PDA

View Full Version : List the items/parts you bought and never got to use as much

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-22-2003, 01:49 PM
1. K&N recharge kit $12.00

originally for my Dinan CAI filter. What a waste of $12.00. Used once and it was a hassle.

2. X5 4.6 rear sway bushings. $4.00

So I told Kaz that these rubber ones might fit on our 24mm RD rear sway. We are both tired of the urethane squeaking every 4~5months or so. I ordered them and they are not even close.

3. Amber reflectors $4.00

When I ordered my clears from Circle BMW 2 years ago, the parts guy insisted that I needed to get the reflectors cos it's the LAW. The reflectors are somewhere in the store room. Probably seen daylight once.

4. Griots Car Duster $20?

Don't even know why I bought this. Used twice. Didn't quite like it. Not Griot's fault. I was being foolish. Car gets dusty in LA every single second. What's the use of dusting anyway?

5. Diaper cloths $4

Not for me. Don't have kids either. I bought these from PepBoys. Don't stone me just yet. I wasn't thinking when I stepped into the store at 7am on my way to wash the car. Now the diaper cloths are used to clean the hamster cage. Bleh.

6. T-30 socket $3.50 or so

Ah...why do I need this? Some paddle-shift customers have the 4-spoke wheel. Way to release the airbag is to use a T-30 bit. This Craftman socket has a fat base that couldn't fit into the hole on the back of the steering wheel. I tried using it but never once successfully. Waste of money. I ended up accomplishing the job with another similar bit without the base.

7. Euro First aid kit $25?

Gotta be careful here. Not that I am looking forward to using this. But once Lin had a cut on her thumb. First intuition was to look for a plaster in my wallet, not look under the passenger's seat for the first aid kit. Strange. It's been there for so long that I don't even remember it exists!

8. Sparco Neck Collar $80!!!

Thought I really needed this. Tried it California Speedway and didn't like it. Went to Buttonwillow and tried again, still don't like it. Lent it to Andy WRX (friend of mine) and he didn't like it! I wore it around the house while watching TV, reading, eating...still I can't get used to it. So...it's official that this is not a very likable item. Argh!

EDIT
9. Airhorns $35

Raffi had a group buy with this. Bought it then decided not to install. It occupied my storage space for 2.5 months before I sold to James. Phew.

And many many more..... I need another day to compile... :D

The HACK
10-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Rear foglight LCM console...Bought it, still intend on installing rear fogs but too freakin' busy to install. Been sitting in my car ever since.

Rear bumper guide rail...FINALLY installed it this past weekend. I broke my guide rail a long time ago, just the part that the fender attaches to. Bought a new one but never installed it. Last weekend when I put on my factory aero bumpers I finally decided enough is enough...Just to find out I need one of those square metal tabs that the screw attach to.

2.5 ton cheapo-jack...Now that I have the AC Hydraulics, this thing never sees any use. I'm thinking of giving it to Stuka.

Griots Undercarriage spray...Good product, have no use for it.

Griots carnauba paste wax...Excellent product. Only used it on the BBS wheels. Haven't had time to detail all three car with this stuff.

14mm hex key bit, 1/4" drive...Thought it would be nice to have to adjust the bumper height. Adjusted it once. Never used again.

UUC Delrin shift carrier bushing...Came with the kit. Installation was going to be too hard so I never bothered...Although I installed it on everyone else's car.

SpaceMonk
10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
I've bought a neck collar that I haven't even used. So far, my helmet hasn't bothered me, even with two days in a row at the track following an autocross this past weekend. I didn't spend that much though. :paranoid:

I'm sure there's plenty more, I just have to think about it...

dan
10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
car duster here too.

dumb.

Masskrug
10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
car duster here too.

dumb.

Duster is great used 3x/week. Keeps the car cleaner/ shinier between washings.

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. I am beginning to hope that this thread will somehow help each other find the items/parts we might need in exchange.

