PDA

View Full Version : Trying something new with the suspension...

Nick M3
12-02-2004, 04:37 PM
I've been groing kind of annoyed with the rear sway lately, and constant pressure from the folks at TC Kline (they pull it out of every car they prepare) has prompted me to give a shot to something new:

Rear sway delete.

I look forward to tryign it on the track this weekend, but my initial impressions are quite positive. It encourages you to keep your foot in it more and get on it earlier without generating understeer.

I'll save further commentary for when I get back from the track, but I like it.

blee
12-02-2004, 04:49 PM
With the appropriate springs in back, you don't even suffer from roll issues without that rear bar. It's kind of odd that many race cars do away with it entirely, but stiffer bars are regularly made available in the aftermarket.

Roadstergal
12-02-2004, 05:00 PM
but stiffer bars are regularly made available in the aftermarket.

Use the word "stiffer" with someone who wants to Upgrade Their Car but doesn't know what they're doing, and it'll sell. Witness the popularity of front strut braces in street cars...

Plaz
12-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Witness the popularity of front strut braces in street cars...

:paranoid:

blee
12-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Don't get me wrong. Stiffer sway bars do make a difference, and they're generally a good upgrade. But the ultimate answer to eliminating roll is not to buy a larger bar...at least, this is what I've been told.

Nick M3
12-02-2004, 05:52 PM
The thing is that TCKR does it with soft springs. (Mind you, I've got 800s back there.)

And with BMWs, you will not find ANYONE who doesn't run a big front bar. (Well, I haven't anyway.)

clyde
12-02-2004, 05:57 PM
You play with what you can and hopefully use what will give you the desired effect. Most people equate little body roll with "good handling" and stiff bars provide what they want without much in the way of pesky side effects. Others know better.

You aren't supposed to use the front bar to control camber either, but guess what a really stiff front bar is good for when you can't adjust front camber into the desired range.

Lartymarf
12-02-2004, 06:18 PM
The quest for the perfect aftermarket E46 M3 suspension setup is
a never ending task. :cool: Let us know how it goes.

Nick M3
12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
You play with what you can and hopefully use what will give you the desired effect. Most people equate little body roll with "good handling" and stiff bars provide what they want without much in the way of pesky side effects. Others know better.

You aren't supposed to use the front bar to control camber either, but guess what a really stiff front bar is good for when you can't adjust front camber into the desired range.

Indeed.

My front bar may get softened up a fair bit. We'll see.

Lartymarf
12-03-2004, 02:30 PM

Indeed.

My front bar may get softened up a fair bit. We'll see.

Have you talked to Medina about suspension stuff?
He's the in haus suspension guru from roadflea.

Doug
12-03-2004, 03:58 PM
The car was designed to work with sways. A trueracecar has few original suspension components and are redesigned to work without them in some cases. I think overall it will not work as well

clyde
12-03-2004, 04:03 PM
The car was designed to work with sways. A trueracecar has few original suspension components and are redesigned to work without them in some cases. I think overall it will not work as wellHow many original suspension components do you think are left on Nick's car?

Doug
12-03-2004, 05:01 PM
so were those components picked to work optimally without sways?

clyde
12-03-2004, 09:44 PM
so were those components picked to work optimally without sways?
:lol:

Nick?