PDA

View Full Version : Is it dumb to be seriously considering a Euro-spec E34 M5?

TD
10-09-2003, 11:48 AM
I have been repeatedly tempted by the idea of a '93+ federalized Euro-spec E34 M5. I have recently been tempted again.

Is this idea stupid? It would have to be a replacement for my '98 M3 sedan. I don't track the M3 much anyway and I could use the extra space.

Also, if anyone knows the problems I should be on the lookout for, I'd appreciate hearing about those as well. Not just re: Euro-spec M5s but also E34 M5s in general and even E34s in general.

Thanks.

Doug
10-09-2003, 02:04 PM
One of the guys in our local club just got an E34 M5 and love the car, I'd say go for it! My E34 525 was my first and is still one of my favorite BMWs. It's a great car. The M version would have the combination of performance with great size

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-14-2003, 03:09 PM
quite unrelated...

But there is always a temptation somewhere inside everyone. If you read the latest Roudel, that E36 Alpina B3 touring is up for grabs again. I am positive that it's the same car on ebay that I posted about more than a year ago.

Is the B3 calling out to me again? :(

FC
10-17-2003, 09:18 AM
TD,

I was at a drivers school this past weekend and one of the instructors (a woman) had a balck E34 M5 (I guess US-spec). I asked her to give me a ride on the autox circuit they had set up.

My rather brief impressions form riding shot gun.

-Amazingly comfortable seats although a bit stiff. The geometry fit my back like a glove.
-Almost no rattles and very tight chassis.
-Awesome sounding engine.
-Very nice interior

I can see why you like one. Oh yeah, the car handled like it was on rails, but I don't know if it had a modded suspension. At least you know you can make it get there. But I am sure you knew that.

Nick M3
10-17-2003, 10:02 AM
I saw a blue one the other day on Style 37 M parallels. :drool: :cry: :jawdrop:

bren
10-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Just a thought, but have you looked into the insurance costs? I would think something like this may be difficult/expensive to insure for its market value.

TD
10-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Just a thought, but have you looked into the insurance costs? I would think something like this may be difficult/expensive to insure for its market value.

For the record, the idea is dead.

We're getting a Saab Aero wagon (5-spd) instead. More space, a lot newer, FWD, and CHEAPER.