PDA

View Full Version : Re: Swaybars - Help me with my laziness.

Masskrug
10-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Okay, flame me or whatever, call it lazy (I did), but the reality is that with a job, house, wife, and two little kids all requiring attention and maintenance, I am finding less and less time to work on my cars. These days, I am limited to DIY oil changes, washes and waxes, and little else. Part of it is fatigue, part of it is the loss of the "new-car-I'm-in-love" syndrome.

I read in Vince's post about fitting rubber bushings back onto aftermarket swaybars to reduce maintenance. I am thinking that is a good idea, as my UUC sways on my E46 are squeeking like a mofo. In addition, my rear links have always clunked like crazy, no matter how much I try to adjust them. I am also thinking of bucking up and getting the upgraded links like Plaz did.

Vince or others, what part should I order to fit my sways? I see that you have RD ones; does it matter that I have UUC sways? And you were only able to fit front rubber ones on your car?

Help/advice from anybody is very much appreciated.

scottn2retro
10-23-2003, 10:41 AM
SONET (on fest) just tried lubing the bushings with a heavier grease to try and increase the time between lubes. You may want to check with him on 1) what kind of grease it was he tried and 2) how it's working.

Masskrug
10-23-2003, 12:15 PM
SONET (on fest) just tried lubing the bushings with a heavier grease to try and increase the time between lubes. You may want to check with him on 1) what kind of grease it was he tried and 2) how it's working.

Thank you. I know Rob at UUC recommended using marine grease, so I'll probably try that.

Anyone else have any practical advice?

scottn2retro
10-23-2003, 12:44 PM
When SONET first put in his sway bars, they were set to the most aggressive setting. Shortly after he was getting clunking on the front end - it was the end links. He changed the end links but went to a less aggressive setting on the sway bars and I don't think the problem has returned.

I think it was on Toadfly or B'forums where somebody posted a way to make 'home-made' heavy duty end links.

Masskrug
10-23-2003, 12:50 PM
When SONET first put in his sway bars, they were set to the most aggressive setting. Shortly after he was getting clunking on the front end - it was the end links. He changed the end links but went to a less aggressive setting on the sway bars and I don't think the problem has returned.

I think it was on Toadfly or B'forums where somebody posted a way to make 'home-made' heavy duty end links.

Oooh, great tip. I think I'll try the middle hole for my rears, which are doing the clunking. I currently have them set to the close/full stiff holes.

scottn2retro
10-23-2003, 07:38 PM

Oooh, great tip. I think I'll try the middle hole for my rears, which are doing the clunking. I currently have them set to the close/full stiff holes.

The thing about it is, looking at the end links that came out, there isn't anything visibly that we could see wrong with them, so not one of those things you could tell by inspection.

What they did to determine it was the end links was to disconnect them and drive the car a little. No more clunking.

Masskrug
10-24-2003, 12:35 AM
The thing about it is, looking at the end links that came out, there isn't anything visibly that we could see wrong with them, so not one of those things you could tell by inspection.

What they did to determine it was the end links was to disconnect them and drive the car a little. No more clunking.

I bought some marine grease tonight. It has aluminum in it. I am crazy busy this weekend though, and may not get around to lubing and adjusting them.

Thanks for the tips and experience; I'll post again here when I can get under the car.

RKT BMR
10-26-2003, 09:46 AM

I bought some marine grease tonight. It has aluminum in itMarine grease... Hmmm... does this mean I'll be able to "James Bond" my car and hovercraft across the Monterey Bay after I lube my 'barbarians with the stuff?

Is that what that little button blank is for on my control module above the ashtray? Just hook it up, add some marine grease, and when pressed the wheels pop out, flip 90deg to be flat-horizontal, and the hovercraft mode is engaged?

;)

Masskrug
10-27-2003, 01:31 PM

I bought some marine grease tonight. It has aluminum in itMarine grease... Hmmm... does this mean I'll be able to "James Bond" my car and hovercraft across the Monterey Bay after I lube my 'barbarians with the stuff?

Is that what that little button blank is for on my control module above the ashtray? Just hook it up, add some marine grease, and when pressed the wheels pop out, flip 90deg to be flat-horizontal, and the hovercraft mode is engaged?

;)

Heheheh.

You're just jealous. Marine grease is :cool:

SONET
10-27-2003, 06:59 PM
The grease I put on my bushings is called RONEX MP, by Exxon. It claims to be 'Premium high-temp grease' and the listed applications include 'automotive, industrial, farm & marine'.

The white lithium grease that I had been using before didn't have nearly as much body to it and only lasted a couple weeks. It has only been a week or two since I put it on, so it's too early to say how this stuff will work, but I'm thinking this might work better.