Bonoboy, that car duster is just occupying space in the corner. If only I can shrink it into a penny size.

TD
10-22-2003, 02:25 PM
-Urethane bushings for my stock M3 sway bars - decided ride is harsh enough

-UUC delrin clutch arm bushings - intimidated by the install process and too cheap to pay someone else to do it

-VEN4 line in adapter - sold E46 before I got a chance to "fix" the stereo

BTW, I'd happily part with any of these items. Make me an offer.

operknockity
10-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Ditto on the duster.

Since I'm realtively new to this level of auto enthusiasm, I don't have unused car stuff.

But I've got a boatload of computer parts and software that I've purchased over the years that has never seen the light of day.

Doug
10-22-2003, 02:38 PM
I hate to say it but I've used everything I've bought for my cars. I do a lot of research prior to getting anything.

Terri Kennedy
10-22-2003, 02:44 PM
List the items/parts you bought and never got to use as much.
o Three "oddments trays", all identical except for BMW part numbers, that allegedly fit my 17" spare tire (they do, but very loosely - I'm thinking of having some made and selling 'em), along with the assorted cone inserts and wing nuts.

o Various replacement trim pices for the hatch opening, which were broken from the factory. I just haven't gotten up the energy to disassemble the car enough to install 'em.

o Various brackets for the electronics bay - TV / phone / PDC bracket and some others I don't recognize off-hand.

o A bunch of extra cupholders left over from my illuminated cupholder project.

o A CPT8000 eject box, bought when I was going to replace the one the dealer broke instead of converting back to cupholders.

o A Euro LCM, minus faceplate (I used the faceplate for my rear fog project).

o Many original parts removed when I upgraded (wood trim, non-M steering wheel, manual folding mirrors, and so forth).

o California car duster.

o Several bins of many assorted BMW screws, clips, and electrical parts - here's a sample:

http://www.tmk.com/garage2/6F5S1738-s.JPG

ayn
10-22-2003, 02:50 PM
PS2, LogicTech steering wheel, and games, all my friends love it though... i rarely play...

have a huge bottle of TurtleWax ZIP carwash, was gonna use it for the Corolla, but never washed that car much, my girlfriend sold that car last week so now it has no use. I use Griot's and P21S products on the E46 and the MINI.

an extra M68s rear rim with very light scratch, it's sitting in my garage, and I don't have M68s on my car anymore...

LilE gave me the clear front bumper reflectors, I didn't feel like using them, gave them to Jimmy and he loves it...

MINI-FINI (extra large cup holder for the MINI), it came with the car in 2004 models, we hated it, I took it out as soon as we got home after delivery. I went to the MINI meet last Sunday and some girl was interested in buying it from us though... we'll see... apparently some ppl really like that...

--Andrew

dan
10-22-2003, 02:54 PM
MINI-FINI (extra large cup holder for the MINI), it came with the car in 2004 models, we hated it, I took it out as soon as we got home after delivery. I went to the MINI meet last Sunday and some girl was interested in buying it from us though... we'll see... apparently some ppl really like that...

--Andrew

I'll buy it! My wife is dying for it and I was going to have to drive to S.A. for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ayn
10-22-2003, 03:09 PM

--Andrew

I'll buy it! My wife is dying for it and I was going to have to drive to S.A. for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r u serious? Jackie Lee-Kang wanted it, she said she would email me but I haven't received any mails from her... i think Sherry wants to sell it too, let me ask her... I think it's only like $35 or so... we will go to SA to get new keys when they come in, if she doesnt wanna sell hers, I can pick one up for you...

--Andrew

dan
10-22-2003, 03:16 PM
r u serious? Jackie Lee-Kang wanted it, she said she would email me but I haven't received any mails from her... i think Sherry wants to sell it too, let me ask her... I think it's only like $35 or so... we will go to SA to get new keys when they come in, if she doesnt wanna sell hers, I can pick one up for you...

--Andrew

sounds great--I don't want to horn in on Jackie's cupholder if she wants it too.

Why does Sherry need new keys?

ayn
10-22-2003, 03:19 PM
[quote=ayn]
sounds great--I don't want to horn in on Jackie's cupholder if she wants it too.

Why does Sherry need new keys?

The remotes don't work, we can't lock/unlock the MINI with our keys (remotely)... Dealer ordered new keys, but it's been almost 3 weeks and still no words from their parts dept. My MA is on Yahoo IM and we IM each other all the time, plus MINI NA still hasn't called us, and I think he does *need* all 5's when they call... :D

The good thing is that dealer agreed to program my rearfog free of charge when they program the new keys... the rear fog kit should be here today or tomorrow...

--Andrew

Melissa
10-22-2003, 04:17 PM
I have mud guards that Jake got for my car but has since refused to install. He thinks they are ugly. I think they are worthy with my red paint and the number of miles I put on and the road conditions around here.

Can I borrow a glue stick from someone? :P

Rob
10-22-2003, 08:57 PM
34 or 36 mm socket for the oil filter on the e46 (don't remember the size for sure, but it was big)- got rid of the car before I used it and sold the socket to Doughboy.

Brake bleeder - hope to use it this weekend or next

AC 2.5 ton jack - it has the potential to ruin the epxoy garage floor, so I got one of those light weight aluminum ones. Consider the aluminum one a piece of junk too. Someday I will have 3 floor jacks.

Various filters and such - they were on sale and I thought it was a good idea. Will I ever change my own hypo allergenic filters? Probably as soon as I am faced with taking the time for a diy inspection or paying ridiculous labor rates. How about the fuel filter? Well, as long as I am going to have the car up . . .

Boar's hair wheel brush - love the brush for the car and thought it might work on the smooth e36 wheels. Big mistake - it doesn't touch BMW brake dust. (willing to sell this cheap if anyone uses low dust pads and wants it)

Rogue Engineering short shift kit - already had the B&M kit, wanted to install the B&M kit when they hosted the tech session, but the Rogue deal was too good to pass up. I still want to try it, but the install is daunting for me. Frankly, I am a little afraid of dropping the transmission if it's necessary.

Roadstergal
10-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Trim. I sold it for what I paid for it, luckily.

Other than that, I haven't put anything in the car I've regretted. The shock tower brace on the Miata doesn't do $hit that I can tell with the rollbar in, but I got it for free.

Terri Kennedy
10-22-2003, 09:02 PM
AC 2.5 ton jack - it has the potential to ruin the epxoy garage floor, so I got one of those light weight aluminum ones. Consider the aluminum one a piece of junk too. Someday I will have 3 floor jacks.
Did you get your AC from Ultimate Garage? When I visited Steve in mid-August, he was working on getting some new wheels made which were rubber instead of the hard plastic. You might want to check and see if he's finished that project.

Rob
10-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Did you get your AC from Ultimate Garage? When I visited Steve in mid-August, he was working on getting some new wheels made which were rubber instead of the hard plastic. You might want to check and see if he's finished that project.

Sorry about this - I meant cheap AC/Delco jack from a generic auto parts store. I needed a jack to put the snow tires on the e46 when I was still in Chicago, so I went out and got one.

SCA
10-22-2003, 09:38 PM
I purchased the E46 M3 decklid spoiler for the 330Ci. I sold it.

I have all new shocks/struts, control arms, thrust arms, sway bar links, rear strut mounts, all new gaskets, bump stops, protection tubes and a guibo for the E34 525i. I've had them sitting around for maybe 6 months.

Terri Kennedy
10-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Sorry about this - I meant cheap AC/Delco jack from a generic auto parts store. I needed a jack to put the snow tires on the e46 when I was still in Chicago, so I went out and got one.Oh. Ok, no problem.

GimpyMcFarlan
10-22-2003, 11:21 PM
He thinks they are ugly.

