PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wish the high beam control was still on the floor?

Bruce330cic
10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Or is it just me? I remember driving my parents old Chevy's and Ford's when I was learning to drive and you turned the brights on/off by pressing a knob on the floor. I really liked having the switch there and find it awkward to have it controlled by the steering wheel stalk. Anyone else feel this same way, or am I just the odd duck out?

TD
10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Personally, I'd rather have the dead pedal that's there now.

operknockity
10-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Yep. You are the odd duck out. Having the light controls on the stalk is oh so convenient!

I'd much rather have the dead pedal than the hi-beam light and the e-brake pedal on the floor.

clyde
10-19-2003, 08:20 PM
What are you guys smoking? It's not an either/or proposition. Floor switches and dead pedals can peacefully coexist. Have you guys ever spent a serious amount of time driving a car with floor switches? I've owned three(?) cars with them. I miss it.

dan
10-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Have you guys ever spent a serious amount of time driving a car with floor switches?

No. In fact, I've never driven a car with a floor switch. :P

dredmo
10-19-2003, 08:31 PM
I like having the dead pedal. I always hated having the e-brake on the floor but the beams were kinda nice. I like the beams bettter on the column personally though.

Mathew
10-19-2003, 09:37 PM
No. In fact, I've never driven a car with a floor switch. :P

Me neither.

operknockity
10-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Have you guys ever spent a serious amount of time driving a car with floor switches? I've owned three(?) cars with them. I miss it.
I've spent more than my fair share of time in cars with floor switches/e-brakes. Hell, even learned to drive in cars with the floor switches and e-brakes. Don't miss 'em one iota! (Though I do miss some of the cars)

Masskrug
10-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Or is it just me? I remember driving my parents old Chevy's and Ford's when I was learning to drive and you turned the brights on/off by pressing a knob on the floor. I really liked having the switch there and find it awkward to have it controlled by the steering wheel stalk. Anyone else feel this same way, or am I just the odd duck out?

Heheheheh.

Yeah I remember those little dull tin divoted buttons on the floor.

I MUCH prefer the stalk control now.

Maybe it should be moved to the center console?

operknockity
10-19-2003, 11:35 PM
Maybe it should be moved to the center console?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nate
10-19-2003, 11:48 PM
I've never seen a car that has high beams on the floor :?:

I am confortable where the switch is now...

operknockity
10-20-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't think any cars have had the high beam switch on the floor since the late 70s or early 80s.

clyde
10-20-2003, 08:28 AM
I don't think any cars have had the high beam switch on the floor since the late 70s or early 80s.

The newest one that I've had was a 1976 Olds Delta 88

Eugie Baange
10-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Now *there's* something I haven't thought about in years.
Floor dimmers... any of you babes-in-the-woods remember three on the tree?

What I *did* like about floor dimmers was that you could REALLY stomp on 'em. "A**hole's got his brights on" STOMP!STOMP!STOMP!

Great stress reliever

clyde
10-20-2003, 12:22 PM
Now *there's* something I haven't thought about in years.
Floor dimmers... any of you babes-in-the-woods remember three on the tree?

:raiseshand: (although I never owned one).

What I *did* like about floor dimmers was that you could REALLY stomp on 'em. "A**hole's got his brights on" STOMP!STOMP!STOMP!

Great stress reliever

Not to mention that you could eat, drink, smoke, snort, shoot and damn near anything else while getting blown and still be able to hit the brights without disturbing anything else. :thumbup:

zach
10-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Not to mention that you could eat, drink, smoke, snort, shoot and damn near anything else while getting blown and still be able to hit the brights without disturbing anything else. :thumbup:

Laugh Out Loud. :lol:

Mathew
10-20-2003, 12:25 PM
LOL I'd hate to be one of your passenger :paranoid:

blee
10-20-2003, 02:22 PM

Especially the one in the front seat. I just won't do some of those.

rost12
10-20-2003, 02:23 PM
In fact, I've never driven a car with a floor switch. :P

:!:

Roadstergal
10-20-2003, 05:05 PM
I've driven cars with a floor brake, but never a floor dimmer.

And I will never hitch a ride with clyde. :paranoid:

clyde
10-20-2003, 06:34 PM

Especially the one in the front seat. I just won't do some of those.

no offense, but you're not exactly my type.

3LOU5
10-20-2003, 11:46 PM
Nope.

;)

ZBB
10-27-2003, 03:18 PM
My first car had a floor dimmer switch, 3-on-the-tree, an ignition to the left of the steering wheel. It didn't have a e-brake pedal, but did have a dash-mounted e-brake handle --- pull straight out to activate, twist clockwise and push in to deactivate. It also had a lever on the dash (with a locking pin) to activate 4 wheel drive. There were also push-pull knobs for choke and throttle on the dash (the throttle was essentially a poor-man's cruise control -- but it just held the rpm constant).

Oh -- and it had an extra unguaged gas tank with a valve on the driveshaft hump. I'd run it off the unguaged tank until it went dry... then I'd bump the shift lever up to neutral, reach down to the right to move the valve 90 degrees, pump the gas 3-4 times and reach left to turn the key to restart the engine, throw the clutch back in and put it back in 3rd gear (which was usable above 15mph). Usually could do all that in about 5 seconds and only barely slow down.

Ah the memories of my '65 Toyota Landcruiser

dan
01-02-2004, 11:30 AM
look here--still trying to figure out what the button down there does

http://www.puresportscar.com/gallery/data/528/2Elise-Saffron-interior-clos.jpg

Plaz
01-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Holy crap -- that really is a spartan interior.

dan
01-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Holy crap -- that really is a spartan interior.

actually that's the more plush interior you get with the Touring package.

:paranoid:

dan
01-02-2004, 03:27 PM
PS, I found out that that isn't a switch; it's one of the front wishbone mounting bolts.