PDA

View Full Version : Help! with my muffler.

FC
11-14-2004, 02:17 PM
I successfully removed the old, rusty clamp, and removed the bornken off section of pipe.

I then installed the new muffler and I thought I was good to go. Well, turns out that the short section of pipe (part of the resonator) the receives the new pipe from the muffler has a hole in it as well.

The question is, is there a way to plug the hole? :?

I'd hate to have to buy a new resonator just for that small section since it is only that short section that is rusted (about 6 inches). I suppose I could have someone weld a new section of pipe to the resonator, but that may end up costing more.

What should I do?

lip277
11-14-2004, 02:26 PM
In your situation..... short term life of the car in your hands (right?)

I seem to recall seeing a wrap to 'repair' exhaust pipe sections. It goes on like a metallic tape and closes whatever leaks would be there. I remember seeing that kind of thing at auto parts stores.

I don't know how long it lasts or even its applicability, but.... I think it fits your bill.

Something else I've seen done is to cut a piece of 'good' pipe off the section you just removed and take a part of that and 'wrap' it around the problem area and clamp it on with more exhaust clamps.... Come to think of it, I think I've seen kits that do this same thing as well.

Might just take a tour of a good local auto parts strore and see what they have. I have to think this sort of need is pretty common our your way (and just about anywhere else for that matter)

Just thinking out loud.....

Good luck-

FC
11-14-2004, 02:41 PM
In your situation..... short term life of the car in your hands (right?)

I seem to recall seeing a wrap to 'repair' exhaust pipe sections. It goes on like a metallic tape and closes whatever leaks would be there. I remember seeing that kind of thing at auto parts stores.

I don't know how long it lasts or even its applicability, but.... I think it fits your bill.

Something else I've seen done is to cut a piece of 'good' pipe off the section you just removed and take a part of that and 'wrap' it around the problem area and clamp it on with more exhaust clamps.... Come to think of it, I think I've seen kits that do this same thing as well.

Might just take a tour of a good local auto parts strore and see what they have. I have to think this sort of need is pretty common our your way (and just about anywhere else for that matter)

Just thinking out loud.....

Good luck-

Thanks man!

Actually, I was about to give it a super-ghetto solution. Wrap (very neatly and tightly) tons of Aluminum foil and clamp at both ends.

Aluminum foil melts at ~1200 degrees, so it should be fine (I don't see that pipe getting above ~400 degrees).

I'm headed to the autoparts store at least for a 2nd clamp , so I'll look around for your suggestions.

Thanks!

P.S. And yeah, I'll be happy if the 190E makes it another year or so.

lip277
11-14-2004, 02:54 PM
I have a 1987 420SEL that would make a great cruizer-mobile if you want to stay with the three pointed star.....?????

:lol:

(Actually our SEL is for sale.... The 740i has taken its place in our stable)

blee
11-14-2004, 04:18 PM
There are some exhaust tape solutions available to you. You could also see if any of those band-style clamps would be wide enough to make a good seal around the hole.

You can also buy putty for the purpose of sealing up exhaust joints, but I don't think it would work for holes.

FC
11-14-2004, 05:02 PM
There are some exhaust tape solutions available to you. You could also see if any of those band-style clamps would be wide enough to make a good seal around the hole.

You can also buy putty for the purpose of sealing up exhaust joints, but I don't think it would work for holes.

Well, I found this "patch kit" of sorts and bought it ($2.50). Turns out to be nothing more than 3 yards worth of plaster strips (reminded me of my Ceramics class days back in HS). In escence, save for a hardening compound, I did nothing other than put a cast around the pipe. :roll: It's curing. Hell, if they sell it, it must work... one hopes so at least.

I bought a 2nd clamp ($0.95, they did not have the band-style clamp :evil: ) just in case I need to back up the "cast" with my ghetto Al foil solution.

Will report back tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

FC
11-15-2004, 09:51 AM
So far so good. 40 miles to work speeds around 80mph and exhaust sounds great.

I think I need to give the car a serious brake bleed though.

Thanks for all the help.

operknockity
11-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Hell, if they sell it, it must work... one hopes so at least.
Well then... gonna rush right out and get me one of these....

http://www.tornado-fuelsaver.tv/_img/product/tornado_fuel_saver_large.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: