PDA

View Full Version : OK, Tires, people.

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:37 PM
225/50-16, or 245/45-16 for a 16x8 wheel.

I'm inclined to go with the Kumho Ecsta MXes unless anyone else has a better (inexpensive!) suggestion.

TD
10-21-2003, 11:39 PM

I'm inclined to go with the Kumho Ecsta MXes unless anyone else has a better (inexpensive!) suggestion.

See, I'm really underimpressed with my Kumhos. They get really greasy.

nate
10-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Is this for street use?

nate
10-21-2003, 11:43 PM

See, I'm really underimpressed with my Kumhos. They get really greasy.How do you manage to get your rear tires greasy on the street?

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:43 PM
If Falken made a 225/50-16 Azenis Sport I'd run those. As it is, I may just run my existing set of 215/45s into the ground and then figure out what I want to do. (Not that I expect to get that much more life out of them.)

With R-Tires eating into my budget I just have a hard time justifying another set of S-03s.

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:45 PM
Is this for street use?

Street primarily. I'll autox on them at BMW events, though. (R-Tires throw you into a mod class under the NCC BMWCCA system.)

TD
10-21-2003, 11:46 PM

See, I'm really underimpressed with my Kumhos. They get really greasy.How do you manage to get your rear tires greasy on the street?

I really noticed them do this at the only autox I hit this year. But I do notice lesser degrees of greasy after harder driving.

nate
10-21-2003, 11:50 PM
ES100s are ok for street use, so long as you are not planning on any high speed rain driving...

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:55 PM
ES100s are ok for street use, so long as you are not planning on any high speed rain driving...

They certainly are cheap... ($80 apiece... I could probably get them for $100 each mounted and balanced locally.)

nate
10-22-2003, 12:08 AM

They certainly are cheap... ($80 apiece... I could probably get them for $100 each mounted and balanced locally.)

Dude, just forget it and use these on the street.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=A032R :smile:

Actually, the ES100s are pretty good for the price, I just wish the hyroplaning resistance was better...I need to be able to go at least 120 in all conditions...

Nick M3
10-22-2003, 12:10 AM
I guess I should have kept the set I had... The SSR Integrals came with a set of 225/50-16 A032Rs mounted.

nate
10-22-2003, 12:14 AM
I guess I should have kept the set I had... The SSR Integrals came with a set of 225/50-16 A032Rs mounted.WTH?

You threw out a set of A032Rs :?

Should have sent them to me. My rear A032Rs are now bald.

Nick M3
10-22-2003, 12:16 AM
I sold them. :p

They were a year old at the time, and I didn't want them to sit around getting harder whiel I figured out what to do with them.

dan
10-22-2003, 12:44 AM
how much are Toyo T1-S Proxes?

Nick M3
10-22-2003, 12:46 AM
You know... I'll have to ask when I run by Radial Tire.

They might be in the range.

Roadstergal
10-22-2003, 12:57 AM
If Falken made a 225/50-16 Azenis Sport I'd run those.

Great tire, limited sizes.

I have them on both cars.

dan
10-22-2003, 12:58 AM
Looks like they're around $150 each (at least at this site http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/toyoproxest1s.html)

I know they're about the lightest high-po tire out there.

SCA
10-22-2003, 01:40 PM
I really like my Yoko ES100's. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anonymous
10-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Have you considered the Contisport 2 ? It's supposed to be an excellent tire and the price isn't THAT bad. They actually sound like a great street tire, kind of inbetween the Pilot/SO3 and the ES100.

I was thinking of getting a set to replace my stock Contisports in the spring

Also the Dunlop FM901 is supposed to be a good tire, I think I remember Sam at rennsport saying he had a set and liked them . . .

I like the ES100's also but they are a little on the heavy side if weight matters to you . . .

Masskrug
10-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Have you considered the Contisport 2 ? It's supposed to be an excellent tire and the price isn't THAT bad. They actually sound like a great street tire, kind of inbetween the Pilot/SO3 and the ES100.

