PDA

View Full Version : wheel well cleaner?

dan
10-12-2004, 12:43 AM
I think rgal once mentioned a product she used for the wheel wells that she was muy impressed with. what was it?

anyone else is free to share their wheel well product of choice too.

nate
10-12-2004, 01:08 AM
puddles of rain water work for me

dan
10-12-2004, 02:40 AM
found it

griot's undercarriage spray

I'm gonna order some along with their wheel cleaner

killerdeck
10-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Must be getting close to the big day! Cant wait to see it!

SteveM
10-12-2004, 10:14 AM
found it

griot's undercarriage spray

I'm gonna order some along with their wheel cleaner

I didn't like Griot's wheel cleaner much; it didn't work any better than plain old (car) soap and water.

dan
10-12-2004, 10:16 AM
hmm, rgal raved about it :dunno:

Rob
10-12-2004, 01:07 PM
I am with Steve. I don't like Griot's wheel cleaner much. But I don't like any of the other non acid based cleaners either. Most of the Griot's cleaning stuff works amazingly well though, so I would try the under carriage spray in a heartbeat. I am also aware that many, many people swear by it. I just don't think it does anything more than normal soap.

What undercarriage are you cleaning? Cosmoline off the Lotus?

dan
10-12-2004, 01:43 PM
What undercarriage are you cleaning? Cosmoline off the Lotus?

soon-to-be-departed M3

Rob
10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
You are cleaning the undercarriage on a car that you are selling? Wow. Very nice of you.

Doug
10-12-2004, 04:35 PM
The undercarriage spray is NOT a cleaner. It's a coating that makes things look nice and shiny, it's a cover up. It does work well.

I really like the Griots wheel cleaner myself, spray it on, let it set a bit, wash off most of the dirt. It only takes a bit of wiping to get the rest especially if you wax the wheels

blee
10-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I used to use a bottle of cheap tire shine (even used the cherry-smelling stuff until I realized how long that odor would waft into the cabin) and a cloth. Just spray directly on the wheel well, wipe down. Had to be careful not to get any on the treads, for obvious fokkin' reasons.

Mathew
10-12-2004, 08:35 PM
The undercarriage spray is NOT a cleaner. It's a coating that makes things look nice and shiny, it's a cover up. It does work well.

What he said.

SteveM
10-12-2004, 09:24 PM
I used to use a bottle of cheap tire shine (even used the cherry-smelling stuff until I realized how long that odor would waft into the cabin) and a cloth. Just spray directly on the wheel well, wipe down. Had to be careful not to get any on the treads, for obvious fokkin' reasons.

:P "obvious fokkin' reasons!" :lol:

edit: I've liked all their other cleaning and other products, just found the wheel cleaner to be ineffective.

Roadstergal
12-29-2004, 07:51 PM

Ja, it's like tire shine. Use it once the undercarriage is already clean.

I do rave about the wheel cleaner. It's quicker and more thorough than soap and water, for me. But I do clean my wheels fairly often, and take them off to clean them - rinse off the surface dirt, spritz with cleaner, wipe with a cloth or sponge, rinse. The Heliums are the first wheels I ever bought new, and I want to keep them lookin' good.

blee
12-29-2004, 08:03 PM
How do you support the car while you clean the rims?

Roadstergal
12-29-2004, 08:15 PM

I work an extra job in the evenings... :P

Jack stands.

Mathew
12-29-2004, 10:03 PM
I have a bottle of wheel cleaner I haven't used in a few months. It's turned a dark green color...

Nick M3
12-29-2004, 11:11 PM

Jack stands.

I thought that's what the UNDERwire was for? :twisted:

lip277
12-30-2004, 12:04 AM

Jack stands.

I thought that's what the UNDERwire was for? :twisted:

Ohhhhhhh........

I just had to chuckle when I heard RG's response. I almost lost my drink when Nick 'kicked in the door'........ That is tooooooo funny......

:lol: