PDA

View Full Version : Marketplace etiquette question

Optimus Prime
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I've got 8 tires for sale, 4 winter and 4 summer. I've had a lot of interest in the winter and have a deal pretty much wrapped up. I'd have to drive to Indy to drop them off (6 hours round trip)

A second buyer came along a couple hours latter and said he's interested in the whole set or none at all, and he's willing to cover shipping.

The second offer is the better offer for me. Is it bad form to back out of the first deal (no money has exchanged hands, etc.) to go with the better deal for me? I'm generally not inclinced to back out of a deal if someone comes in with a little better offer, but this is a pretty big difference in my mind. I'm not sure if it's cool to back out of the first one.

Thoughts?

dan
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I've got 8 tires for sale, 4 winter and 4 summer. I've had a lot of interest in the winter and have a deal pretty much wrapped up. I'd have to drive to Indy to drop them off (6 hours round trip)

A second buyer came along a couple hours latter and said he's interested in the whole set or none at all, and he's willing to cover shipping.

The second offer is the better offer for me. Is it bad form to back out of the first deal (no money has exchanged hands, etc.) to go with the better deal for me? I'm generally not inclinced to back out of a deal if someone comes in with a little better offer, but this is a pretty big difference in my mind. I'm not sure if it's cool to back out of the first one.

Thoughts?

Define "pretty much wrapped up".

Optimus Prime
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Define "pretty much wrapped up".

We've been discussing a time/place to meet in Indy.

equ
08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
6hr round-trip drive for a set of tires.... Oof. That will cost at least $50 in gas and tolls (not counting wear and tear).

FC
08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I think it's perfectly reasonable to tell the person that you have another buyer willing to take the whole set without having to drive 6 hours. If he matches the other deal, great, otherwise, tough luck.

That is what deposits are for. The guy who bought my ZHP insisted on and paypal'ed a $500 deposit within 5 minutes of hanging up the phone.

Plaz
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I'd give the first guy a chance to meet the terms of the second offer, but wouldn't feel obliged to close with the first guy on the less favorable terms. :dunno:

ff
08-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd give the first guy a chance to meet the terms of the second offer, but wouldn't feel obliged to close with the first guy on the less favorable terms. :dunno:

Agree with FC and Plaz. That's what I would've suggested too.

rumatt
08-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I think I disagree.

If you negotiated the price, and said the words "OK deal" or "they're yours" then it's too late to back out.

That's how I do all my sales anyway. There's either a verbal deal or there isn't. Once the deal is in place, it's done.

If you worded it all hypothetically, "If we were to have a deal, where would we meet?" then it's fine. It all depends on what you said to the guy.

FC
08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I think I disagree.

If you negotiated the price, and said the words "OK deal" or "they're yours" then it's too late to back out.

That's how I do all my sales anyway. There's either a verbal deal or there isn't. Once the deal is in place, it's done.

If you worded it all hypothetically, "If we were to have a deal, where would we meet?" then it's fine. It all depends on what you said to the guy.

Well, that is true. I think if it was verbally a game set match, that is a bit sleazy to back out of. But then again, I think the guy would understand.

rumatt
08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
But then again, I think the guy would understand.

I wouldn't. It would piss me off, and ensure that I never deal with the seller again.

Breaking a verbal contract because you realized you can make a few more bucks is not cool at all.

FC
08-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't. It would piss me off, and ensure that I never deal with the seller again.

Breaking a verbal contract because you realized you can make a few more bucks is not cool at all.

Well, it's not a few bucks. It's the advantage of ridding himself of the 2nd set plus all that delivery hassle. But then again, you are right. If he agreed tot it...

dan
08-12-2009, 03:29 PM
rumratt is right

Optimus Prime
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I see it both ways.

