PDA

View Full Version : BMW Windshield Replacement

Pinecone
03-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Dealer or SafeLite?

Or does it matter?

Got a crack eye level, driver's side on the E46 M3. And since it occurred on Sat, it has grown longer.

Thanks.

Terri Kennedy
03-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Dealer or SafeLite?

Or does it matter?
Do you have the rain sensor? Way-back-when, if you did, you needed dealer glass. Not sure if the aftermarket has caught up yet.

Terri Kennedy
03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Safelite can get OEM glass IIRC.
Ok. I wasn't sure if the aftermarkets were still trying to use their own glass.

I had the windshield replaced on my wagon less than a week before I left for Bimmerfest 2004. I'd gotten a chip in the original glass which developed into a full-blown crack before I could drill and glue it.

My BMW dealer didn't do their own glass work - they ordered the glass, gasket, and goop from BMW and had a car glass guy come to the dealership to install it. Due to wanting to make good on an earlier screwup, they only charged me the pass-thru labor from the glass guy and their cost on the glass - cost me about $250 total.

ZBB
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Do you have the rain sensor? Way-back-when, if you did, you needed dealer glass. Not sure if the aftermarket has caught up yet.

I had my insurance company's vendor replace the windshield on my E39... They used aftermarket glass that didn't impact the rain sensor...

Nick M3
03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Not safelite. Their people have an pretty uneven reputation.

I just had a Pilkington windshield put in my M3 last week by Virginia Auto Glass (that's the third windshield they've installed for me - sigh). Pilington makes the stock M3 glass, so the label is the only difference I can find. That and it's weirdly clean.

Rob
03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
the dealer will probably call safelite. They won't have anyone that can do it on staff. You are better off with someone that does it every day anyway.

Pinecone
03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Since it will be less than my deductable, it doesn't matter who does it.

My insurance comapny uses Safelite. We have had a bunch of glass replaced by our local Safelite without issues.

Looking at RealOEM.com, they is the Climate Comfort and the plain green windshield. $576 versus $396 for the glass.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_3682&hg=51&fg=05

What's the difference?

Nick, how much did your's cost?

SARAFIL
03-17-2010, 08:23 PM
the dealer will probably call safelite. They won't have anyone that can do it on staff. You are better off with someone that does it every day anyway.

Actually, BMW did a big push on training dealer staff to do windshield repairs and installs in-house. I know that late last year my dealer started doing their own repairs and installs at BMW and MINI... they sent a few of the techs to BMW training and now do it in the service department.

Doesn't mean that they are all doing it, but there are probably more than you think doing it in-house these days.

Nick M3
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Mine was $313 installed, the Pilkington glass was $175.

rumatt
03-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Whatever you do, stay away from lupinsea's guy (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=21319)

:eek:

Rob
03-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Actually, BMW did a big push on training dealer staff to do windshield repairs and installs in-house. I know that late last year my dealer started doing their own repairs and installs at BMW and MINI... they sent a few of the techs to BMW training and now do it in the service department.

Doesn't mean that they are all doing it, but there are probably more than you think doing it in-house these days.

Huh. Well, when I bought the M3, I watched the glass truck pull up to replace the windshield. Crevier - they should have been on the forefront. Of course, that was . . . 8 years ago.

Fwiw, I would never question your word about this stuff. I want to change my answer. Go to the dealer.

rumatt
03-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Fwiw, I would never question your word about this stuff. I want to change my answer. Go to the dealer.

He said they're doing it. He never said you should actually let them touch your car.

"I got training on this late last year" wouldn't be enouch to get me to take my car there, that's for sure.

SARAFIL
03-18-2010, 12:52 AM
He said they're doing it. He never said you should actually let them touch your car.

"I got training on this late last year" wouldn't be enouch to get me to take my car there, that's for sure.

Just making a point that some dealers are doing their own installs right now. ;) Not trying to say where you should or should not get yours fixed! There is obviously something to be said about experience, it's just a matter of finding out if the vendor that you are using is qualified.

Pinecone
03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the input.

Nick, I will be calling you. :)

Pinecone
03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I talked to Nick.

This is the place he is talking about:

http://www.virginia-glass.com/

wdc330i
06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Not safelite. Their people have an pretty uneven reputation.

I just had a Pilkington windshield put in my M3 last week by Virginia Auto Glass (that's the third windshield they've installed for me - sigh). Pilington makes the stock M3 glass, so the label is the only difference I can find. That and it's weirdly clean.

I just noticed yesterday that my M has a Pilkington-labeled windshield. All my other BMWs say "BMW" on the glass. Could the M's windshield have been replaced, or is it labeled Pilkington from the factory?

TD
06-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I just noticed yesterday that my M has a Pilkington-labeled windshield. All my other BMWs say "BMW" on the glass. Could the M's windshield have been replaced, or is it labeled Pilkington from the factory?
I'd check mine for you, but I can't.

wdc330i
06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I'd check mine for you, but I can't.

d'oh! You never know, I could be driving a Frankenstein-mobile.

Plaz
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM

I think all my glass on my E46 was labeled Pilkington.

Nick M3
06-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Stock will have BMW logos and say Pilkington. Aftermarket will just say Pilkington (this is what I have, as I didn't see a reason to nearly double my cost for the logo).

SCA
06-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Stock will have BMW logos and say Pilkington.

Obviously a different model than wdc330i's E46 M3, but that is how all the glass is on the E90.

wdc330i
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Stock will have BMW logos and say Pilkington. Aftermarket will just say Pilkington (this is what I have, as I didn't see a reason to nearly double my cost for the logo).

I think mine just says Pilkington, no BMW logo. Looks like it's replacement glass. Hope that's all that was replaced!

TD
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I think mine just says Pilkington, no BMW logo. Looks like it's replacement glass. Hope that's all that was replaced!
It could be worse. Trust me.

wdc330i
06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
It could be worse. Trust me.

Indeed.