PDA

View Full Version : I did it!!!

FC
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Screw it, I'm gonna gloat. :twisted:

It what could only be described as unhealthy amounts of perseverance, I was able to remove the center muffler on the 190E without damaging the pipes' terminations on the cat... sort of.

There are basically two pipes with floating flanges that attach via two bolts a piece at the junction. Using my new super Dremel tool and a few of the large-diameter fiberglass-reinforced cut-off wheels, I cut off the four bolts and the four flanges since they were fused to the pipes.

I figured I was done, but of course the muffler would not come off. I had to then make long cuts on both muffler pipes (length-wise) to help it loosen up. After pounding the shit out of it with my hammer, it finally came off.

The only problem is that one of the flanges (which was un-reusable anyway) was captive on the cat (the pipe is flared at the end).

I'll have to find a way to fit a flange in there (cutting the pipe, and a) insert flange and reweld or b) use a sleve and clamp both sides come to mind). That is, IF Mercedes actually sells this flange as a stand-alone part. Otherwise I'll have to cut off the end on the new muffler's pipe and put a sleeve over both ends and clamp/weld.

Regardless, I'm going to order my parts tomorrow and cross my fingers that another $200 will get my benz running for at least a few months. Hell, if I can put another 10K on the benz, it will save me hundreds just worth of tires on the 330i.

This job was a bitch mostly because of accessability. Had to use my mirror a LOT and the dremel flexible extension.

clyde
12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
wtg

hope it was worth it. :?

FC
12-06-2004, 10:36 PM
wtg

hope it was worth it. :?

We'll find out depending on how easy it is to remedy the missing flange situation. If it isn't too dificult, then it was worth it.

operknockity
12-07-2004, 01:36 AM
:line: :line: