PDA

View Full Version : BMW Nav System....

lip277
10-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Gotta question for those who have a newer BMW.

My folks have a 2001 740iL with the nav system. I'd like to get them the disc that works for WA & OR (they already have the CA one that came with the car)

Question-
Is there more than one type of system out there that I have to worry about?
Do I have to go to the dealer (local or otherwise) for this? (I see Nav CD's on e-bay all over the place... are they 'real' or ... not... and are they all for the same system - above question...)
Just want to find out what I can before I need to do something (It's going to be a Christmas present, I think...)

The Nav system I'm familiar with is the Thomas Guide :eek: Then again my BMW doesn't have window switches either :lol:

Thanks-

Mathew
10-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Question-
Do I have to go to the dealer (local or otherwise) for this? (I see Nav CD's on e-bay all over the place... are they 'real' or ... not... and are they all for the same system - above question...)
Just want to find out what I can before I need to do something (It's going to be a Christmas present, I think...)

The only type of "system" you have to worry about is DVD or CD-ROM, in your case you will need CD-ROM.

And as long as they are BMW NavTech CDs, it doesn't matter where you get them from

lip277
10-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Great-
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure-
Thanks

Terri Kennedy
10-22-2003, 11:48 AM
The Nav-Tech CD maps will work fine in that car. Most BMW dealers don't stock the maps, though they often have some old ones laying around from lease returns.

You can order the map from Nav-Tech (http://www.navtech.com/UserOrdersServlet?action=listMaps&navigatorId=1&useNewCL=N). They want $129 for one map or $199 for all 8. If they ever go to CA/NV I'd suggest the full set - you can always sell the other ones.

Many of the maps sold on eBay are older ones or CD-R copies. The current maps are the 2003-2 edition.

I'd suggest updating the navigation software as well. Your dealer can do this, or you can either buy the official CD (01 59 0 141 891, around $25) from your dealer or find a copy on the Internet. This is a CD you put in the NAV computer to update its internal programming. It then pops out (and you're done with it) and you re-insert the map CD. Your car is probably new enough that it will recognize the new map CDs without the software update, but it is always a good idea to update the NAV software.

lip277
10-22-2003, 11:52 AM
On the update CD....

Just load it instead of the map cd? No commands or anything?

Is there a way to tell if we 'need' it or is it just best to do it regardless?

Thanks

Terri Kennedy
10-22-2003, 12:06 PM
On the update CD....

Just load it instead of the map cd? No commands or anything?

Is there a way to tell if we 'need' it or is it just best to do it regardless?
Yup - just eject the map CD, insert the update CD, and wait for instructions on the nav screen. Don't do anything with the ignition key while it is updating - just let the car sit quietly and do its thing. When it is done you'll get a message and the disc will eject.

To see what version you have, go to the "Settings" screen on the NAV and look at the top right corner. You'll have a number like 3-1/xx. 3 means you have a MK III navigation computer, 1 means you have the "high function" one (the only one sold in the US) and xx is the software version. The latest update CD (CD V22) has version 6.3. CD V21.1 has version 6.2.

If you are coming from a really old version (NAV doesn't offer split-screen mode), you may also need a "key CD". This is all described in detail in the archives of the Yahoo bmwnav (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwnav) group. BTW, the "Nav-Tech" in my previous post was also a link, since this board software hides them.

lip277
10-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Cool-
Great info
Thanks