PDA

View Full Version : I'm almost certain I am selling my 190E

FC
12-23-2004, 07:26 PM
After lots of work and $350 to make the exhaust system as new and finally hearing that awesome I-6 again, I had a rude awakening yesterday.

I went over a bump right after work and one of the right wheels (front?) made a weird vibration before it settled a couple of seconds later. This has been happening for over a year (since last year's Xmas drive to Montreal when my suspension took a beating) but never as bad. I decided to take the backroads so if something went wrong it happened at 35mph not 80.

Regardless, as I was driving back I realized my headlights don't iluminate as well as they once did (I think there is not enough voltage getting there), my horn doesn't work, my windshield washer jets don't work, and my rear brakes are practically inactive, etc, etc.

Maybe it was that I just had not driven the car in so long that I had forgotten just how much was wrong with it. I don't know.

The truth is, I'm sure that with time and about 1K, most of these problems can be fixed. But frankly, I'm done. I've just had it and it really is not the right 2nd car. If it were a an old wagon or SUV, then I'd probably do it. But if I spend all this time and money, in the end I end up with a 2nd car that is still an old compact sedan with no fold down seats, RWD and with a crappy automatic.

It sucks that I went through all this work on the exhaust, but I learned quite a bit. I figure as far as selling it, as much as is wrong with it, the drivetrain is in excellent shape and cosmetically it looks good in and out. At least the car runs great, whereas trying to sell a car with all the same issues PLUS essentially no exhaust system is simply not happening (Midas would have charged 1K just for the exhaust work).

I think I'll sell it for $2500 obo including my second set of wheels with blizzaks and a custom made premium car cover ( :roll: ).

I'm sad ( :( :? :roll: ), but it is time. 4.5 years, 80K miles. I'll miss my first car. :cry:

operknockity
12-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Regardless, as I was driving back I realized my headlights don't iluminate as well as they once did (I think there is not enough voltage getting there), my horn doesn't work, my windshield washer jets don't work, and my rear brakes are practically inactive, etc, etc.
If it's not one thing, it's another....

Your car's name wouldn't by any chance be Richard Fader and it wouldn't happen to have been manufactured in Fort Lee NJ, would it??????

http://members.tripod.com/~RoseanneRosannadanna/Gilda.jpg

rumatt
12-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Put a fork in it.

Seems like it's time to go. Not necessarily based on the car, but based on your frustration. Once it's not fun keeping it around any more, it's not worth it.

FC
12-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Put a fork in it.

Seems like it's time to go. Not necessarily based on the car, but based on your frustration. Once it's not fun keeping it around any more, it's not worth it.

That's exactly it. It's not fun anymore. I'll keep the great memories.

lemming
12-23-2004, 08:23 PM
i'm sure that none of us and our fiendish car-appetites are helping you, either.

:P

FC
12-23-2004, 08:45 PM
i'm sure that none of us and our fiendish car-appetites are helping you, either.

That's fer sure. :mad:

What is the most effective and inexpensive way to sell a car nowadays? I`ve never sold a car before. :paranoid:

FC
12-23-2004, 08:46 PM

Your car's name wouldn't by any chance be Richard Fader and it wouldn't happen to have been manufactured in Fort Lee NJ, would it??????

:?: :?

operknockity
12-23-2004, 09:33 PM

:?: :?
It sounded just like the dialog from a Roseanne Rosannadanna bit on SNL...

A Mr Richard Fader from Fort Lee, New Jersey writes in and says, "Dear Roseanne Rosannadanna, Last Thursday I quit smoking. Now I'm depressed, my face broke out, I'm nauseas, I'm constipated, my cheeks swell, my gums are bleeding, my sinuses are clogged, I got heart burn, and I got gas. What should I do?"

clyde
12-23-2004, 09:36 PM

What is the most effective and inexpensive way to sell a car nowadays? I`ve never sold a car before. :paranoid:

For a beater like that? Autotrader, word of mouth (any people at work that might be interested?), for sale sign in window, curb it in hig visibility locations...