I can understand why he thinks they are ugly, but IMHO they are essential. I believe they blend in with the wheels and fender well better than most designs. If you really want to go all out, have them painted a matching red! :cool: My salesman said he had someone request during an order once.

The HACK
10-22-2003, 11:46 PM
-Urethane bushings for my stock M3 sway bars - decided ride is harsh enough

-UUC delrin clutch arm bushings - intimidated by the install process and too cheap to pay someone else to do it

-VEN4 line in adapter - sold E46 before I got a chance to "fix" the stereo

BTW, I'd happily part with any of these items. Make me an offer.

Dude I'll trade you my delrin carrier bushings for those clutch bushings, if they work on the E46 Clutch.

Eric Giles
10-23-2003, 12:00 PM
I have all new shocks/struts, control arms, thrust arms, sway bar links, rear strut mounts, all new gaskets, bump stops, protection tubes and a guibo for the E34 525i. I've had them sitting around for maybe 6 months.

And if you would get your butt down here to MS I would install it for you!! :thumbup:

I don't see that happening anytime soon though....lol

Melissa
10-23-2003, 12:23 PM
He thinks they are ugly.

I can understand why he thinks they are ugly, but IMHO they are essential. I believe they blend in with the wheels and fender well better than most designs. If you really want to go all out, have them painted a matching red! :cool: My salesman said he had someone request during an order once.

I prefer the look without them, but I don't think the guards are ugly, either. Sometimes function is more important, considering all the factors. But, for now, they are collecting dust. They may end up for sale soon enough.

SCA
10-23-2003, 03:32 PM

And if you would get your butt down here to MS I would install it for you!! :thumbup:

I don't see that happening anytime soon though....lol

You know that I'm not so certain Old Whitey would make it down there and back. Plus that would consist of my employer giving me some time off. lol

Eric Giles
10-23-2003, 04:06 PM
I don't know where to even start listing all of the parts I have purchased for my former '90 325iS or current '90 M3 and never/not yet installed. Here are some off the top of my head:

1. OEM E30 M-Technic 2 bodykit. Spent close to three years wanting the entire kit and about that long trying to find one. For those of you that don't know, this kit is VERY hard (and highly sought after) to get as it was only available in the US on '91-'92 E30 convertibles-either being a true M-Technic 325iC or a 325iC with the M-Technic appearance package. It was an option in Europe and is easier to find there. Earlier this year I finally got all the pieces. Within a few months I sold the 325iS (without even installing the kit) and bought the E30 M3. I have sold the rear wing and the side skirts/side panels, but I still have the front bumper, front airdam, and rear bumper/apron. They are forsale if anyone is interested!!

2. E30 rear trailing arm bushings. I bought these for the 325 when I was installing new subframe bushings. The subframe bushings were such a PITA that I was too tired to do the trailing arms! I will probably install them on the E30 M3 as they use the same part (and I think this is the only rear suspension bushing that has not yet been replaced).

3. E30 differential side seals.

4. E30 differential carrier bushing.

5. E30 M3 EVO III hood and front bumper seals-I will probably finally install them tomorrow as I have a car show I am entering it in.

6. E36 M3 OEM front bumper spoiler. M3's with luxury package did not come with this, and since I like the way it looks I purchased one. I have got to find some time to install it!

7. E36 brake handle assembly. I bought this piece new from someone hoping to pull off the leather handle portion to install in the E30 M3. I cannot get it off the metal handle! It is for sale if also-$45.

8. E30 M3 accelerator/Bowden cable. I ordered the wrong part from the dealer :( I kept it since it was my mistake. Should have returned it....

There are more parts lying around the house, but that is all I can think of right now...

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Boar's hair wheel brush - love the brush for the car and thought it might work on the smooth e36 wheels. Big mistake - it doesn't touch BMW brake dust. (willing to sell this cheap if anyone uses low dust pads and wants it)

Really?? I am thinking of getting one to clean my Alpina wheels. But didn't Griot's advertise the brush to be used on wheels? :?