I was thinking of getting a set to replace my stock Contisports in the spring

Also the Dunlop FM901 is supposed to be a good tire, I think I remember Sam at rennsport saying he had a set and liked them . . .

I like the ES100's also but they are a little on the heavy side if weight matters to you . . .

Conti's (the original Csport) are SOOOO terrible, can you even bear to support them by buying the CSport2? I think they should be punished for a long time, and not so easily forgiven for such a pathetic product.

Anonymous
10-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Conti's (the original Csport) are SOOOO terrible, can you even bear to support them by buying the CSport2? I think they should be punished for a long time, and not so easily forgiven for such a pathetic product.

I never hold a grudge . . . if they make a good product then I am willing to give it a try.

In fact I just bought a set of Contiextreme's for winter use . . .

TD
10-22-2003, 02:40 PM

I never hold a grudge . . . if they make a good product then I am willing to give it a try.

I echo Masskrug's grudge. The ContiSports are such shit that I won't trust them with my tire money for a long time.

Anonymous
10-22-2003, 02:48 PM
I echo Masskrug's grudge. The ContiSports are such shit that I won't trust them with my tire money for a long time.

I had my doubts as well but after reading a few write-ups complimenting them and also the fact that Hack says their good then I gotta belieive they are making a good tire

Anyway I the Contiextreme's already mounted on my winter wheels . . . hopefully when I do the swap I find I made hte right choice . . .

JST
10-22-2003, 02:53 PM

I hate the ContiSports, but they just won't die. 12K heavy miles on my car, including a number of, erm, exuberant starts, and they still have plenty of tread.

As bad as the Contis are, they are better than the Sumitomos I made the mistake of putting on the old M3.

I've decided that I'm through with cheap tires. The amount of money I spent trying to get all of the Sumis balanced would have covered a set of S-03s. Next spring, I'm going to pony up for a set of real tires, probably Pilot Sports or S-03s.

dan
10-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Next spring, I'm going to pony up for a set of real tires, probably Pilot Sports or S-03s.

I'd definitely recommend the S-03's. $50 cheaper per tire and probably better (though I had no problems with my Pilot's)

Although, by then maybe the Pilot Sport 2's will be available in more sizes.

TD
10-22-2003, 03:02 PM

I hate the ContiSports, but they just won't die. 12K heavy miles on my car, including a number of, erm, exuberant starts, and they still have plenty of tread.

As bad as the Contis are, they are better than the Sumitomos I made the mistake of putting on the old M3.

I've decided that I'm through with cheap tires. The amount of money I spent trying to get all of the Sumis balanced would have covered a set of S-03s. Next spring, I'm going to pony up for a set of real tires, probably Pilot Sports or S-03s.

I hate the Kumhos. And I also hate how much well-worn S03s tramline. It's REALLY bad.

The Kumhos have created bad rubber induced oversteer and the S-03s force me to hold on with a death grip over the severely rutted roads I commute on (the route is heavily trafficed by heavy trucks - BAD ruts).

lemming
10-22-2003, 03:05 PM
new favorite tire at a decent price plus lightweight:

either the toyo T1-S OR the pirelli nero (either straight up or M+S --have both, like both).

i have never really liked the s03s and have always thought they gave up too much dry grip for the sake of wet grip; they are also heavy by a lot than the average tire in class.

the downside? toyo and pirelli both make their tires slightly narrower than bridgeROCKs.

i can tell you to avoid RE070s like the bloody plague. :lol:

had contisport I's on the 993. they were awful and but for a perfect street with a smooth surface on a moderately warm day, they were terrible. then put on the toyo's and voila. new car.

had kumho ecsta 712s on the M coupe. terrible. OEM pilot sports --> overrated. put on V700s (i know, silly for the street, but i never drove the car) --> heavy, but fun, fun, fun.

i think that in particular, for suspension articulation as well as rolling inertia, tire weight is a (small) factor.

ayn
10-22-2003, 03:28 PM
[

I dunno, I know 2 guys in Austin with Contis on their E46 M3's (Jimmy and Marcos) and they love their conti's... Jimmy loves them so much he even bought a second set to replace them... (very few choices in his stock 19" setup though)

I hated the Contis on my 330's, but maybe the special "m3" version is better? or maybe they just never tried S03s or Pilots and didnt know how much better it could be?