FC
12-23-2004, 09:39 PM

For a beater like that? Autotrader, word of mouth (any people at work that might be interested?), for sale sign in window, curb it in hig visibility locations...

I was going to use the word of mouth, for sale sign, and the work intranet classifieds at work (me an dmy wife). I'll see how that goes. If necessary I'll move on to autotrader.

Thanks.

clyde
12-23-2004, 09:49 PM
I was going to use the word of mouth, for sale sign, and the work intranet classifieds at work (me an dmy wife). I'll see how that goes. If necessary I'll move on to autotrader.

There are other people on this board that live in your general area that probably also work with even more people, too...

zach
12-23-2004, 10:03 PM

There are other people on this board that live in your general area that probably also work with even more people, too...

I'll put it up on our company bulletin board if you want.

FC
12-23-2004, 11:33 PM

I'll put it up on our company bulletin board if you want.

Thanks man.

ZBB
12-24-2004, 12:17 AM
I had a similar experience with my first car (really a truck) -- a '65 Landcruiser. It had been in my family since '79, and I got it in '88. Being that old and with extremely low mileage (<60k in '88), it would regularly have something go wrong every 4-6 months, requiring $200-$500 to fix each time. But by '92 the frequency of repairs was increasing -- and it was starting to cost about $500 every month or two to keep it on the road. So I decided to sell it.

The day before I sold it, I picked it up from the shop (new ignition), and was driving it around thinking how nice it was when it ran well (and it was perfect that day). I knew then that I had made the right decision. And I'll never forget the last few drives in it.

Sounds like your making the right decision on you 190E...

FC
12-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys...

Now the question of how much do I sell it for. Here's the condition:

-The interior is almost as new except for the shifter knob (really, that good).
-The paint has its small issues, but with a good detail, it would look VERY good for such an old car.
-Engine, exhaust are perfect. Tranny is tricky when cold but after it works great.
-All alectrical motors work (windoes, sunroof, seats, antenna) with the exception of the windshield washer jets.
-All tires (including blizzaks) are good for another 3 years.
-OEM alternator & shocks, K&N filter, belts, complete valve seal job, tranny fluid change, brake lines done in the past 30K miles.
-Sony CD player and custom car cover
-Now what doesn't work. Odometer, washer jets, horn, rear brakes (fronts are perfect), O2 sensor (dummy engine light on), medium coolant leak (not radiator), headligths don't seem as bright as they used to be, steering is very vague. An audiophile would want to replace the speakers and cd player.

kbb.com under "fair" with 185K miles has it as $2000 private party. Edmunds has it for $1000 :? .

I think want to get $2K considering nothing major is wrong and it has a lot of expensive stuff already fixed, and extra goodies.

If someone is willing to put 1-2K into it, they'd have a VERY nice mercedes benz that looks awesome.

Thoughts? advice?

Nick M3
12-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Inflate the value as much as is possible and donate the stupid thing. You'd be an idiot to sell a car with that much wrong with it to someone who's going to have your name, address, and phone number.

clyde
12-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Inflate the value as much as is possible and donate the stupid thing. You'd be an idiot to sell a car with that much wrong with it to someone who's going to have your name, address, and phone number.

If I were him, I'd donate it too, but selling beaters with problems isn't a big deal if you sell them to people that know/understand what they're buying...

FC
12-24-2004, 04:44 PM

If I were him, I'd donate it too, but selling beaters with problems isn't a big deal if you sell them to people that know/understand what they're buying...

It will be sold "as is" with whatever waiver/release form I must make the buyer sign because this year we wont itemize deductions (I'm pretty sure). We'll itimize starting next year.

If that wont work, I'll sell enough parts to get 2K out of it and junk the carcass.

dan
12-24-2004, 04:49 PM
It will be sold "as is" with whatever waiver/release form I must make the buyer sign because this year we wont itemize deductions.

you don't have to donate things just to take advantage of a tax deduction

FC
12-24-2004, 05:11 PM
It will be sold "as is" with whatever waiver/release form I must make the buyer sign because this year we wont itemize deductions.

you don't have to donate things just to take advantage of a tax deduction

Really? In that case, I'll just donate this car and pull it's replacement out of my ass.

