PDA

View Full Version : Will 255/40-17 Kumho VictoRacers fit my car?

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Just curious about the odds people will lay on 'em. I'm picking up a nearly worn out set this weekend so I can test fit them

nate
10-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Probably not on front.

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Probably not on front.

IMHO, the big question is whether or not the extra 1.6" of ride height, combined with the travel of an SP suspension will make it work. We'll see soonish.

clyde
10-22-2003, 09:28 AM
with the travel of an SP suspension will make it work.

:?

bren
10-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Probably not on front.

IMHO, the big question is whether or not the extra 1.6" of ride height, combined with the travel of an SP suspension will make it work. We'll see soonish.
I would think strut clearance would be an issue, especially if you will be using wheels with the stock offset.

Nick M3
10-22-2003, 05:55 PM

Didn't you know? The xi suspension has about the same travel (if not less) as the SP suspension, in spite of the increased ride height.

clyde
10-22-2003, 06:22 PM

Didn't you know? The xi suspension has about the same travel (if not less) as the SP suspension, in spite of the increased ride height.

Yes, I know...it just sounded like you were talking about somehow adding the real SP package to your wagon...which didn't make sense.

Nick M3
10-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Yes, I know...it just sounded like you were talking about somehow adding the real SP package to your wagon...which didn't make sense.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Sure. :twisted:

Nick M3
10-30-2003, 05:00 PM
And for all those who care:

255s clear EASILY on my car. If I had more suspension travel, they'd hit the fenders, but that's not an issue. In fact, I suspect one could go a bit wider on a different wheel. (Come to think of it, you might be able to get away with some stupid offset and ludicrously wide tires.)

lemming
10-30-2003, 05:18 PM
And for all those who care:

255s clear EASILY on my car. If I had more suspension travel, they'd hit the fenders, but that's not an issue. In fact, I suspect one could go a bit wider on a different wheel. (Come to think of it, you might be able to get away with some stupid offset and ludicrously wide tires.)

and how does the car handle with that much rubber? does it understeer like a pig on ice or can you finesse it okay on the auto_x course? must be incredibly hard to break traction on 255s..........all around..........

Nick M3
10-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Actually, my initial impression of the handling is GREAT! I went out on a quickie test drive, and found myself near opposite lock. ;) I presume that the rapid grip fall off is responsible. It's really different driving on R-tires... It's much easier to engage the ABS (not that it was ever hard), but the car still brakes significantly better.

I'll report back after the autox this weekend. (If fun runs are available, I'll let clyde give it a shot, too.)

nate
10-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Using them on the street? :lol:

lemming
10-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Actually, my initial impression of the handling is GREAT! I went out on a quickie test drive, and found myself near opposite lock. ;) I presume that the rapid grip fall off is responsible. It's really different driving on R-tires... It's much easier to engage the ABS (not that it was ever hard), but the car still brakes significantly better.

I'll report back after the autox this weekend. (If fun runs are available, I'll let clyde give it a shot, too.)

you are CRAZY.

but dammit, let us know how it goes!

TD
10-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Using them on the street? :lol:

Yup. He is.

He just dropped by maybe an hour ago and I had a chance to take it for a spin.

Woohoo! It feels great. It almost no longer feels like an E46. Itsa vahry nice-ah.

Nick M3
10-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Man, oh man, oh man... Turn in with R-tires mounted is SO different. I expect I'm going to cone a lot this weekend when I expect the car will hold a tighter radius than I'm used to.

nate
10-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Man, oh man, oh man... Turn in with R-tires mounted is SO different. I expect I'm going to cone a lot this weekend when I expect the car will hold a tighter radius than I'm used to.

It will still understeer.

Ask me how I know. :D

And yes, the turn in and grip are fantastic. (especially with -1.5 deg. on the front wheels)

Nick M3
10-31-2003, 08:34 AM
Of course it will understeer. Changing tires shouldn't change the fundamental balance of the car. But I do believe this enhances the fun factor. :D

JST
10-31-2003, 09:15 AM
Of course it will understeer. Changing tires shouldn't change the fundamental balance of the car. But I do believe this enhances the fun factor. :D

They would if you ran Victoracers on the front and bald Contis on the back.

You should try a run like that. I'll lend you my front tires for the back of your car.

lemming
10-31-2003, 09:16 AM

i'll fully admit ignorance here.

is it legal in your class to run a super stiff rear sway bar, or to change the front camber a la nate?

nate
10-31-2003, 09:27 AM

i'll fully admit ignorance here.

is it legal in your class to run a super stiff rear sway bar, or to change the front camber a la nate?

No, you can't change the rear bar in SCCA.

I am almost certain that you can do whatever you can to change alignment through stock means.

clyde
10-31-2003, 09:44 AM

I am almost certain that you can do whatever you can to change alignment through stock means.

That's right. You can't change the rear bar.

You can use the full range of any adjustments that don't alter the factory installed equipment. If the factory setup includes slotted struts, you can use them. If there is built in adjustability (ala Z06), you can take full advantage. Beyond that, there is a little wiggle room in some cases. If the manufacturer issues a TSB that details how to use non factory installed parts for alignment issues for roadgoing vehicles, you can make full use of them. Crash bolts are the common example of this, but they aren't available for the E46. For the most part, though, you are stuck with the limited amount of range in the OEM setup.

Nick M3
10-31-2003, 10:00 AM
According to Mark Sipe, you can change the front camber via the front slots. It's in factory service manual as an allowed procedure. (Even if you have to punch out the strut bearing position buds.)

lemming
10-31-2003, 10:00 AM

That's right. You can't change the rear bar.

