PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a Suburban?

SteveM
11-14-2004, 12:03 AM
OK, I'm not insane. :? I'm not out to make a :cool: pimp-mobile.

Here's the deal:
My in-laws have a 2003 Suburban and have recently gotten new tires that are slightly taller than the stock units. They don't like the new altitude since it makes it more difficult to enter and exit the vehicle (they are in their late 60's). I suspect that the new tires are just exacerbating their difficulties in getting in or out of the car (yes, it has running boards). This is their only car and they drive it long highway distances (think SoCal to Alaska).

Well, since I'm the resident car-guy they asked me if I knew if it could be lowered. I asked how low they wanted to go and the answer is one inch at most.

The SUV is the 2500 version (2WD) with torsion bars up front and leaf springs in the back. I'm thinking the front could be lowered by adjusting the torsion bars and as long as we don't go too low, no other changes would be required for the front. I did a cursory internet search and found plenty for the 1500 Suburban, but absolutely nothing for the 2500 version (including Eibach, Ground Control, Beltech, and JDM).

My questions are as follows:

1. Is lowering the front via torsion bar adjustment a good idea?

2. I'm assuming the rear would need to be done by a lowering block of some kind - anybody know where to find one?

3. I'm not going to install any of this myself (since it isn't my car), so I'm leaning towards referring them to a pro suspension shop. Anyone have any leads on a good shop in SoCal?

Thanks for your support.

bren
11-14-2004, 12:20 AM
The best way to lower the front would be with dropped spindles, this way the ride quality wouldn't be effected.

For the rear you could use blocks only if the axle is above the leaf spring. I don't recall if this is the case with the 'burb.

Jason C
11-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Like this?

http://www.60degreev6.com/hlperf/Other%20Cars/76%20Chevy%20Suburban/76lowered01.jpg

:paranoid:

SteveM
11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
The best way to lower the front would be with dropped spindles, this way the ride quality wouldn't be effected.

For the rear you could use blocks only if the axle is above the leaf spring. I don't recall if this is the case with the 'burb.

Hmm, for the 1500 I've seen torsion bar 'keys' that change the lever point of the bar - I wonder if these would work.

I'm pretty sure the axle is above the spring.

Thanks.

SteveM
11-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Like this?

http://www.60degreev6.com/hlperf/Other%20Cars/76%20Chevy%20Suburban/76lowered01.jpg

:paranoid:

Gack! Not that low! :lol:

They just want to get in and out a bit easier. Maybe I should check out those swing-out steps that swing out when the door is opened.

Further info: They don't tow or carry heavy loads - they wanted the beefier transmission and bigger engine that comes with the 2500 version.

blee
11-14-2004, 08:44 AM
How about OEM-sized tires? :dunno:

SteveM
11-14-2004, 11:37 AM
How about OEM-sized tires? :dunno:

Well, that's the obvious answer. :smile:

The tires they just got are brand new with about 5K miles on them. I'm thinking that it's just getting harder for them to get in and out of this SUV and the marginally taller tires just made things a bit worse.

I'll be sure to present that as one of their options.

So far, it's down to the following options:

1. Lower the suspension
2. Install swingaway steps like these: http://www.kodiaksidewinder.com/
3. Go back to OEM (or shorter) tires

I'm kind of liking those steps. I'm thinking it might be a good long term solution since their problem will only get worse as they get older.

bren
11-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Sounds like it's time for a Hemi Magnum :D

lip277
11-14-2004, 02:51 PM
You might want to take a gander over to http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/ and see if there's anything already discussed for your situation (I would have to believe there is....)

FYI-
When I replaced the shocks in my 2001 Yukon last summer, the Bilstiens I installed lowered the rear about an inch. That's on the 1/2 ton short wheelbase trucks (you've probably seen how the Tahoe's and Yukon's ride a bit high in the back end.... well, mine is level now... :D )

The other thing to know is if their truck has Autoride? That's an automatic suspension option available on these. It is available on the 2500... If that's there it would complicate things.

That's about it from my end-

SteveM
11-14-2004, 04:04 PM
You might want to take a gander over to http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/ and see if there's anything already discussed for your situation (I would have to believe there is....)

FYI-
When I replaced the shocks in my 2001 Yukon last summer, the Bilstiens I installed lowered the rear about an inch. That's on the 1/2 ton short wheelbase trucks (you've probably seen how the Tahoe's and Yukon's ride a bit high in the back end.... well, mine is level now... :D )

The other thing to know is if their truck has Autoride? That's an automatic suspension option available on these. It is available on the 2500... If that's there it would complicate things.

That's about it from my end-

I'll check that out thanks!

I forgot if they have autoride or not, I'm thinking not but I'll check anyway.

Thanks! :smile: