shell V-Power only. Absolutely pampered. Looks, drives, feels, and sounds spectacular - like new. A rare and very special car.

$39,999

mbr129@yahoo.com

FC
07-03-2010, 03:53 PM
More photos. Hopefully the link works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27794327@N05/sets/72157624414094986/

JST
07-03-2010, 06:44 PM
It's a beautiful car.

equ
07-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Once again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, no! You will be sad to let this one go and when the time comes to replace it, something "better" will end up costing you more in the end. (My selling my zhp, then getting an ultimately unsatisfactory old 528i comes to mind.)

Of course, I do financial stuff differently than some folks (always purchases cars in cash). So if I can't afford the car purchase, I don't have it in the first place, thus there is no issue of payment management. But really, this will be a loss.

Good thing is that your price is high enough that it is unlikely to be hit quickly.

equ
07-03-2010, 10:08 PM
BTW, I spent part of today with an e93m3, yes the 'vert is weaker framed and heavier (and somehow this time around I felt it). But, really, it is no match for the 987S in daily use or for entertainment value. The gearing felt wrong, super short 1st & 2nd. Much less torquey around town, you really have to rev the crap out of it, and only then it sounds like an awesome, exotic engine (and yes, my friend averages about 9mpg's in and around NYC). Turn in is very good, and in the end as great as it is, the porsche is much more special.

FC
07-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I understand and agree. But starting in Ocotber I will drive it so little it will be a total waste.

kognito
07-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I will drive it so little it will be a total waste.

Ummm

No it won't

Every once in a while, you will get a day or two in Feb or March when you will be the envy of everyone you drive past.

FC
07-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Ummm

No it won't

Every once in a while, you will get a day or two in Feb or March when you will be the envy of everyone you drive past.

Ummm

It has nothing to do with the weather.

kognito
07-04-2010, 02:37 PM
-

A rare and very special car.

What I really meant was, it will always be this, no mater how much you drive it. I understand your need for something that has more seats.

JMHO that if you can swing it, you should hold onto it for a while. How much could it possibly loose in value??

JST
07-04-2010, 02:54 PM
BTW, I spent part of today with an e93m3, yes the 'vert is weaker framed and heavier (and somehow this time around I felt it). But, really, it is no match for the 987S in daily use or for entertainment value. The gearing felt wrong, super short 1st & 2nd. Much less torquey around town, you really have to rev the crap out of it, and only then it sounds like an awesome, exotic engine (and yes, my friend averages about 9mpg's in and around NYC). Turn in is very good, and in the end as great as it is, the porsche is much more special.

Yeah, all of this is true--and the other downside of this is because the M3 is mostly about the engine and you have to really wind it out to get to the place where it makes the magic happen, you do things in the M3 that you'd never do in the Porsche. At least I do. The Porsche is quick but quick is only part of the story. The M3 is smash you across the mouth fast and that Mr. Hyde moment is really the beginning and the end of what the car is about. So, you find yourself sideways in second in the M3, or shifting hard into third at redline at speeds that would get you thrown into the slammer, and you wonder...WTF am I doing?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If it came down to Porsche + (even used) 328 or 330 or just an M3, I'd pick the former all day long, every time. Even if I got to drive the Porsche for an hour or so only once a week, I'd still make that choice.

equ
07-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, that's if you get an open road... Below 35-40mph, I found it fussy to shift due to the gearing. The shifting itself is no issue. The shifter is great, short and deliberate. The clutch is a bit too light, but fine, very similar to the a4 clutch. In tight spaces, it feels a lot slower than the 987. If you don't get above 4000rpm, not much happens. It does have a very decent ride & suspension for a modern, heavy bmw but I really didn't miss it much when I switched to my a4. Amazing... I never thought I'd say that about an M and perhaps it is no longer in my future. Then again, I may only be picking up what FC noticed about the 'vert all along.

Either way, not as impressed as I used to be. I was there when this car was bought (and so was 'Fil) and now that the novelty has worn off...

Sharp11
07-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Any large four-seat coupe or sedan pushing near 4000lbs can't be compared to a relatively light and short wheel-base two seater - it's apples and oranges :dunno:

You make a choice, either the utility and comfort of the larger car, or the fun and immediacy of the smaller one.

Jst touched on a possible solution, a good comfortable daily driver and a 2 seater as a third car.

This has its downsides too - it costs more to maintain three cars and you need the space - you also need to be certain to drive all three cars (or two cars if you're a single guy) often enough or risk finding mice have invaded your sports car.

I've been through this conundrum in my mind several times and for now, I just haven't wanted to deal with a threesome ... um, at least not of the automotive variety :)

rumatt
07-05-2010, 12:38 AM
So, you find yourself sideways in second in the M3, or shifting hard into third at redline at speeds that would get you thrown into the slammer, and you wonder...WTF am I doing?

Note to self: don't get a motorcycle or an M3.

FC
07-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I've been thinking about this car and talking to my wife, and while I'm not pulling the car from the market, there is a bigger chance that I may not sell it.

Before I explain the logic one last time, let me just say that I test drove the E93 and E90 M3 weeks before I bought the 987S. I found the M3 to be simply too dangerous to have any real fun on the street, very expensive to buy, and perhaps too nice to be used to shuttle children daily. All this I said before and I still stand by it. Especially when at the time, I still had an E46 ZHP that I compared favorably (perhaps preposterosly) to the E90 M3. As I recall, I liked the M3, but not 40K+ more than the ZHP.

Based a lot on this, I decided to get the 987S. So I don't need to be sold on the fact that the 987S is a far better fun car. I own it and I know this fully.

The real question is/was: Do I keep a 987S I drive on seldom errands and even more rare fun drives, or do I get the most fun sports sedan I can get and use it "all the time." The decision was to get the sportscar, try it out, and if it didn't work, sell it and get the M3.

I got the 987S, I now feel I wont drive it enough to justify it, so I now move on to part two of the plan.

But here's where it gets a bit hairy. If we have a 3rd kid, there could be a period of a year+ where even the M3 would not be used to commute to work (kids ages/seats req's). It would never be used as a family car until at least one is off a booster (and even then a very tight squeeze) - and that could be many years. And then there is the issue that I am selling a 40K sportscar that holds its value reasonably well to buy a new 60K sedan - which with childcare expenses for three may simply not be an option financially. Of course, I could also just get a used M3 (or cheaper sedan, but then the trade off starts to hurt in terms of net amount of fun).

So I have to think a bit.

ff
07-05-2010, 08:54 AM
But starting in Ocotber I will drive it so little it will be a total waste.

Starting in October, my Honda will go in the garage until next April. That's going to be a long ~6 months.

FC
07-05-2010, 09:04 AM
One can safely drive on summer tires here from April thru November. There is no reason to store a car here for more than 4 months. Maybe even just three.

equ
07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
And then there is the issue that I am selling a 40K sportscar that holds its value reasonably well to buy a new 60K sedan - which with childcare expenses for three may simply not be an option financially. Of course, I could also just get a used M3 (or cheaper sedan, but then the trade off starts to hurt in terms of net amount of fun).

Bingo... :yes:

Don't get me wrong. The e9xM is good (and I looked forward to it as my next car - e.g. if I were to have a kid) but it simply isn't that much fun around town. It has the drivetrain of a race car bolted on to a sedan, so it is a bit odd to drive. It doesn't really "work" unless you rev it, unlike the torquey smooth-around-town porsches. So the benefit of the extra seats is questionable. The car felt much more like s2000 times two than I remembered. I think the a4 has me spoiled on torque (the new 2.0T is totally underrated).

In some ways this sheds light into the future for me. The M is a great car for someone who occasionally takes people, but not for space reasons. If you drive people occasionally you have a choice, you can give them the joyride of their life, or you can suck it up and drive it weak and meek those few times. But what happens with 3-4 people constantly in that car, you won't ever drive it properly, it will be an exercise in frustration as JST wrote above. All our 200hp+ german cars are exercises in frustration to varying degrees, but this car is among those that take the cake.

FC
07-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I'd love to be able to re-purchase my 330i as a 4th car (it's still for sale!) but I would have enough trouble keeping the 987S nevermind spending another 16K.

Maybe if we sell the Volvo...

kognito
07-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Clean E39 M5??

ff
07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
So, you find yourself sideways in second in the M3, or shifting hard into third at redline at speeds that would get you thrown into the slammer, and you wonder...WTF am I doing?

To a lesser degree and severity, I find myself in the same position with the Honda. I have "WTF am I doing?" moments all the time.

I quite often wonder what a family-hauling sedan with similar behavior would be like. On the surface it sounds cool, but ultimately it would be rather pointless. Not because of the car's abilities, but because of where those abilities are fully realized, and how obnoxious it would be driving it correctly when you've got passengers.

FC
07-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Well, the 987S does it too, with 2nd gear taking you all the way past 70mph. But the key is that it sounds great at low speeds too and everything about the car is just awesome (except the sound system controls and connectivity).

And I agree with your comment re: the family sedan. I find myself loving the old JGC. Gobs of low end torque for lazy slushie driving with the family, who gives a shit cosmetic condition and the freedom that brings, never worrying about potholes, driveways, bumps, etc. It can't turn or stop without leaning all over the place though, and that is what makes me appreciate the V70R.

ff
07-05-2010, 01:09 PM
2nd gear taking you all the way past 70mph

No such luck here. I only reach 58 MPH in 2nd. Obviously Honda doesn't care about 0-60 time bragging rights. :)

FC
07-05-2010, 03:13 PM
No such luck here. I only reach 58 MPH in 2nd. Obviously Honda doesn't care about 0-60 time bragging rights. :)

It appears Porsche doesn't either, because they left 12mph too many in 2nd gear. But it makes for some kick-ass on ramp fun though.

JST
07-05-2010, 08:48 PM
How old are the kids?

FC
07-05-2010, 11:51 PM
A 911 TT is out mass law requires boosters until 8yo. A co-worker just picked up a gorgeous '07 CPO 997TT, it looks like a PITA.

Also, the 997TT is no 987S and even this guy admits it.

Tires alone at the tirerack are $2000-2200 a set. Now add S&H + install.:eek::ack:

Sharp11
07-06-2010, 02:15 AM
A 911 TT is out mass law requires boosters until 8yo. A co-worker just picked up a gorgeous '07 CPO 997TT, it looks like a PITA.

Also, the 997TT is no 987S and even this guy admits it.

Tires alone at the tirerack are $2000-2200 a set. Now add S&H + install.:eek::ack:

Could you translate this to english???

SARAFIL
07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Could you translate this to english???

He needs to keep his kids in booster seats until they are 8. He does not think he can fit his kids in booster seats in the back seats of the 997.

He also obviously does not grasp teh awesomeness of the 997 because he is complaining about how much the tires cost. Come on!! that's the price of entry into the exclusive 997TT club. You should be honored that you have to spend $2k on tires, it means that you've made it! :eeps: ;)

JST
07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
7 and 5 year old girls, they fit fine in the back.

The back-less boosters probably give a bit more legroom than the Maxi-Cosi Rodi with back that we test-fit in a 997. Nevertheless, after seeing my daughter's reaction to sitting the back of that car, I'm going to say that even little kids only "fit fine" as long as they don't want to move their legs. Or arms, for that matter.

TD
07-06-2010, 09:44 AM
The back-less boosters probably give a bit more legroom than the Maxi-Cosi Rodi with back that we test-fit in a 997. Nevertheless, after seeing my daughter's reaction to sitting the back of that car, I'm going to say that even little kids only "fit fine" as long as they don't want to move their legs. Or arms, for that matter.
For the record, my kids only tolerate the back of the M3C because it's a convertible. If it were a hardtop M3, they would not put up with the back seat. It's tight for them and they are 7 and 10 (and we cheat and don't use a booster for our 7 year old in that car).

And I know the M3C has A LOT more rear room than any 911.

I can't see the backseat of any 911 being a realistic option for humans with legs.

wdc330i
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
For the record, my kids only tolerate the back of the M3C because it's a convertible. If it were a hardtop M3, they would not put up with the back seat. It's tight for them and they are 7 and 10 (and we cheat and don't use a booster for our 7 year old in that car).

And I know the M3C has A LOT more rear room than any 911.

I can't see the backseat of any 911 being a realistic option for humans with legs.

Also, if you have a young child, it's handy for an adult to be able to sit next to them from time to time...

FC
07-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Also, if you have a young child, it's handy for an adult to be able to sit next to them from time to time...

Yes. My wife does this often - even now between the two car seats.

FC
08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Question: Buyer is proposing paying a large chunk in cash ($15,000) and the rest in a certified check. I was OK with ZHP taking $1500 in cash, but I don't know how I feel about $15,000.

Thoughts? Am I over-reacting?

Rob
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Meet him at your bank, have your banker verify the cash isn't counterfeit, take the money and run.

JST
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Question: Buyer is proposing paying a large chunk in cash ($15,000) and the rest in a certified check. I was OK with ZHP taking $1500 in cash, but I don't know how I feel about $15,000.

Why is the buyer proposing this? Seems exceptionally odd.

I would only do it if the buyer met me at my bank and my bank was able to verify the bills and accept the deposit on the spot.