You can use the full range of any adjustments that don't alter the factory installed equipment. If the factory setup includes slotted struts, you can use them. If there is built in adjustability (ala Z06), you can take full advantage. Beyond that, there is a little wiggle room in some cases. If the manufacturer issues a TSB that details how to use non factory installed parts for alignment issues for roadgoing vehicles, you can make full use of them. Crash bolts are the common example of this, but they aren't available for the E46. For the most part, though, you are stuck with the limited amount of range in the OEM setup.

wow. no wonder Z06s do so well at the nationals. power, adjustability, plus grip.

do porkchops (boxsters) still do well at autoXs, too?

Nick M3
10-31-2003, 10:06 AM

You should try a run like that. I'll lend you my front tires for the back of your car.

Heh, if I get in for fun runs, it'd certainly be entertaining. There was a guy in a Cooper S at the EVO school on VictoRacers up front and ContTourings in back. Once he started driving halfway competently, the tire combo really started screwing him over. :)

lemming
10-31-2003, 11:00 AM

Heh, if I get in for fun runs, it'd certainly be entertaining. There was a guy in a Cooper S at the EVO school on VictoRacers up front and ContTourings in back. Once he started driving halfway competently, the tire combo really started screwing him over. :)

nick: what pressures do you run at autoX in the xiT? am guessing they're staggered so you can release the rear end?

clyde
10-31-2003, 11:21 AM
do porkchops (boxsters) still do well at autoXs, too?

The Boxster and Boxster S place well enough in BS and AS, respectivley, at the National level but are genreally thought to be overmatched by the S2000 in BS and the C4 Corvette in AS. I'm not sure how they do in Street Prepared.

clyde
10-31-2003, 11:29 AM
nick: what pressures do you run at autoX in the xiT? am guessing they're staggered so you can release the rear end?

In which of his tires? The 205/45 16 Azenis, the 255/40 17 V700s, the S03s, the Potenzas from last year... :lol:

In my xiT this year, I ran ~43 in front and ~37 rear (both cold) in the 225/45 17 Azenis. Rotation was usually pretty good on asphalt, with a 6-8 pound difference.

lemming
10-31-2003, 12:35 PM

In which of his tires? The 205/45 16 Azenis, the 255/40 17 V700s, the S03s, the Potenzas from last year... :lol:

In my xiT this year, I ran ~43 in front and ~37 rear (both cold) in the 225/45 17 Azenis. Rotation was usually pretty good on asphalt, with a 6-8 pound difference.

hey!

thanks for the info. that's about the stagger i have in the xiT right now and i find that it's much more tossable. just seeing how it compares to auto-X settings. did that, also, at the track (ugh, bad idea) and it was very neutral as long as i carried enough speed and late apex'ed.

re: s2000 and z06 --> so many sports cars, so little time.....

Nick M3
10-31-2003, 01:48 PM
In my Azeni, my favorite pressure was 42F/29R. On the street, 42F/35R was good for my S-03s (I'd drop the rears in the S-03s for autox purposes, but 29 is way too low for the street.)

I've currently got the car set up at 44F/40R on the victoracers, but I have no idea what the optimal pressures will be.

clyde
11-02-2003, 05:28 PM
I've currently got the car set up at 44F/40R on the victoracers, but I have no idea what the optimal pressures will be.

I think 44/40 is too high.

Nick M3
11-02-2003, 05:32 PM

I'm currently at 36/28. We'll see where I go.

lemming
11-02-2003, 08:26 PM

I'm currently at 36/28. We'll see where I go.

how did you do with those pontoons for tires this weekend at the auto-x, you nutcase?

Nick M3
11-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Poorly.

I'm trying to figure out how much was my driving (which was bad) and how much was the tires. R-tires are definitely harder to drive than street tires, as they're pretty much either on or off. When you exceed their limits, they just let go, unlike, say, my Azeni. I'm also not totally sure that my used set is gripping well. Turn in is awesome, but my new 205 Azeni don't seem to grip noticably worse. (Keep in mind that the tires are now essentially bald in the F1 tire manner. Two VERY shallow grooves running the circumference of the tire.)

nate
11-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Poorly.

I'm trying to figure out how much was my driving (which was bad) and how much was the tires. R-tires are definitely harder to drive than street tires, as they're pretty much either on or off. When you exceed their limits, they just let go, unlike, say, my Azeni. I'm also not totally sure that my used set is gripping well. Turn in is awesome, but my new 205 Azeni don't seem to grip noticably worse. (Keep in mind that the tires are now essentially bald in the F1 tire manner. Two VERY shallow grooves running the circumference of the tire.)

Possibly just too old, too many heat cycles.

FYI- my A032Rs release very well, no snap changes, no suprises. Maybe I just drive in a smoother, more progressive manner than you. I only did one auto-x on these though. I used 38.5psi all the way around. Wore the shoulders down badly on the both the front AND the rear a few weeks ago with -2.4 degrees...

Do they not make 255 Azenis for your car?

Nick M3
11-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Heat cycles may well be the issue. We'll see what I think when next season rolls around and I have a new set of tires.

Something must be wrong with me, though... My new Azeni seem quiet. :eek:

clyde
11-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Do they not make 255 Azenis for your car?

They only sell Azenis Sports in 6 sizes. The largest is 245/45/17.

The most interesting thing is that the 255/40/17 Victoracers fit and don't rub. It really made Nick's wagon look badass. :D

nate
11-02-2003, 11:34 PM
It really made Nick's wagon look badass. :Dpics?

clyde
11-02-2003, 11:37 PM
It really made Nick's wagon look badass. :Dpics?

No, but Nick could go run outside and take some I suppose...