PDA

View Full Version : cargo bag on sunroof?

Optimus Prime
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
We're going to North Dakota for the weekend in the X3, we'll have 4 people and 2 dogs. My FIL gave me a Rain X cargo bag http://http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-161040-Roof-Top-Cargo/dp/B000CACMMM (link) It'll mainly have clothes and other soft/light objects.

The panoramic sunroof extends pretty far back, but I'm not sure the sunroof should have any weight on it. Thougts?

equ
09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
ND for the weekend? I thought North Dakota was a day's drive or more from any human inhabited area....

Just pack it with light voluminous stuff like you said and tape over the sunroof button... You might want to put a sheet or a soft cloth of some sort between that and the paint.

ZBB
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
We only strapped things to the top of our X3 for short trips to Goodwill, and they were usually hard items, not soft bags, and were always a bit wider than the roof rails.

I'd try to keep things off the roof and glass itself. You should be able use some rope to make a webbing between the roof rails to keep the bag from touching -- might have to pull it tight and with some extra loops here and there, but then you could set the bag up on top and secure it separately. The webbing could stay on once you reach ND -- shouldn't pose a problem for short trips there...

RMR
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
once the glass roof is closed i assume it sits down and frames into a slight lip on the steel roof. not sure how thick the glass is but it has to be designed for some loading in the form of snow build up. Any proper designed roof structure (i am going on a limb here but I assume a car is the same) has to be designed to hold at least 15 to 20 psf for snow load.

to be safe look into a load bar setup and anchor the bag at points on that and let sag between those. or the safest bet obviously is a cargo tray.

Optimus Prime
09-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I built a cargo tray from PVC... :eeps:

ff
09-02-2009, 09:13 AM
We're going to North Dakota for the weekend

Sorry to hear that. :(

;)

The Fargo cops are ass wipes. Just so you know.

Optimus Prime
09-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear that. :(

;)

The Fargo cops are ass wipes. Just so you know.

Thanks for the heads up. My Grandpa recently (last couple years) bought about 1000 acres up there and he's been begging for us to go up. We were going to do Thanksgiving last year, but I came down with the flu.

I could use the get away from civilization for a few days, I'll catch up on some reading.

dan
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd just strap the thing on and not worry about it.

Mr. The Edge
09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd just strap the thing on and not worry about it.

TMI :ack: