PDA

View Full Version : Got some frozen rotors...

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-18-2003, 11:48 AM
I don't know what bumped into my head. I ordered a set of frozen rotors for my E46 rear axle. Slotted and frozen to be exact. Still waiting for the OEM fronts to wear out so that I can get frozen ones as well.

Back to my original intention of posting...FROZEN ROTORS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!! :cry:

Nick M3
10-18-2003, 11:57 AM
So, uh, why did you get the frozen rotors?

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Long story....anyway, I am seeing it as a long term kind of investment, hoping that these frozen platters will perform much better. As long as the total cost (along with my 330i front brake upgrade over the summer) does not exceed the price of a new brembo upgrade. Otherwise, I will be officially dumb.

scottn2retro
10-20-2003, 02:04 PM
From what I understand, cryogenically treating the rotors doesn't affect the performance, but helps them last longer by being less prone to 'warping' (and whether rotors actually warp or not is another debate).

How much more did the cryo treated ones cost? I guess depending on the application, it becomes a cost/beneifit tradeoff.

TD
10-20-2003, 02:06 PM
From what I understand, cryogenically treating the rotors doesn't affect the performance, but helps them last longer by being less prone to 'warping' (and whether rotors actually warp or not is another debate).

How much more did the cryo treated ones cost? I guess depending on the application, it becomes a cost/beneifit tradeoff.

I managed to "warp" my Frozen Rotors in around 10K miles. I'm looking to get them ground down and slap them back on as I seem to have already warped their replacements.

scottn2retro
10-20-2003, 02:53 PM

I managed to "warp" my Frozen Rotors in around 10K miles. I'm looking to get them ground down and slap them back on as I seem to have already warped their replacements.

How long do untreated rotors last you?

I know for the race car, they are legal in stock class, and I asked Alex why he didn't use them and he said it just wasn't worth the extra money :dunno: (But then again, he got OEMs sponsored)

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-20-2003, 03:20 PM
I bought the OEM rotors that are frozen. I am guesing the freezing process is about $50 each rotor. Slotting is $45 each rotor. No cross drilling for me.

After 7 schools and 3 AutoXs, I have yet to replace the rear rotors. But I am expecting the sensor to come on anytime soon....

scottn2retro
10-20-2003, 03:26 PM
I bought the OEM rotors that are frozen. I am guesing the freezing process is about $50 each rotor. Slotting is $45 each rotor. No cross drilling for me.

After 7 schools and 3 AutoXs, I have yet to replace the rear rotors. But I am expecting the sensor to come on anytime soon....

That sounds like good durability. How many schools does HACK get on a set of rotors? (dare we use Stuka for a data point?)

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-20-2003, 03:29 PM
I drive slow. :D It's really difficult to compare the durability of my rotors to the "crazy" people.

Remember...I had 31000 miles on my Pilot Sports before they retire. Stuka booed me for that. :roll:

nate
10-20-2003, 03:38 PM
I think that I warped my slotted/frozen rotors this weekned :(

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 08:13 AM
Tom, try some different pads.

It's pretty clear the HPS can't withstand your driving. (Some Axxis Ultimates might even clear off the crap on your rotors without any resurfacing.)

The HACK
10-21-2003, 11:58 AM

That sounds like good durability. How many schools does HACK get on a set of rotors? (dare we use Stuka for a data point?)

Well, the first 3 schools were done on the cross drilled rotors and they cracked. Otherwise they still had good life on them. So far in 2 schools with the OEM rotors they seem to hold up very well. I don't think I'm going to get 7 schools like MPS, maybe 1 season's worth, about 4-5 schools tops.

scottn2retro
10-21-2003, 02:01 PM

How much use have you gotten out of them?

TD
10-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Tom, try some different pads.

It's pretty clear the HPS can't withstand your driving. (Some Axxis Ultimates might even clear off the crap on your rotors without any resurfacing.)

I see Zeckhausen sells them. I wonder if he offers a Fest discount. (Hey, I'm not proud - and I'm CHEAP!).

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:22 PM
IIRC, his listed price is pretty close to rock bottom in the first place.

If the ultimates don't do it, I think you're gonna have to go to track pads for the street. ;)

TD
10-21-2003, 11:23 PM

If the ultimates don't do it, I think you're gonna have to go to track pads for the street. ;)

Within a week or two, I'm going to have to post a tire recommendation thread. My fronts are damn near bald.

TD
10-21-2003, 11:25 PM

Also, can you (or anyone) see a problem with continuing to run the HPS pads in the rear and running something like the Ultimates up front?

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Nope, no issue. You might have a slightly greater front brake bias.

(On the other hand, the popular bf.c E36 M3 track setup is Ultimate rears with some track pad up front, so the brake bias issue can't be bad.)

And how soon are you looking for tires? I may have a pair of ~60% tread S-03s available in the near future if you want something cheap while you wear out the MXes.

TD
10-21-2003, 11:34 PM
Nope, no issue. You might have a slightly greater front brake bias.

(On the other hand, the popular bf.c E36 M3 track setup is Ultimate rears with some track pad up front, so the brake bias issue can't be bad.)

And how soon are you looking for tires? I may have a pair of ~60% tread S-03s available in the near future if you want something cheap while you wear out the MXes.

That'd work.

You got it about right. The front S-03s are near bald but the Kumho's still probably have another 5K on them (~40%).

Are they the standard BMW front size of 225/45/17?

nate
10-21-2003, 11:35 PM

How much use have you gotten out of them?

If they aren't warped, there is actaully quite a bit of life on them. Probably had equivalent of 3.5 track weekends on them and a few thousand street miles.

I think the vibration might just be heavy grooving from the pads. Will see after some more time on street pads :oops:

nate
10-21-2003, 11:37 PM

If it weren't for the whole NVH and horribly corrosive dust, I would love it :eek:

Nick M3
10-21-2003, 11:39 PM
Are they the standard BMW front size of 225/45/17?

Yep.

Only tires I own that are a standard BMW size. :D

Mr Paddle.Shift
10-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Update:

Rear frozen platters are on since yesterday. Will take picture tonight or something. Gosh...I didn't know it feels so different with new rear platters. What's the braking ratio of our E46 anyway?

mquetel
11-05-2003, 12:18 AM
Can someone explain to the resident dunce ( :wink2: ) how do you warp rotors?

Nick M3
11-05-2003, 12:42 AM
You don't. Not anymore, anyway.

You leave melted pad crap on them which feels liek a warped rotor.

mquetel
11-05-2003, 01:19 AM
You don't. Not anymore, anyway.

You leave melted pad crap on them which feels liek a warped rotor.

Got it, thanks... :thumbup:

The HACK
11-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Update:

Rear frozen platters are on since yesterday. Will take picture tonight or something. Gosh...I didn't know it feels so different with new rear platters. What's the braking ratio of our E46 anyway?

It's all psychological. Frozen rotors do not improve performance, they improve the LIFE of the rotor.

What's happening is probably the original rear rotors are near or below spec, and there's a lip already developed on the rotors. So when new rotor is installed, that pushed the pads back a little, and if you did not evacuate any fluid, that's going to cause the pedal to be slightly stiffer than it used to be, and the lack of a lip on the rotor will create a better contact surface with the pads.

Unless you switched pads at the same time too.