PDA

View Full Version : impact wrench

zach
02-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I know a bunch of folks here have the Milwaukee cordless impact wrench. Does anyone have any thoughts on corded electric impact wrenches? For my purposes, I don't really need a cordless tool. I could go pneumatic, but that seems like it might be overkill...

Thanks for any advice.

clyde
02-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I know a bunch of folks here have the Milwaukee cordless impact wrench. Does anyone have any thoughts on corded electric impact wrenches? For my purposes, I don't really need a cordless tool. I could go pneumatic, but that seems like it might be overkill...

Thanks for any advice.

Cordless or air. Don't see a reason to bother with a wired electric impact.

John V
02-06-2010, 07:34 PM
The battery operated ones are super convenient. The air ones are great, but you really need a fairly large compressor to run one and those take a lot of time to fill with air.

lupinsea
02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I actually have a DeWalt corded impact wrench. Good for ~300+ lb-ft of torque, IIRC.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail_listing.asp?categoryID=50

Absolutely no sweat getting off lug nuts.

It's nice that you don't need to fire up the air compressor to run it. . . just plug it into the wall and go. Only thing is that it's a bit noisy. . . seems noisier to me than an air impact gun for some reason. Besides the hammering action you also have the electric motor making noise.

And it's bulkey and heavy vs. an air impact wrench. Definitely not something you'll be using in tight quarters.

That said, i usually just grab my cross-type lug wrench to spin off my lug nuts. Partly because I'd just assume not make such a racket and the lug wrench isn't that much slower.