--Andrew

JST
10-22-2003, 04:34 PM
[

I dunno, I know 2 guys in Austin with Contis on their E46 M3's (Jimmy and Marcos) and they love their conti's... Jimmy loves them so much he even bought a second set to replace them... (very few choices in his stock 19" setup though)

I hated the Contis on my 330's, but maybe the special "m3" version is better? or maybe they just never tried S03s or Pilots and didnt know how much better it could be?

--Andrew

I'm going to guess the latter. With the temperature cooling off, any "grip" that the Contis had has faded away. Even moderately hard acceleration triggers the DSC.

Anonymous
10-22-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm going to guess the latter. With the temperature cooling off, any "grip" that the Contis had has faded away. Even moderately hard acceleration triggers the DSC.

I am experiencing the same thing with the temperatures going down but I would venture to guess that all summer tires are going to be like this in the lower temps

This is the reason why I want to swap them out now even though it's only October . . .

We'll see for sure just how good a high performance all season can be . . .

Masskrug
10-22-2003, 05:16 PM

They must also be squealing like little girls on ANY corner now too.

Masskrug
10-22-2003, 05:19 PM
[quote="pDz"]new favorite tire at a decent price plus lightweight:

the pirelli nero (either straight up or M+S --have both, like both).

[quote]

You must give up quite a bit of performance for the M+S version, no?

JST
10-22-2003, 05:23 PM

You know, the weird thing about Contis is that they don't make that much noise.

lemming
10-22-2003, 05:26 PM
[quote="pDz"]new favorite tire at a decent price plus lightweight:

the pirelli nero (either straight up or M+S --have both, like both).

[quote]

You must give up quite a bit of performance for the M+S version, no?

well.....overall, the tread pattern is basically the same as the plain old nero, and i think the difference is the compound.

they are a lot more progressive at the limit, but i have not had them long enough to compare with the bridgeROCKS. my "winter" setup are 18"s with the M+S tires. we'll see how it goes. if i could make it through a winter on T1-S, i doubt it will be an issue with awd plus m+s rated tires.

SCA
10-22-2003, 05:41 PM
I've noticed that the ES100's get louder and ride harsher when driving in the rain.

Masskrug
10-22-2003, 05:49 PM

You know, the weird thing about Contis is that they don't make that much noise.

Mine HOWL. 15K. Soon to be toast.

Keith
10-22-2003, 06:41 PM
I really like my Yoko ES100's. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Me too :thumbup: ......

Rob
10-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Where does the Falken fall in the pecking order? I know a lot of places put them on display so I assumed they were a mass market inexpensive alternative.

Nick M3
10-22-2003, 08:55 PM
The Falken Azenis Sport is the second grippiest street tire currently made. (The grippiest is the T/A KD, but it's ludicrously expensive.) It's the tire you NEED in order to win STS or STX at the SCCA Nationals. That said, the rest of their stuff is crap.

The 215 wide Azeni grip significantly better than the 225 wide S-03s I use for the street. The real issue for the Azenis Sports is that they heat up fast and get greasy when they do.

lemming
10-23-2003, 10:15 AM
just thought i'd post today to say that it snowed today (lightly); roads were wet and a tad slushy when i drove into work.

the zero nero M+Ss work just fine. :-)

i really like these tires.

lemming
10-23-2003, 04:22 PM
nick: didja decide yet?

came across this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/max_max_perf_charts.html

and this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/co_contiExtremeContact_c.html

and this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_s03_rd.jsp

good reading.

Nick M3
10-23-2003, 05:28 PM
The Pzero Nero isn't available in a usable size. :p

And no, I haven't decided yet. I'm just doing an mbr129 style exercise of indecision before a purchase that's abotu a month off. ;)