PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Low - Should I be worried?

Bruce330cic
10-19-2003, 06:29 PM
So today I'm driving over the Hollywood Hills to Beverly Hills to get my haircut. I look down and the yellow oil lamp is illuminated. I think, that's strange since my car only has 7,800 miles on it. I get my hair cut and one the drive home the light does not come on. I check the oil level and it is at the minimum mark. I'm wondering why my car would be consuming oil. I do have to go up and over the H'wood Hills every day to get to work and those hills are kind of steep, but could that be contributing to my oil consumption.

Anyway, I went to the dealer to buy a quart, but the parts department was closed. I'll go back tomorrow. While at the dealer (Century West) I looked at some of the new 5 series for a bit. They had a mark up of $5,000 over sticker on them. A man was buying one as I was leaving. I hate that So Cal dealers have mark ups on new models.....They did have a CPO 2003 Imola Red/Grey M3 'vert.....YUMMY!

TD
10-19-2003, 06:30 PM
So today I'm driving over the Hollywood Hills to Beverly Hills to get my haircut. I look down and the yellow oil lamp is illuminated. I think, that's strange since my car only has 7,800 miles on it. I get my hair cut and one the drive home the light does not come on. I check the oil level and it is at the minimum mark. I'm wondering why my car would be consuming oil. I do have to go up and over the H'wood Hills every day to get to work and those hills are kind of steep, but could that be contributing to my oil consumption.

Anyway, I went to the dealer to buy a quart, but the parts department was closed. I'll go back tomorrow. While at the dealer (Century West) I looked at some of the new 5 series for a bit. They had a mark up of $5,000 over sticker on them. A man was buying one as I was leaving. I hate that So Cal dealers have mark ups on new models.....They did have a CPO 2003 Imola Red/Grey M3 'vert.....YUMMY!

Many/most 330s burn oil. It's normal. Just buy a case of oil and add as needed.

Bruce330cic
10-19-2003, 06:33 PM

Many/most 330s burn oil. It's normal. Just buy a case of oil and add as needed.

OK, thanks. Good to hear that it is not a problem. :smile:

Masskrug
10-19-2003, 06:34 PM

You have a 3.0 L engine I presume from you handle.

From searching archives on the 'other' forum, it appears that the 3 L engine likes to eat oil as evidenced by the experiences of other owners.

I looked this up as my X5 has consumed about 1/2 a quart over 4000 miles since I DIY'ed a break-in oil change. My 2.5L eats NO oil over 15000 miles. My previous 323i with the M52TU 2.3L I6 chewed up NO oil over 30000 miles.

kognito
10-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Ummm. Bruce, start checking your oil more regularly. . .Like others have said, these engines are known to use oil. Do you really want to really on an "idiot" light to tell you when to add it???

Roadstergal
10-20-2003, 05:07 PM
When I fill a car with gas, I check the oil and wipe down the engine bay. Give it a shot; it'll keep your eye on things and keep the bay, er, cleaner. ;)

Bruce330cic
10-20-2003, 07:12 PM
I wipe out the engine bay when I'm drying my car after a wash. I just hadn't thought about checking the engine oil yet since the car only has 7,800 miles on it...I know, I was stupid. I bought some BMW oil today and topped the oil off and I will check it regularly from now on. I will be a good BMW owner! :smile:

operknockity
10-20-2003, 08:14 PM
And while you are under the hood, don't forget to check the other fluids too (coolant, brake, steering, HID :lol:, etc., etc.) and the tire pressure.

Bruce330cic
10-20-2003, 08:23 PM
There's OTHER fluids too?!?!?!? Who knew....j/k.... :smile:

operknockity
10-20-2003, 10:32 PM
There's OTHER fluids too?!?!?!? Who knew....j/k.... :smile:
Yup.. That HID fluid is a killer, too :mad:

SteveM
10-20-2003, 11:04 PM
You mustn't forget the blinker fluid either.

3LOU5
10-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Nah. Oil is overrated.

Just drive it until the engine seizes up. Then, you'll have a perfect excuse to get that M3.

:lol:

RKT BMR
10-21-2003, 04:26 PM
and the tire pressure.Ditto on this!

Noticed my front left looked low this weekend... Checked it, and it was 20psi!!!!! Hadn't checked the shoes for two or three months.

Checked the other three (they all looked okay), and every tire was underpressure some.

I got lazy. Used to check 'em weekly, but didn't have to add air more than 1x a month or so. I'm back on the weekly checking schedule...