First, I told the buyer early on that I'd prefer to sell all the tires to one buyer. He said he just wanted the winter tires. Second, I hadn’t actually said “done deal” but we were arranging a place to meet. I would usually stick with the plan in motion, but another buyer is looking to come through with, what I was very upfront about, my preferred sell. Third, I’ve had buyers back out right at the end before. They’ve lost nothing and I’ve driven and/or turned down equal offers just to have the buyer walk. I’ve since started turning towards the idea that if they have nothing binding them to the sale, then either do I.

It feels like a dick move, but I’ve been screwed before and that’s jaded my POV.

clyde
08-12-2009, 04:48 PM
How are you going to feel if the guy doesn't show in Indy? Whether he intentionally backs out because he found a better deal locally or someone in his family dies or he crashes his car on the way, the end result is the same...you drive out there and don't make the sale. The odds may be against it, but still.

From what you've described, I'd feel pretty shitty about telling him "too bad" right now, too, but it's also a bird in hand kind of thing.

I might tell the guy what's up and ask him if he's willing to pay you up front (paypal or whatever) so that you know that you're not going to get screwed. If he's not...

John V
08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
rumratt is right

who?

ZBB
08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
The closest to this situation I've been in is when we sold the MINI...

Interested Party A contacted us within hours of the posting going up on Craigslist. He was from out of town, but had a local friend meet up with us for a test drive the next afternoon. He dropped a note later that evening saying he was interested, but did not mention price.

The next day, we were contacted by Interested Party B. He came and test drove the car and made an offer a few hundred dollars below our asking, and that he could bring payment and pick it up the next day. I let him know that someone else was also interested, and that I had to also let him make an offer before agreeing to sell.

I contacted A to let him know that B had made an offer and was meeting us the next afternoon to complete the sale. I didn't hear back from him until after B met us at the bank to complete the sale. A sounded a bit disappointed, but understood when I told him we already sold the car...

kognito
08-17-2009, 12:20 AM
tell A you decided to keep the whole set,

sell to B

you are not selling the tires to make someone else happy, are you? It is a tough economy, do what is best for your wallet.

Melissa
08-19-2009, 11:29 AM
I definitely wouldn't make the trip without some money already in my hands.

Make a weekend of it. The MotoGP at Indy starts on the 28th. :cool:

lupinsea
08-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Isn't that a common tactic among car sales men?

nbj
08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm no contract attorney but from your description of the salient facts, it appears that there was an offer, an acceptance, a meeting of the minds, and consideration...

Melissa
09-03-2009, 08:58 AM
So what'd you decide to do?

Optimus Prime
09-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I let the first buyer know that a second buyer had made an offer for the both sets, but that I didn't want to pull the rug out from under buyer number 1. That if he'd like both sets, that'd be great, but at a minimum I was going to need a deposit to drive 3 hours to sell the winter tires.

buyer #1 flipped out saying that a deposit was BS... rant rant rant, it ended up with him telling me that he was only 40% sure he was going to buy my tires because he was bidding on another set on Ebay, but I was his backup... and I better be there with the tires no matter what. :?

Buyer #2 sent a deposit straight away and I shipped both sets to Canada, he has the tires and is happy with their condition.

ff
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
buyer #1 flipped out saying that a deposit was BS... rant rant rant, it ended up with him telling me that he was only 40% sure he was going to buy my tires because he was bidding on another set on Ebay, but I was his backup... and I better be there with the tires no matter what. :?

People are effin' weird.

Melissa
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
People are effin' weird.

+1 No kidding. What an asshat. Asking for a deposit for something that is not a small amount of money is not at all unreasonable, ESPECIALLY if you are expected to deliver it!!

Sounds like the type of person who would've either a) bailed on you and not met you at all or b) complained when you got there and ended up not buying at all.

FC
09-03-2009, 11:41 AM
+1 No kidding. What an asshat. Asking for a deposit for something that is not a small amount of money is not at all unreasonable, ESPECIALLY if you are expected to deliver it!!

:+1

Rob
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, so I am guessing you are pleased to have raised the issue. Saved a lot of trouble.

clyde
09-03-2009, 01:12 PM

fucktard

operknockity
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
fucktard

:+1

Mr. The Edge
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
clyde was right.