PDA

View Full Version : Yup, I'm back in the northeast, and it's winter.

Plaz
12-28-2004, 02:44 PM
http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-01.jpg

http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-02.jpg

http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-03.jpg

operknockity
12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
:vomit:

clyde
12-28-2004, 03:10 PM
I love the glyphs that NJ is using on their tags now.

It was almost a year ago:
http://www.clydeorama.com/photos/albums/album03/gas1.jpg

FC
12-28-2004, 03:25 PM
My 330i looks just as bad after getting stuck in the blizzard for 2 hours on the way back from Montreal. It is supposed to hit 50F this weekend, so I'll wash it by hand then.

clyde
12-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like it when the car is real dirty like that. It looks like it's been somewhere, done something.

Plaz
12-28-2004, 03:27 PM
I love the glyphs that NJ is using on their tags now.

It was almost a year ago:
http://www.clydeorama.com/photos/albums/album03/gas1.jpg

Salt accessorizes grey much better than blue. :D

You should see the funny glasses the cops wear to read the plate numbers. :paranoid:

Plaz
12-28-2004, 03:30 PM
My 330i looks just as bad after getting stuck in the blizzard for 2 hours on the way back from Montreal. It is supposed to hit 50F this weekend, so I'll wash it by hand then.

Yeah... still hasn't broken freezing here. So the salt will feast upon the car until this weekend.

Took 10.5 hours to get back from Maine... the blizzard conditions were a biatch in MA and CT.

I just hope there's none of that on the drive to MI for NAIAS. :paranoid:

Plaz
12-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like it when the car is real dirty like that. It looks like it's been somewhere, done something.

The speckled white badge of courage? :lol:

clyde
12-28-2004, 03:38 PM

Yeah... still hasn't broken freezing here. So the salt will feast upon the car until this weekend.

Took 10.5 hours to get back from Maine... the blizzard conditions were a biatch in MA and CT.

I just hope there's none of that on the drive to MI for NAIAS. :paranoid:

I drove from Baltimore to Minniapolis on Dec 30, 2000 in a rented Ford Ranger. It snowed pretty much the whole way. It was not a pleasant trip...especially after I ran out of washer fluid when getting into OH...and it wasn't until the fourth service area that I found more.

Plaz
12-28-2004, 03:41 PM
I drove from Baltimore to Minniapolis on Dec 30, 2000 in a rented Ford Ranger. It snowed pretty much the whole way. It was not a pleasant trip...especially after I ran out of washer fluid when getting into OH...and it wasn't until the fourth service area that I found more.

Bleech. We used up the entire reservoir full of fluid on the trip back... I was happy to have the extra large (1 gallon +) CWP reservoir. This trip was the first one where I actually found the headlamp washers helpful.

FC
12-28-2004, 03:42 PM

Ugh...

It took me ~3 hours to make it home from the NH border. It usually takes about 45 minutes. I'm glad we didn't leave any later.

Your drive must have been sucky as hell. Glad you made it ok. What tires are you sporting? I had 225 LM22's all around. Car did very well. I only lost traction on VERY deep stuff while giving the car gas at under 20mph. But as long as I was moving I was fine.

clyde
12-28-2004, 03:42 PM

The speckled white badge of courage? :lol:

It doesn't have to be salt. Mud/dirt works well too. About 15 years ago, a friend and I were waiting to meet some people in a semi-rural area. There was a dirt road accessing some hunting spots and government cornfields that cut off the main road and rejoined further up. It had rained a lot in the previous two days and the dirt road was a mud bog. So, being young and stupid, we went four wheeling along the loop over and over again in my Mustang while waiting for our friends. If I'd only had the foresight to take pics. I don't think there's ever been a dirtier Mustang GT that didn't unintentionally go off road.

clyde
12-28-2004, 03:43 PM
This trip was the first one where I actually found the headlamp washers helpful.

Your first real winter experience in the car. :D

They do help melt the ice gunk that forms up there.

Plaz
12-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Ugh...

It took me ~3 hours to make it home from the NH border. It usually takes about 45 minutes. I'm glad we didn't leave any later.

Your drive must have been sucky as hell. Glad you made it ok. What tires are you sporting? I had 225 LM22's all around. Car did very well. I only lost traction on VERY deep stuff while giving the car gas at under 20mph. But as long as I was moving I was fine.

Same here... also sporting LM-22s... though on the 68Ms, with 245s in back. Saw dozens of cars in the ditches... mostly SUVs, predictably. I'd bet big bank they were all on all-seasons, too.

We were keeping score for awhile, but got bored with that. At last count, it was something like 10 SUVs to 4 cars in the ditches.

I used my brakes so infrequently, that when I did need to, they were very spongy. Probably frozen and coated with ice/slush.

FC
12-29-2004, 09:34 AM

Ugh...

Same here... also sporting LM-22s... though on the 68Ms, with 245s in back. Saw dozens of cars in the ditches... mostly SUVs, predictably. I'd bet big bank they were all on all-seasons, too.

We were keeping score for awhile, but got bored with that. At last count, it was something like 10 SUVs to 4 cars in the ditches.

I used my brakes so infrequently, that when I did need to, they were very spongy. Probably frozen and coated with ice/slush.

Same here on the braking. Yup, lots of SUV's in ditches including a X5 4.4 with the 19" stock setup. I am running on M68's too. decided to put the 225's on the wider wheels. It looks kinda funny, but it works. I probably should have kept the stock 245 size. Oh well, next time.

We saw a Mustang (GT/Cobra/SVT???) on wide Z-rated tires. It was quite the spectacle. The poor bastard just kept flooring the gas too. he was moving at about .5mph with the tail swinging like a pendulum. Quite amusing.

The thing that bothered me the most were the morons tailgating me. :roll: :evil:

JST
12-29-2004, 09:51 AM
We saw a Mustang (GT/Cobra/SVT???) on wide Z-rated tires. It was quite the spectacle. The poor bastard just kept flooring the gas too. he was moving at about .5mph with the tail swinging like a pendulum. Quite amusing.

My favorite recollection along those lines was a guy with a spanking new C32 AMG sitting on the slight upgrade after the Roosevelt Bridge, with his tires lazily spinning, spinning, spinning. I dropped my wife off and came back the same way about 25 min. later, and the guy was still there, still trying to get up the ramp by just giving it more gas.

FC
12-29-2004, 10:05 AM

My favorite recollection along those lines was a guy with a spanking new C32 AMG sitting on the slight upgrade after the Roosevelt Bridge, with his tires lazily spinning, spinning, spinning. I dropped my wife off and came back the same way about 25 min. later, and the guy was still there, still trying to get up the ramp by just giving it more gas.

I don't get that. They just expect that the car will all of a sudden get traction? :roll:

rumatt
12-29-2004, 10:50 AM
I washed mine last week when it was above freezing.

Holy crap, it's above freezing now. I might go wash mine today.

Plaz
12-29-2004, 10:53 AM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Doug
12-29-2004, 11:59 AM
lots of construction around here so my car has looked like that for months :cry:

Rob
12-29-2004, 12:29 PM
That would drive me CRAZY!! When I lived in Chicago, I was on a continuous search for the best hand car wash. I think I found it, but they knew they were the best and charged $20 for a basic wash. Other places would do a decent job (without leaving swirl marks) for about $9. For some reason, Chicago has a hand car wash about every other block.

Plaz
12-29-2004, 07:38 PM

So, I washed the car, and learned a lesson about northeast home ownership.

Drain the water out of the hose when it's about to go below freezing.

:paranoid:

dredmo
12-29-2004, 07:45 PM
:lol: :lol:

Plaz, your car is gonna look a lot worse when I finished with you tonight... you too clyde...

You'll need new tailpipes :twisted: :twisted:

clyde
12-29-2004, 08:20 PM

So, I washed the car, and learned a lesson about northeast home ownership.

Drain the water out of the hose when it's about to go below freezing.

:paranoid:

:lol:

You probably also want to close the valve inside the house and bleed it too...

Roadstergal
12-29-2004, 08:26 PM

You were thinking rumatt should go wash his car?

Plaz
12-30-2004, 03:22 AM
You probably also want to close the valve inside the house and bleed it too...

I had closed the valve... but forgot about the water in the hose. :shock: Duh.

I ended up pulling the hose inside enough to hook it up to a threaded hot water tap in the basement drain/utility sink. Took about fifteen minutes for the hot water to melt all the ice and flush its way through. :lol:

dan
12-30-2004, 04:27 AM
it's winter here too.

brrrrr

Weekend Business Traveler Forecast for
Austin, TX (78738)

Friday Dec 31
Mostly Cloudy

High
75°F
Low
61°F

Precip: 20%

Mostly cloudy skies. Warm. High around 75F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday 1
Cloudy

High
77°F
Low
63°F

Precip: 20%

Cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s.

Sunday 2
Isolated T-Storms

High
78°F
Low
63°F

Precip: 30%

Isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s.

nate
12-30-2004, 08:13 AM
(types with one hand)

Today
Dec 30 Partly Cloudy 80°/64° 20 %
Fri
Dec 31 Sunny 79°/63° 10 %
Sat
Jan 01 Partly Cloudy 80°/58° 20 %
Sun
Jan 02 Mostly Cloudy 80°/59° 20 %
Mon
Jan 03 Partly Cloudy 80°/59° 0 %
Tue
Jan 04 Mostly Sunny 80°/58° 10 %
Wed
Jan 05 Sunny 79°/56° 20 %

Leave this morning. Unfortunately, I sliced two fingers badly last night. I don't think that I can play golf. :cry: At least the scenery and ocean will be nice...

Plaz
12-30-2004, 11:52 AM
it's winter here too.

brrrrr.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/violin.gif

Plaz
12-30-2004, 11:54 AM
(types with one hand)

Leave this morning. Unfortunately, I sliced two fingers badly last night. I don't think that I can play golf. :cry: At least the scenery and ocean will be nice...

Yikes... at first I thought you were telling us you were pleasuring yourself to the weather forecast.

How'd you sustain the injury?

rumatt
12-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Our hose is in the garage. Fortunately :speechle: our place is poorly insulated enough that heat leaks into the garage and keeps it semi heated, and the hose stays just above freezing.

I guess there are SOME advantages to having piss-poor insulation.

FC
12-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Our hose is in the garage. Fortunately :speechle: our place is poorly insulated enough that heat leaks into the garage and keeps it semi heated, and the hose stays just above freezing.

I guess there are SOME advantages to having piss-poor insulation.

My garage has the (currently) barely heated basement next to it and the (currently) barely heated family room above it. Both adjacent areas are in the mid to low 50's, yet the garage was in the mid to upper 30's even when it was in the teens outside. Granted the garage doors have some semblance of insulation, but the door to the basement is pretty well sealed.

nate
01-02-2005, 05:36 PM
(types with one hand)

Yikes... at first I thought you were telling us you were pleasuring yourself to the weather forecast.

How'd you sustain the injury?

sharp-ass cheese grater.

Thankfully, a nurse was on scene at the time. Sucks to cut your hand so badly at 11pm the night before a trip. Oh well...it seems to be healing well enough...

TD
01-02-2005, 06:18 PM
You were pleasuring yourself on a cheese grater?!?!

No wonder you got hurt.

rumatt
01-02-2005, 06:21 PM

Reminds me of the expression, "Talking to you is like masturbating with a cheese grater: mildly interesting, but mostly painful."

nate
01-04-2005, 03:18 PM

No wonder you got hurt.

I'm not quite that desperate :lol:

And yea, it hurt like hell.