SARAFIL
08-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Well, fortunately as an individual you do not have to deal with IRS reporting for receiving over $10,000 in cash equivalents. I'd still feel a bit funny about it-- if he can get a certified check for the rest, why can't he give the cash to the bank and just get one check for the entire amount?

FC
08-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Why is the buyer proposing this? Seems exceptionally odd.

I would only do it if the buyer met me at my bank and my bank was able to verify the bills and accept the deposit on the spot.

I was thinking the same thing. Make the deposit in person in front of him and if it all clears, then fine.

I just don't udnerstand why he can't buy one or (two if he wants to stay under the limit) cashier's checks.

Seems funny.

FC
08-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, fortunately as an individual you do not have to deal with IRS reporting for receiving over $10,000 in cash equivalents. I'd still feel a bit funny about it-- if he can get a certified check for the rest, why can't he give the cash to the bank and just get one check for the entire amount?

That's my question. He gave me his number to talk about it, and I will call him. I just wanted to make sure I'm not over-reacting to the weirdness of the request.

ZBB
08-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm guessing he's worried about you being worried about the certified check not real -- perhaps give more in cash to make you feel comfortable?

But it is very odd.

Either way, I'd meet him at the bank (you can even pick a branch not necessarily close to your house) and then do all the title transfer stuff after the check and cash clears...

equ
08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
He probably wants the "official sale price" to be that on the certified check for sales tax purposes. What's so difficult to understand? :dunno:

Is he from NY/NJ/CT? :p

FC
08-16-2010, 02:15 PM
He probably wants the "official sale price" to be that on the certified check for sales tax purposes. What's so difficult to understand? :dunno:

NY.

FC
08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm guessing he's worried about you being worried about the certified check not real -- perhaps give more in cash to make you feel comfortable?

But it is very odd.

Either way, I'd meet him at the bank (you can even pick a branch not necessarily close to your house) and then do all the title transfer stuff after the check and cash clears...

He wants to come by this week and look it over, and if all is good, he will be back this weekend to pick it up.

SARAFIL
08-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Lucky if he can get away with that. ;)

In RI, they automatically charge sales tax based on NADA retail value for any vehicles that are purchased from private parties. This is done to take care of the problem of people coming in to the DMV with a bill of sale showing a lower-than-actual sales price. If you feel your vehicle is legitimately worth less than the NADA value, you have to file an appeal with the Division of Taxation and have your car appraised by a dealer.

ZBB
08-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Lucky if he can get away with that. ;)

In RI, they automatically charge sales tax based on NADA retail value for any vehicles that are purchased from private parties...

AZ goes one simpler -- no sales tax charged on private party sales of used cars.

equ
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
If you show 65-80% of your used purchase price, they are unlikely to trouble you in NJ. This guy seems a bit aggressive.

equ
08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
NY.

Bingo. I know my tri-staters.

BTW, congrats on pending sale. I really am thinking of selling the cayman. Drove it very little this year. Unfortunately goes out of warranty in five weeks (and I will be away for two of those). I have been very un-equ-like in getting out of this car.

FC
08-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Bingo. I know my tri-staters.

BTW, congrats on pending sale. I really am thinking of selling the cayman. Drove it very little this year. Unfortunately goes out of warranty in five weeks (and I will be away for two of those). I have been very un-equ-like in getting out of this car.

Well he had already complained in an email about the sales tax.

In MA you pay NADA or transaction price, whichever is greater (IIRC).

FC
08-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Well, we agreed to keep the cash at under 10K and make the transaction at the bank. He had no problems with any of it. He will come up next Wednesday after a night at Foxwoods with his wife and take the car back with him.

He sounded like a nice guy and pretty happy about his potential new car (really, who wouldn't be?).

JST
08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Well, we agreed to keep the cash at under 10K and make the transaction at the bank. He had no problems with any of it. He will come up next Wednesday after a night at Foxwoods with his wife and take the car back with him.

He sounded like a nice guy and pretty happy about his potential new car (really, who wouldn't be?).

Dude, insist on doing the 10K cash transaction BEFORE he blows it all at Foxwoods.

Unless he's only got $20 and is hoping to win big so that he can buy your car. :eeps:

FC
08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Dude, insist on doing the 10K cash transaction BEFORE he blows it all at Foxwoods.

Unless he's only got $20 and is hoping to win big so that he can buy your car. :eeps:

:lol: :lol::lol:

That's exactly what I told the guys over at lunchtime.:D

ZBB
08-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Congrats!

(I have some minor regret about passing on it though)...

FC
08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
SOLD.