As for the endlinks, I think they are failing again (now that the creak is gone I can hear them). At least I know what it is this time and don't have to pay $220 to have it diagnosed, but... it still sucks. :(

Good luck, hope you found something that lasts!

--SONET

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Masskrug,

sorry for the late reply and that I totally missed this thread. :oops:

RD sways did not come with the adjustable links. So Kaz and I had no choice but to pry out the factory ones and fit those onto the RD sways. Luckily, the RD set did provide two bolts that will fit into the factory rubber bushings.

One thing you must be aware is that once you pry the factory end links from the factory sway, the rubber will no longer hold. BMW actually has a special adhesive for keeping the rubber bushings stationary, though I am not sure what's the part number.

I had my own share of clunks as well due to the fact that the rubber bushings kept slipping! But it was resolved with the purchase of two hexagonal collars from McMaster Carr (online hardware store). The collars were placed on the bolts to prevent the slippage. I posted a picture of this somewhere...if you can't find it, email me and I will send you the pic.

It's been almost 2 years now and several track schools later, and still no sway clunks whatsoever.

Masskrug
10-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks to ptg, sonet, vince! You've all given me some ideas to work with. Now all I need to do is find some time.

1. Sonet - when you said your 'new' endlinks failed, were those the 'upgraded' ones already? (I'm not familiar with your saga; I'll listen if you feel like filling me in).

2. Vince - are you talking about the swaybar bushings? or the endlinks? I'm wondering about fitting in rubber bushings instead of the PU ones.

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-28-2003, 10:07 PM
2. Vince - are you talking about the swaybar bushings? or the endlinks? I'm wondering about fitting in rubber bushings instead of the PU ones.

Hrm...nope, I was referring to the rubber bushings at the end of the factory end links. ;) Tell you what...when you decide to start working on the sways again, give me or Kaz a shout.

Masskrug
10-28-2003, 11:22 PM

Hrm...nope, I was referring to the rubber bushings at the end of the factory end links. ;) Tell you what...when you decide to start working on the sways again, give me or Kaz a shout.

Thanks for your generous offer.

When I can find some time to get under the car, I'll drop a line here. I seemed to be under the impression that you used the rubber bushings that fit in the bushing brackets in the 'middle' of the car.

Mr Paddle.Shift
11-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Kaz and I used the M3 27mm rubber bushings for the fronts. We're still looking for something similar for the rears. There is a very slight difference when I switched from urethane (stiffer) to rubber (less stiff). I just got tired of hearing the squeaks and having to lube the urethane bushings. To make things worst, now that I have the intercooler pipings down there, it's more challenging to reach the bushing brackets. So rubber bushings. :P

Thanks for your generous offer.

When I can find some time to get under the car, I'll drop a line here. I seemed to be under the impression that you used the rubber bushings that fit in the bushing brackets in the 'middle' of the car.

Masskrug
11-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Kaz and I used the M3 27mm rubber bushings for the fronts. We're still looking for something similar for the rears. There is a very slight difference when I switched from urethane (stiffer) to rubber (less stiff). I just got tired of hearing the squeaks and having to lube the urethane bushings. To make things worst, now that I have the intercooler pipings down there, it's more challenging to reach the bushing brackets. So rubber bushings. :P

Hmmm. UUS Sway Barbarians (which I have) are 25.4 mm diameter for the front. I see you have the RD which are 26.98mm, so really quite a good fit for the M3 27mm bushings.

I don't think that the M3 bushings would fit the UUC bars. :cry:

Any suggestions or have you heard of anyone else who has done something similar to fit UUC bars?

Mr Paddle.Shift
11-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Actually, my bad. The M3 rubber bushings are 26mm each. So they should work for your 25.4mm.

part number: 31.35.2.229.756

Hmmm. UUS Sway Barbarians (which I have) are 25.4 mm diameter for the front. I see you have the RD which are 26.98mm, so really quite a good fit for the M3 27mm bushings.

Any suggestions or have you heard of anyone else who has done something similar to fit UUC bars?

The HACK
11-04-2003, 03:55 PM

Get the M3 rubber bushings, and wrap a sh*t load of teflon tape over the bar to make sure that the rubber grips onto the bar.

Masskrug
11-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Actually, my bad. The M3 rubber bushings are 26mm each. So they should work for your 25.4mm.

part number: 31.35.2.229.756

Thank you Vince. I will order two of these.

I don't remember how they fit on the bar? Are the 'pull apart and squeeze on' like the PU bushings or do you 'thread' them down from the end?

The HACK
11-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Are the 'pull apart and squeeze on' like the PU bushings...

Yes.

Masskrug
11-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Are the 'pull apart and squeeze on' like the PU bushings...

Yes.

Thank you.