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Eric,

I think I might have found a buyer for your E30 bits. Stay around. Will get back to ya. :smile:

RKT BMR
10-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Gawd! One thing I can truly say about this thread... It makes me feel much better about myself! I thought I was somewhat unique in pissing away $ on stuff that never seems to get installed, or is redundant, or... whatever. Most of the junk^H^H^H^Hstuff usually finds its way on the the RKT eventually, but laziness does take its toll...
E46 M3 front strut tower brace, purchased with the group buy on that other board... The bypass valve connection on my ESS Supercharger is in the way. Can't decide if I want to try and engineer a redesign of the bypass connection, or sell the brace. Probably won't get around to addressing this until bimmerfest looms next April, and I have to really think about showing off (can't show up without anything new since last year!) US-spec E46 convertible alarm system. Bought it, then found out about the Euro-spec system with motion sensors, bought one of those, so the US version is surplus now. If only I'd had the P/N's for the motion sensors, I could have just obtained the missing pieces. Sigh... spare parts now, I suppose. Griots dusters, both the big one, and the little one. Sit in the trunk of my car, get used maybe twice a year. After all, the RKT's garaged at night, and covered religiously with the OEM BMW cover virtually all the rest of the time (I put that thing on and take it off frequently twice a day, with trips out for lunch during workdays). As such, the car doesn't get dusty. I'm skilled enough with the cover now that it takes me a grand total of three minutes to put it on, or take it off and neatly fold it, then put it in the trunk. Various assorted cleaning/detailing products, particularly waxes, tire dressings, window cleaners. As with many people, I tried a lot of different things at first, following recommendations of others, etc. Finally settled on Griots products, and am still quite a fan today (the wheel cleaner impressed me significantly this weekend, but that's a different thread). So, I have a graveyard consisting of 3 boxes of products that I never use, and am slowly giving away. Griots 100% cotton big red/white drying towels (3), and smaller black/white wax removal towels (3). Absolute crap. The worst purchase I've ever made from Griots. Now used as masking material when cleaning the interior. UUC Delrin shift carrier bushings (is there a pattern here?) HACK, guess you forgot that we lazied out on mine too when you installed my UUC SSK. May still put them in some day.This has been a very interesting thread. It cries out for a companion thread about the things we don't have but cars are crying out for. Think I'll start one... ;)

GimpyMcFarlan
10-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Griots 100% cotton big red/white drying towels (3), and smaller black/white wax removal towels (3). Absolute crap. The worst purchase I've ever made from Griots. Now used as masking material when cleaning the interior.

I agree. I'm very dissapointed in these Griots towels. The don't absorb water worth a damn. They sit in my trunk unused most of the time. I only bring them out in emergencies if I have nothing else to use.

I purchased the electronic bits to do the City Lights, but I got cold feet when I discovered that you need to drill into the headlight housing.

RKT BMR
10-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Griots 100% cotton big red/white drying towels (3), and smaller black/white wax removal towels (3). Absolute crap. The worst purchase I've ever made from Griots. Now used as masking material when cleaning the interior.

I agree. I'm very dissapointed in these Griots towels. The don't absorb water worth a damn. They sit in my trunk unused most of the time. I only bring them out in emergencies if I have nothing else to use.Matches my experience precisely. Cheapo white cotton terry from PepBoys does a better job.

Confoundingly, the Griots MF waffle-weave towels are da bomb, and I love 'em! I can just about dry my entire car (sans cloth top), with a single towel. The hand pockets are a nice touch. I've got three, and never have to use more than two when drying.

Given that Griots could stay in business with me as their sole customer ;) , I should contact them about these cotton towels and ask for a swap (I can always use more of plush MF towels).

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-27-2003, 12:12 AM
I have the red/white Griot's polish towels. I thought they are pretty good? No? :dunno:

Anyway, washed my car today and forced myself to use the duster. So Cal is being hazed by the fire all day. :(