Nick M3
12-24-2004, 05:37 PM
This year? What about 2005?

bren
12-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Mbr you'll need to itemize to take advantage of any taxes for your mortgage and/or the financing. Did you pay any points on the loan? Or make any payements this year? If not you only have to wait a week for 2005 :D

FC
12-24-2004, 07:22 PM

The law changes starting Jan 1st 2005. You can only deduct the value that car actually sells for at auction.

FC
12-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Mbr you'll need to itemize to take advantage of any taxes for your mortgage and/or the financing. Did you pay any points on the loan? Or make any payements this year? If not you only have to wait a week for 2005 :D

We can only deduct one month's worth of interest (Dec 1st payment), and I have not done all the math yet, but I believe it works out best if we file separately this year. I'll do the math when I get back to Boston.

clyde
12-24-2004, 07:30 PM

The law changes starting Jan 1st 2005. You can only deduct the value that car actually sells for at auction.

IRS brochure (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/pub4303.pdf) for the new rules.

BahnBaum
12-24-2004, 07:45 PM

IRS brochure (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/pub4303.pdf) for the new rules.Unless you can get them to use the vehicle, rather then sell it at auction...

Alex

clyde
12-24-2004, 07:53 PM

IRS brochure (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/pub4303.pdf) for the new rules.Unless you can get them to use the vehicle, rather then sell it at auction...

Alex

To do that, you're going to have to make a lot more of an effort than listening to a radio station for more than 5 minutes and copying down the phone number of the first one to advertise and then calling them.

And I think that's the point of the change.

BahnBaum
12-24-2004, 07:56 PM
This is going to seriously hurt the charities. I imagine a lot of people who donated cars only did so because the inflated value made the deduction worthwhile. Considering that they'll prolly go at auction for a fraction of the tax benefit people used to get, I bet lots choose to sell them now.

Alex

Mathew
12-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Really? In that case, I'll just donate this car and pull it's replacement out of my ass.

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:

ZBB
12-25-2004, 10:58 AM

We can only deduct one month's worth of interest (Dec 1st payment), and I have not done all the math yet, but I believe it works out best if we file separately this year. I'll do the math when I get back to Boston.

When you do the math, be sure to look through your closing statement -- you'll also be able to deduct interest paid at closing (from closing date to your Dec 1 payment), and any property taxes paid at closing. Also, if you make your Jan 1 payment in Dec this year, you could deduct the interest in that payment (would need to pay online to make sure the lender receives and posts it by Dec 31).

But you may still be better off with the standard deduction if you file separately though (and if you are, make sure the Jan 1 payment is paid in Jan to get that deduction on your 2005 taxes).

FC
12-25-2004, 11:40 AM

When you do the math, be sure to look through your closing statement -- you'll also be able to deduct interest paid at closing (from closing date to your Dec 1 payment), and any property taxes paid at closing. Also, if you make your Jan 1 payment in Dec this year, you could deduct the interest in that payment (would need to pay online to make sure the lender receives and posts it by Dec 31).

But you may still be better off with the standard deduction if you file separately though (and if you are, make sure the Jan 1 payment is paid in Jan to get that deduction on your 2005 taxes).

We closed on Oct 29th, so we only paid 2 days of interest. The Jan 1st payment is scheduled for January. But I appreciate the advice. I am almost sure that filing separately would be best. Even if I were to reconfigure everything for this year, we would probably barely have more itemized decutions than standard deductions, and since my wife has only worke dfor under 4 months, or combined income would not be at a high enough tax bracket to really reap the benefits.

Regardless, my car is so old that it could not be valued at more than 3K no matter how you slice it and I'm pretty sure I could get $1500 without much trouble. That clearly would be more than any tax benefit.