PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of NAV systems

operknockity
10-22-2003, 12:37 PM
I did not get NAV on my car because for the most part I don't really need it and paper maps are generally good enough.

But lately I've been thinking about getting a handheld NAV (beacuse I don't have enough gadgets cluttering up the car)....

What should I be looking for in a portable NAV unit?
Any recommendations for/against any particular units?

Masskrug
10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
I did not get NAV on my car because for the most part I don't really need it and paper maps are generally good enough.

But lately I've been thinking about getting a handheld NAV (beacuse I don't have enough gadgets cluttering up the car)....

I've seen the Garmin iQue at the local REI. PDA/Nav in one. Looks slick. Garmin doesn't seem to suggest any compatiblity with Mac's though, so I never bit.

operknockity
10-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Not sure I need a combo PDA/NAV, but I might swing in to REI and take a look at it. Haven't been to REI in months and it's always fun to pop in there and look at all the cool camping equipment.

3LOU5
10-22-2003, 11:35 PM

I have a three-year old Garmin GPS III Plus handheld. I just place it on the dash, and because it has a rubber bottom, doesn't slide around too much. The reason I said "too much" is because when I take a pretty sharp turn at speed, well.....

:roll:

Anyway, this unit is a great introduction to the world of GPS. I've taken it on boat trips, plane trips (well, after 9/11, they started prohibiting its use on flights) and of course, car trips. I spend a lot of time on the road and find that it's quite helpful (if not entertaining).

Because I use it a lot, I'll probably order one in my next vehicle. The Street Pilot is bigger, but I think I'd like a bigger screen like the ones that come with the car. Hopefully, BMW can learn a few things from Acura when it comes to GPS equipment.

To answer your question, I would recommend the Garmin, but it's a biased recommendation as I've never had any experience with any Magellan units.

Hope that helps.

:thumbup:

Nick M3
10-22-2003, 11:37 PM
LilE has the iQue and loves it. If he doesn't respond, I'll send him over tomorrow.

3LOU5
10-22-2003, 11:38 PM
BTW, I agree on your REI assessment.

That store is one of my favorites. The one in Seattle has an indoor climbing wall (like 60 ft, IIRC) that I "summited".

:thumbup:

operknockity
10-23-2003, 12:05 AM
The one in Seattle has an indoor climbing wall (like 60 ft, IIRC) that I "summited".:thumbup:
They used to have a huge store very close to where I live and worked for a while. Don't think they had a wall though.

That store closed :cry: and they openned a much smaller one in a new strip mall that wasn't very convenient for me at the time. But now I drive past it every day, so that's cool :thumbup:.

I guess one of the areas I am concerned about is the software and interface to a PC to do software updates and download new map data, and how do I get updated map data (download from manufacturer web site or have to order new CD's). And is the h/w interface a parallel, serial, USB, or what?

3LOU5
10-23-2003, 12:23 AM
The one in Seattle has an indoor climbing wall (like 60 ft, IIRC) that I "summited".:thumbup:
They used to have a huge store very close to where I live and worked for a while. Don't think they had a wall though.

That store closed :cry: and they openned a much smaller one in a new strip mall that wasn't very convenient for me at the time. But now I drive past it every day, so that's cool :thumbup:.

I guess one of the areas I am concerned about is the software and interface to a PC to do software updates and download new map data, and how do I get updated map data (download from manufacturer web site or have to order new CD's). And is the h/w interface a parallel, serial, USB, or what?

This should answer your question:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/download.html

(Don't feel like typing too much).

:mad:

3LOU5
10-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Dang, I'm really losing my mind here.

I use the PC interface cable, which looks like this:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10141%2D00

Hope that helps some.

:smile:

operknockity