PDA

View Full Version : MF'ing HARD WATER!! GDI!!

Theo
07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
So needless to say the sigificant other parked the M5 next to a sprinkler system in the middle of the day and of course they went off. The water of course sat in the hot sun for about 5 hours and nicely etched itself into the hood and passenger side fender and front door.

Now aside from having to go spend $$$$ on a pro detailer how the f**k do you get that shit out. I have already tried two coats of griots fine hand polish and my porter cable. While it reduced it a little there are definetly the outlines of the hard water still staring at me.

I dont want to press any harder as not to put damage into the paint.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! And yes I have tried diluted vinegar.

F**K!!

Edit: Ok got that out. Now I feel a little better. Whew

BahnBaum
07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
If a pc and some polish didn't get it then they're prolly etched into the clearcoat. I've heard of people who have wet sanded and not been able to fix it entirely. Talk to a pro.

Alex

Theo
07-29-2009, 04:50 PM
If a pc and some polish didn't get it then they're prolly etched into the clearcoat. I've heard of people who have wet sanded and not been able to fix it entirely. Talk to a pro.

Alex

That's what I figured Alex. Thanks for the comment. Off to the pro's.

Btw who the hell waters in the middle of the dam day. That just burns the grass.

Sorry for the rank. Just pissed.

I also had this happen to a much less extent on the E36. I never did get it all out.

ff
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
If you figure out a solution, let me know what it is, because nothing will remove the hard water spots from our glass shower walls. Not even CLR + a razor blade. I get the feeling that the hard water etches any surface that it lands on.

Though, I've had hard water spots stuck to the cars before, and they always seem to disappear after a few washings. I'd give it a few weeks to see if they "fade" away.

Theo
07-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Just called the shop I use for all my body work. They said to bring it by tomorrow so they could take a look.

Rob
07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I have had people tell me hard water spots were etched into the paint several times. I have managed to get rid of them always.

Were you using fine hand polish with your orbital? That's not what fine hand polish is made for. Get out the machine polish and see what happens. I don't think you can press too hard with foam pads and machine polish 3. In fact, I doubt you can press to hard with Machine Polish 1. Of course, it's a moot point since you are going to a pro, but there you go. If you caught it within one day, I am fairly certain no spots will be visible in a couple of weeks.

Theo
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Oh shit yeah. Read up online that clay bars work sometime. Just did a test section and there is hope!!!! Stay tuned.

Nick M3
07-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish are are pretty impressive combination. Meguiar's M105 is supposed to be absolutely amazing for taking out paint defects with an orbital as it does not break down.

Theo
07-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Ok the clay seems to be doing the trick. Some places take more work then others but its coming off. Thank god. Oh and this is really what a wanted to do on my day off. NOT

Might not have to kill the SO after all, but I should get a dinner out of fixing it!!

PS - Thanks for all the suggestions.

I also found this thread if anyone needs to use it.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4891